British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

Belle Vue V Sheffield Playoff Semi

From a fan point of view I'm gutted at this merger. We were told the team would be known as Scunthorpe /Sheffield Saints. 4 meetings at Sheffield and 5 at Scunthorpe. Bought the DVD of the dbl header at Sheffield because I'm not in agreement of having to travel from Scunny 60 miles to a home meeting. What did the DVD reveal. The matches headed as the Sheffield Prowlers and riders wearing the said named team jackets So upset of the loss of my team I didn't bring myself to watch the DVD. As I love this level of speedway and have watched these kids progress I will turn out to support them, but only at Scunny. Shock horror a lot will say, but tough. I feel hard done by. So UP THE SCORPIONS!

My god are there actually people like this out there? Get a grip!

Wrong,,, the start plan was to be known simply as the SAINTS,

Well according to the first press release to when the merger was announced- "I'm also pleased to announce that we will keep our own identities. We'll run under one umbrella, so the team will appear as Scunthorpe/Sheffield in the league table, but will race as Scunthorpe Saints at Scunthorpe and as Sheffield at Sheffield, probably resurrecting the Prowlers nickname. If, for argument's sake, the Isle of Wight come to Scunthorpe, it will be Scunthorpe who will go to the Isle of Wight for the return fixture but if Buxton go to Sheffield, then it will be Sheffield who go to Buxton”.

I myself have enjoyed the merger. We've seen some great up and coming talent at Sheffield and hopefully it will continue on to next season :)

Wow need to change the title of this thread now lol.

Crazier and crazier....the BSPA fixture listings for October have

Belle Vue v SCUNTHORPE

SHEFFIELD v Belle Vue

So which of all the previous naming explanations account for that???

Edited by manchesterpaul

Belle Vue v SCUNTHORPE

SHEFFIELD v Belle Vue

I supose it is because effectively the home meeting being at Sheffield it is the Sheffield Prowlers who are in the semi but they are conscious of upsetting the Scunny fans so they are calling the away meeting the The Saints.

It has been a great success really and the merger has worked well for both, maybe next season just call them Scunthorpe/Sheffield with no nickname then it can be just listed as that all season instead of one or other.

It has been a great success really and the merger has worked well for both, maybe next season just call them Scunthorpe/Sheffield with no nickname then it can be just listed as that all season instead of one or other.

It has been a little trial and error. Hopefully these little creases can be ironed out next year and it can go onto be a big success story

Edited by TMW

It has been a great success really and the merger has worked well for both

And has worked for the riders to,confirmed by Stefan Nilsson blasting around Owlerton on his first visit there

Success is drawn from the results,in the play offs,could still win the league and riders improved no end

The team is made up of mostly Scunny trained youngsters who's progressed at Scunny. Are sponsered by Local "Joton Company" and from day one have always been the "SAINTS".... TELL ME; " WHY DO THE NAME HAVE TO CHANGE?"........dont say to please Sheffield fans. As I can then say it upsets the Scunny fans! My feelings on this has nothing to do with how riders progress, they will whatever. ( these are determined riders ) At the end of the day I wish every one of these lads the best of luck and I'm sure they all have a fantastic future in the sport. Thats it from me.my point in the matter ends here.

The Belle Vue home leg has now been changed to the 28th September.

Edited by MrMungo

Belle Vue v SCUNTHORPE

SHEFFIELD v Belle Vue

The FARCE continues the Speedway Star fixtures list today has

Belle Vue v SHEFFIELD

Sheffield v Belle Vue

Any chance of anyone from the following bodies clarifying who is racing against who and quoting the rules as to WHY?

BSPA

SHEFFIELD

SCUNTHORPE

BELLE VUE

SPEEDWAY STAR

Edited by manchesterpaul

Well according to the first press release to when the merger was announced- "I'm also pleased to announce that we will keep our own identities. We'll run under one umbrella, so the team will appear as Scunthorpe/Sheffield in the league table, but will race as Scunthorpe Saints at Scunthorpe and as Sheffield at Sheffield, probably resurrecting the Prowlers nickname. If, for argument's sake, the Isle of Wight come to Scunthorpe, it will be Scunthorpe who will go to the Isle of Wight for the return fixture but if Buxton go to Sheffield, then it will be Sheffield who go to Buxton”.

