British Speedway Forum
Ben91

Rye House 2012

I wonder how many of our young lads have approached clubs abroad, I bet there's hardly any. I bet there's also hardly any who are prepared to travel. Most of (not all) the young British riders are more interested in the lifestyle and being swooned over by 15 year old girls who for some reason adore them than actually going out and being successful in the sport, that's where we are going wrong. The riders have the wrong attitude.

Spot on Rocket Ben. As you mention, lifestyle and girls tend to be the main pursuit of all our youngsters. Ultimately the main problem lies with the riders themselves for not progressing, attitude and commitment.

Fancy websites, clothing and generally looking the part are not an excuse. Everyone rabbits on about money, money, money, no opportunitys - well wake up an smell the methanol. More opportunitys than ever exist to progress now than ever before. Its not up to BSPA, Individual tracks or what ever excuse is put up, its down to the individual and their commitment.

• Like 3

Its interesting when you see how Britannia rules the waves at such sports as Rowing and Cycling. What have they got so right in this country that Speedway could learn from ?

Its interesting when you see how Britannia rules the waves at such sports as Rowing and Cycling. What have they got so right in this country that Speedway could learn from ?

proper funding

proper funding

Spot on.Chris Hoy and many others have said about the amount of funding it has recieved especially from the lottery.It isn't a small amount either.They have been able to get the best coaches,equipment and training facilities.

So the only thing we are waiting for is a nice big lottery grant :P

proper funding

Funding goes a huge way towards it,dont get me wrong,but i do think that its alot to do with the individual involved,born winners,and intelligent at the same time

Clive Woodward once said after winning the World cup,his players had many ingredients to become world champs,but most of all they had the intelligence to win it

Football is awash with cash and training things but they are a bunch of brainless half wits and cant win an egg cup

When you compare Sir Chris Hoy with say Wayne Rooney or Brad Wiggins with John Terry,it shows the type of "person" needed to win stuff

May sound a bit elitist but facts dont lie

• Like 1

Funding goes a huge way towards it,dont get me wrong,but i do think that its alot to do with the individual involved,born winners,and intelligent at the same time

Clive Woodward once said after winning the World cup,his players had many ingredients to become world champs,but most of all they had the intelligence to win it

Football is awash with cash and training things but they are a bunch of brainless half wits and cant win an egg cup

When you compare Sir Chris Hoy with say Wayne Rooney or Brad Wiggins with John Terry,it shows the type of "person" needed to win stuff

May sound a bit elitist but facts dont lie

Quite agree Montie, funding in the wrong hands is just like pouring money down the drain. The funding and backing has to go into a structured system of training and support. Better coaching and more time from all clubs to bring on young british riders, with maybe some club owned and maintained equipment for first year riders ?

Maybe something along the lines of a small allocation of of the sky money could be in a pot and shared pro-rata to any clubs that can prove they provide junior training schools, 2nd half academy level races and can show marked improvement of regular users of their facilities.

Beginner - academy rider - NL - PL - EL.

I am sure some sort of incentive formula could be worked out by the BSPA or whoever

Well subsidised with Lottery Grants.

Afraid Speedway is not a PC sport and has obstacles instead of incentives in the UK.

Funding although useful it is not the only answer. As explained previously Football is the best example When did we last win the World Cup or European Championship? Take athletics they receive far more funding than Cycling or Rowing yet look at results.

The answer is much more basic its called dedication. I seem to remember Eric Boocock (now there is a straight talking man)I recall he once said "there were 4 - 5 youngsters comimg through, all went our drinking, clubbing and doing what teenagers do, only one stayed in and re-invested his meagre earnings back into his bike. At the time of the interview this rider was the only one not retired his name was Andrew Tully (take a bow sir).

Also look at the young Aussies. ofter barely 16, homesick and probably not got a potto %?&^ in. They come here sometimes stay in caravans or very basic accomodation, they eat, sleep live speedway, you see them in the pits at elite League matches watching Crump, Adams, Sullivan, Johnson and now Holder, Ward etc. Its not rocket science its called dedication.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear Jordan has decided to retire. I have to admit i was amazed that he signed for Rye in the first place,having seen a lot of him in his break through year in 2008, it was a strange move to go to a place that seem to nullify all he was good at. Gating was never one of his strong points, but coming back from behind was, a tactic that is extremely difficult at Rye if you miss the start. Maybe the idea was to improve his gating, but who knows.I hope he thinks about his decision, he is still young and has talent and maybe a change of scenery will help him. It`s a bit of a kick in the n**ts for the Rye fans, just walking out like that, I know how you feel having experienced that with Boxall. I hope the new Dane turns out to be ok, never heard of though, mind you not many had heard of Sundstrom.

If you are refering to team GB in speedway the solution would be to limit the amount of foreign riders per team to enable progress of the British riders through the sport. At the moment most teams in the higher levels (PL/EL) have several foreign riders in thier teams denying a place for a British youngster.

Although that said we still need to encourage kids into the sport and provide them with the best facilities to train and the best machinery etc. I guess until speedway becomes an Olympic sport this aint gonna happen.

I heard that in cycling there was a man who had a vision for british cycling a few years back and really started to make and then implement his plans for the greater future of british cycling. He no doubt was the one who sought and chased the funding necessary to make this all work. The point is, British speedway needs a consortium of intelligent people to take the sport in this country by the scruff of the neck and drag it back in line with the swedes,poles,danes etc. An independent governing body to have COMPLETE control over the running of british speedway. That means all leagues, all national teams and individual events......the whole shooting match. This would stop the bspa from continually trying to ruin our sport by putting the needs of their own clubs first all the time! The governing body should be nominated and elected by ALL clubs in Britain and could comprise of ex-riders, referees etc anyone with massive experience of the sport with a long term committment to improving the product........Now......convincing the useless twats at the bspa to relinquish control will be about as easy as standing in a bucket and then trying to lift that bucket up!!!!

I heard that in cycling there was a man who had a vision for british cycling a few years back and really started to make and then implement his plans for the greater future of british cycling. He no doubt was the one who sought and chased the funding necessary to make this all work. The point is, British speedway needs a consortium of intelligent people to take the sport in this country by the scruff of the neck and drag it back in line with the swedes,poles,danes etc. An independent governing body to have COMPLETE control over the running of british speedway. That means all leagues, all national teams and individual events......the whole shooting match. This would stop the bspa from continually trying to ruin our sport by putting the needs of their own clubs first all the time! The governing body should be nominated and elected by ALL clubs in Britain and could comprise of ex-riders, referees etc anyone with massive experience of the sport with a long term committment to improving the product........Now......convincing the useless twats at the bspa to relinquish control will be about as easy as standing in a bucket and then trying to lift that bucket up!!!!

I agree, but like you say things will neve change while the Promoters govern their own sport. Self interest will always rule. Present rulebook has to be binned and a new simplified version created.

What is needed Shadders is a complete independent review. This is what major sports do nowadays from time to time. Rugby League are currently having one looking at the governance of the sport. Of course it costs money and you have to implement the majority of the plans that are put forward otherwise there is no point. Speedway isn't like other sports though is it because the people running it want to make money out of it as it is, in a lot of cases, their livelihood.

Edited by Fourlapper

Rye House team change

http://www.ryehouse....am-Changes.aspx

Best of luck to Ritchie and welcome Simon Lambert

Edited by Shadders

Heard the news about Richie Hawkins, good luck wherever you ride and thanks for your efforts.

A wise decision to find new pastures as I believe you did give it your best shot and in the end that is all true fans can ask of any rider but things were heading South not North.