British Speedway Forum

I thoroughly enjoyed the SWC Final tonight on the Television. All Riders were committed, the Racing was fantastic and the last Heat - WOW!!!

I think, that for me too, it was the BEST Televised Meeting I have ever seen. As most on here know - I HATE the so called 'Joker' with a passion (and I still do). At least the Aussies got to use it this time for a FAIR Result. I thought they may not get the chance at it and lose as they did last year - because of it.

No complaints from me this time, all used the Joker, Poland are the best Team and deserved Winners. :approve:

I thought Crumpy was magnanimous in defeat - a true Sportsman. NICE TO SEE!!! :approve: :approve:

Maybe you would have said the same about Ivan Mauger at the time, all he had was fast bikes and was quick out of the gate, he wasn't a thrill merchant by any means, just immaculate.

I didn't see Mauger ride in his heyday.. but from what I am told he could be immaculate at any shaped track, size or condition. There's a difference.

Track chosen to suit the Poles. Polish Federation provides new engines to every rider and top tuner(s)/local experts. Ok, went pear-shaped in first 8 heats (note all the Poles struggled) but once they'd sussed it, every Polish rider benefitted. No other federation makes such an effort, Russia the possible exception but their riders simply not good enough.

Can you explain Davy Watts' antic then or even Nickis' slowing down , was that not cheating as well ?

Nicki Pedersenmanship appeased his Polish paymasters again in the penultimate heat.

As for Davy Watt, I might be wrong but I thought there was a rule in speedway that riders had to make an effort to race, or something along those lines? Maybe SCB can confirm?

Edited by george.m

I thoroughly enjoyed the SWC Final tonight on the Television. All Riders were committed, the Racing was fantastic and the last Heat - WOW!!!

I think, that for me too, it was the BEST Televised Meeting I have ever seen. As most on here know - I HATE the so called 'Joker' with a passion (and I still do). At least the Aussies got to use it this time for a FAIR Result. I thought they may not get the chance at it and lose as they did last year - because of it.

No complaints from me this time, all used the Joker, Poland are the best Team and deserved Winners. :approve:

I thought Crumpy was magnanimous in defeat - a true Sportsman. NICE TO SEE!!! :approve: :approve:

The racing was good tonight, but don't think it was the best televised meeting ever.

There have been some previous World cup finals and especially race-offs that were better. The Race-off at Poole springs to mind. What is clear, is that team racing is so much more thrilling than Individual.

Just shows you can't please all of the peeple; all of the time...

...that was the BEST (bar none) speedway meeting I have ever watched on TV, granted I have only been a die-hard for the last few years... but FFS... the racing was everything I would want in a Speedway meeting! :cheers:

It was a very good meeting, but the best? Come on now, what about e.g. the 2006 Polish GP at Bydgoszcz? Or the 2004 World Cup race-off or 2007 World Cup Final? Or the 2006 Elite League play-off final. Seems you have the Sky TV mentaility of calling the most recent the best :rolleyes:

All the best

Rob

I see a few people here are suggesting cheating by the Poles. If there was any suggestion of cheating would those in the pits next to them, racing against them and better qualified to judge such have not said something.

Just a thought! :rolleyes:

Well I have come on here and am quite suprised that some are realy raving about tonights meeting. Thought it was pretty average stuff myself with a couple of good heats thrown in amoungst the dross.

Nothing more than that.

Poland worthy winners as expected. Only thing I didn't expect was that Australia would do so well and run them up to the penultimate heat.

Thought something was amiss though as for the first 8-9 heats Poland were off the pace then won by the length of a straight. Hope the machine examiner checks all bikes just to be sure nothing is untoward.

Hopefully the final will be in the UK next year, or in Sweden. Be very unfair to have the Poles host the final again.

Spot on SCB, TBH I think that every year.

Same here, I love the SWC. It's always great racing. You get the top guys riding it some but you also get some lesser lights riding out of their skins to prove a point.

Nicki Pedersenmanship appeased his Polish paymasters again in the penultimate heat.

As for Davy Watt, I might be wrong but I thought there was a rule in speedway that riders had to make an effort to race, or something along those lines? Maybe SCB can confirm?

A rider does have to make a bona-fida attempt to race but the penalty is exclusion, so pretty pointless.

As for Nicki Pedersen and anything he did, I doubt he was aware of the permutation and how finishing last would have meant no Aussie joker. Jesus, I doubt Boycey had thought about it, so Nicki certainly wouldn't have done!

And picking watt ahead of schlein has backfired too !! watt was shocking tonight !!

but you half expected him to be, Ward was the weakest link. Perhaps on this Troy should be ahead of Ward for a wildcard GP entry

A true 'great' wouldn't struggle. That is my point. Gollob is brilliant on the tracks that suit him, I am not denying that. A top class rider, but not one of the best ever.

He was brilliant last season on ALL tracks tho. :rolleyes:

How you compare him i`ll never know. But MUST rank amongst the greats alongside Ricko, crump, mauger, fundin (although their amount of world titles will and should put them ahead in the term of greatness.)

To a modern generation (post 90`s) then Gollob would be classed as one of the best ever. There is nothing wrong in that.

I didn't see Mauger ride in his heyday.. but from what I am told he could be immaculate at any shaped track, size or condition. There's a difference.

That's true, he was fast everywhere, although I would have thought Ole will have had the better of him at Monmore on most occasions.

If you were to ask fans who attended regularly back then at any track up and down the country who they would look forward to seeing visit their home track I reckon it would be PC, not Mauger, or Olsen, now I wouldn't imagine that anyone would have an argument against Peter being seen as an all time great, why did everyone want to see him, because he was a proper racer, just like Gollob.

There's very rarely a dull moment when Gollob is on the track, you never know where he is going to come from if he's behind, he is a great speedway rider.

Whilst the riders gave it 100%, the track was super slick. Gate 1, like Cardiff was a grave yard.

Darcys ride off of four to cut back was so sublime. THJ looks a real fighter on the big Polish tracks.

Edited by superguest

Same here, I love the SWC. It's always great racing. You get the top guys riding it some but you also get some lesser lights riding out of their skins to prove a point.

A rider does have to make a bona-fida attempt to race but the penalty is exclusion, so pretty pointless.

Cheers mate, glad I wasn't having a senior moment. ;)

To a modern generation (post 90`s) then Gollob would be classed as one of the best ever. There is nothing wrong in that.

There is everything wrong with that LOL. How can you be the best EVER in the last 10 years?