British Speedway Forum

Understandable that he wanted to leave Leicester. He was fantastic at Birmingham the previous year - what did Leicester do to him?

Not as much as Glasgow did to him after all, his average was even lower for them than for Leicester!

Surely its just a case of Brum naming a 'token' rider and chucking him a few quid to take on the role? Anyone would do.

Barker gets injured, and they are left with a National League rider to take the role? Can't see that going down too well with Brum fans.

Ah yes, but then they redeclare with someone who has a comparable average and will sign as they'll actually be getting some meetings. Or if its a long term injury they get someone in permanently from Europe. The point is a token squad member is all thats needed to allow Barker to double up.

Ah yes, but then they redeclare with someone who has a comparable average and will sign as they'll actually be getting some meetings. Or if its a long term injury they get someone in permanently from Europe. The point is a token squad member is all thats needed to allow Barker to double up.

is this a doubling up post doubled up? :D
  • Like 2

Not as much as Glasgow did to him after all, his average was even lower for them than for Leicester!

Seemed to be a rider totally lacking in confidence . Four riders leaving the tapes and heading into a first bend together , he'd be the one to back off .

My point for calling him judas was the way he left

Instead of saying he no longer wanted to ride for Leicester & that he wanted to move to another club he told everyone at Leicester that he was home sick that he had saved enough money & had booked a flight back to OZ.

When the truth was the only flight he had booked was to Glasgow international

So i stand by my comment that he is a coward & i'm sure alot of other Leicester supporters will agree that he is seen as Judas at Leicester he got a very hostile reception when he returned to ride for Glasgow .

Your post makes no sense. You call him Judas but how did he betray Leicester? It's not as if his form picked up in Glasgow.

And if he was, "exposed last year as not upto the grade" then he's not a Judas. Behind good enough doesn't make you a Judas.

Richard like many other riders before him had a poor season, it happens, sometimes to very good riders.

Taking a year out and staying in Australia in 2012 is an elaborate ploy to hide his piss taking of Leicester as to most of us it looks like the actions of someone home sick, not you though.

If anyone took the piss last year it was your management for putting out the team everyone said was rubbishe and so it proved.

I get what you are saying SCB, but why did he say he was homesick, or was that just hearsay, why didn't he just say he needed a change, it did not make much difference, because i don't think he helped Glasgow or Himself by moving, i think he was just having a bad year, and should have gone home, like he said he was going to do, but like you said he was just not up to it, i think if he had been British he would have got bined by Leicester earlier than he left, he stayed there far to long, and did nothing for Glasgow after leaving Leicester to go to them.

Another rider that was just not up to it last year was Justin Sedgeman, he had a very bad time at Newport, and if he was British would have been dropped long before he was, but instead of going home and holding his hand up and saying he had a bad year, he let Mike Bowden sign him, which was a big mistake on both party's, he was average at home and dire away, then in the end he just told Plymouth on a thursday when they had a meeting on a friday that he wasn't going to ride for them, when he should never had signed for Plymouth in the first place, i think it was a stupid move by Sedgeman, and a stupid signing by Mike Bowden, but not the first one by him, and not the last, if you look at this year's team

Edited by Devildodger

I get what you are saying SCB, but why did he say he was homesick, or was that just hearsay, why didn't he just say he needed a change, it did not make much difference, because i don't think he helped Glasgow or Himself by moving, i think he was just having a bad year, and should have gone home, like he said he was going to do, but like you said he was just not up to it, i think if he had been British he would have got bined by Leicester earlier than he left, he stayed there far to long, and did nothing for Glasgow after leaving Leicester to go to them.

Another rider that was just not up to it last year was Justin Sedgeman, he had a very bad time at Newport, and if he was British would have been dropped long before he was, but instead of going home and holding his hand up and saying he had a bad year, he let Mike Bowden sign him, which was a big mistake on both party's, he was average at home and dire away, then in the end he just told Plymouth on a thursday when they had a meeting on a friday that he wasn't going to ride for them, when he should never had signed for Plymouth in the first place, i think it was a stupid move by Sedgeman, and a stupid signing by Mike Bowden, but not the first one by him, and not the last, if you look at this year's team

I think that a lot of riders had a bad year in 2011 and a lot of it was caused by the introduction of the new silencers and their inability to tune the engine to the silencer to maximum performance, this happened in both the elite and the premier leagues and on the grand prix circuit.

With Justin Sedgeman I believe that the root cause was the fact that he rode full time in the elite at the start of the season when he was not up to their standard and I blame Ronnie Russell for keeping him in the Swindon team when he should have realized that his head was dropping and pulled him out.

I feel that Justin made the mistake of trying to “dig himself out of a hole” which never works, in hind sight he should have pulled the plug and gone home but he is a speedway rider and like most riders they have a never say die attitude.

I hope that the break that Justin took has made him better and stronger rider

I understand what you are saying. Both riders rode for Brum in the previous years and Sweetman had a great year, whilst Sedgeman started brilliantly but faded midseason. They both showed promise but unfortunately, things just did not not pick up for them last year. That something that was missing, was thought to be homesickness, which must be frustrating to try to overcome. We could all agree that they should have taken time out and gone home to restart their careers say in 2012, but we are talking speedway riders here. In their minds, they would think that another club will be the 'home' they are looking for to get back to where they were. As they were in the UK, it was natural that they give it a go prior to the plan to go home after the season had finished.

It must have been a very troubled situation for both of them.

In the case of Sweetman he probably had to say the right things as not to get a 28 day ban.

I think that Sedgmen's confidence was shot to pieces by opting to go full time with Swindon in the first place.

To much pressure on him in a very weak Robins team.

If he had started the season in the Premier, his season may of been totaly different.

Hopefully after his good performances in the Aussie Championships (6th) and runner up in the Under 21s, will continue with us this season.

Signing someone on that average mid season will prove more difficult than expected - running the even one or two meetings with a NL rider, and not using R/R could cost Brum big style.

Understandable that he wanted to leave Leicester. He was fantastic at Birmingham the previous year - what did Leicester do to him?

Not so much Leicester, but that awful track!

TBF as has been said - he was rubbish even for Glasgow. Couldn't believe it was the same rider who rode for Birmingham last year, when he came to the OTA last year and scored 0 from 3 rides for Glasgow.

Your right Shadders, i don't think many got to grip's with the Leicester track last year, i know being a Plymouth supporter the first three season's the track at the SBA was terrible for Speedway, it wasn't until Mike Bowden payed to have the track skimmed that the racing got better, now the track mite be small but the speedway is very good, all we need now is a team and somewhere to sit.