Thanx for quoting the statement, coz it had reached a point where I began to think I'd imagined this! :rolleyes: For in doing progs for a couple of the 'away' tracks I've been mindful all year of following this protocol set - let us remember - by the new clubs concerned..

In my personal opinion it would've been far more sensible to call the team Scunthorpe/Sheffield (or, er, Sheffield/Scunthorpe :blink: ) from the outset, but it was their own decision not anyone elses and they have that right...: it's their 'buiness(es)...

I guess the logic then follows this into the play-offs where as the semi home leg's at Owlerton the away leg is branded as vs. Sheffield and then if they make the Final a similar approach would be taken; but surely at this juncture common sense (sadly lacking all year so far...) should prevail and they need to go with Sheffield/Scunthorpe (or vice versa).

Next year how about trying a 'neutral' name to avoid this...? :unsure:

Thanx for quoting the statement, coz it had reached a point where I began to think I'd imagined this! :rolleyes: For in doing progs for a couple of the 'away' tracks I've been mindful all year of following this protocol set - let us remember - by the new clubs concerned..

In my personal opinion it would've been far more sensible to call the team Scunthorpe/Sheffield (or, er, Sheffield/Scunthorpe :blink: ) from the outset, but it was their own decision not anyone elses and they have that right...: it's their 'buiness(es)...

I guess the logic then follows this into the play-offs where as the semi home leg's at Owlerton the away leg is branded as vs. Sheffield and then if they make the Final a similar approach would be taken; but surely at this juncture common sense (sadly lacking all year so far...) should prevail and they need to go with Sheffield/Scunthorpe (or vice versa).

Next year how about trying a 'neutral' name to avoid this...? :unsure:

You've certainly had a mind-bending task there Parsoles with the programmes. Regards the 'protocol' i point out again and ask for an explanation as to why, as mentioned in my previous post the BSPA have the ties as;

Belle Vue v SCUNTHORPE

SHEFFIELD v Belle Vue

Although amongst others the Speedway Star has;

The FARCE continues the Speedway Star fixtures list today has

Belle Vue v SHEFFIELD

Sheffield v Belle Vue

Any chance of anyone from the following bodies clarifying who is racing against who and quoting the rules as to WHY?

BSPA

SHEFFIELD

SCUNTHORPE

BELLE VUE

SPEEDWAY STAR

Incidentally regards the naming of the team, in order to avoid arguments of favouritism, one would really need to go by alphabetical order and have it as Scunthorpe/Sheffield. There is nothing wrong with using the dual name at ALL times and it is obviously of the greatest necessity to do so. To drop either Scunthorpe or Sheffield would be insane.

Edited by manchesterpaul

The team is made up of mostly Scunny trained youngsters who's progressed at Scunny. Are sponsered by Local "Joton Company" and from day one have always been the "SAINTS".... TELL ME; " WHY DO THE NAME HAVE TO CHANGE?"........dont say to please Sheffield fans. As I can then say it upsets the Scunny fans! My feelings on this has nothing to do with how riders progress, they will whatever. ( these are determined riders ) At the end of the day I wish every one of these lads the best of luck and I'm sure they all have a fantastic future in the sport. Thats it from me.my point in the matter ends here.

According to the Sheffield v IOW and Sheffield v Belle Vue double-header programme, they are the 'Prowlers' and sponsored by the Window Centre when racing at Owlerton.

Not sure id that clears anything up or not.

According to the Sheffield v IOW and Sheffield v Belle Vue double-header programme, they are the 'Prowlers' and sponsored by the Window Centre when racing at Owlerton.

Not sure id that clears anything up or not.

Totally wasting your time, the lady is wearing blinkers on the subject and won't listen to any reasoning on the subject.

My Opinion on the siuation is Who Cares what they are called as long as the team is successful at both venues and continues to win.