British Speedway Forum
stratton

Will Darcy Ward Be A World Champion In The Future?

getting back to original question, no dont think he will.

No , neither do I. There are many brilliant riders that never go on to be World Champion.

Looking at a video of Barry Briggs at the 83 WF, he spoke of what was needed to be a world champion. He said there were 16 riders here today, 12 of which are brilliant world-class riders, all capable of winning 5 races straight off. But when the pressure and importance of the occasion take effect, then probably, that 12 is reduced to 3 or 4.

Being a brilliant rider is one thing but to be a World Champion: You need self belief in your ability and all those around you, You need to cut yourself off and channel everything you have to the cause, You need to totally believe you’re the best, even when going off a unfancied gate. He said there are not many riders who can do that. Then he went on to name those he thought were in that category.

No one doubts Darcy’s a brilliant rider, spectacular and all that, but there seem to be someone inside making, to me questionable decisions. The World Championship should be the pinnacle goal of everybody and when the opportunity is offered to partake it should be grabbed with both hands.

Had Darcy held that opinion he would be competing this year, instead of going down the ‘ maybe next year’ route. I believe Darcy puts too much importance into riding with Chris Holder. I know they’re mates, but he should be competing against him rather then holding his hand. I wonder what affect that had on his decision to miss the SGP and ride for his mate’s team in Poland.

All these things add up. For me he hasn’t got the total mindset to be world-champion yet. I know he’s only 19, with many years ahead of him. Michael Lee had competed in 3 World Finals at that age, but Darcy still hasn’t shown he’s totally committed to the cause yet.

I hope I’m wrong about him, but time will tell…..

No , neither do I. There are many brilliant riders that never go on to be World Champion.

Looking at a video of Barry Briggs at the 83 WF, he spoke of what was needed to be a world champion. He said there were 16 riders here today, 12 of which are brilliant world-class riders, all capable of winning 5 races straight off. But when the pressure and importance of the occasion take effect, then probably, that 12 is reduced to 3 or 4.

Being a brilliant rider is one thing but to be a World Champion: You need self belief in your ability and all those around you, You need to cut yourself off and channel everything you have to the cause, You need to totally believe you’re the best, even when going off a unfancied gate. He said there are not many riders who can do that. Then he went on to name those he thought were in that category.

No one doubts Darcy’s a brilliant rider, spectacular and all that, but there seem to be someone inside making, to me questionable decisions. The World Championship should be the pinnacle goal of everybody and when the opportunity is offered to partake it should be grabbed with both hands.

Had Darcy held that opinion he would be competing this year, instead of going down the ‘ maybe next year’ route. I believe Darcy puts too much importance into riding with Chris Holder. I know they’re mates, but he should be competing against him rather then holding his hand. I wonder what affect that had on his decision to miss the SGP and ride for his mate’s team in Poland.

All these things add up. For me he hasn’t got the total mindset to be world-champion yet. I know he’s only 19, with many years ahead of him. Michael Lee had competed in 3 World Finals at that age, but Darcy still hasn’t shown he’s totally committed to the cause yet.

I hope I’m wrong about him, but time will tell…..

Good post GR theyre is also something that nags away at me i no he is good anough but does he?.This year touch wood all his problems will be out of the way and he can focus on his goal.I believe the series should of made sure he participated this year he is a drawcard but does Darcy worry that much about the W.C?Michael Lee by doing what he did by the age of 19 shows me the series closed shop needs to be changed young riders the future need to be pushed on as soon as possible JANOWSKI is a prime example should be in it full time now not having to wait as he has to.Briggoes points are really good and for me the 3 riders who should of won it were Sigalos Sanders( who at the time of his death was outstanding up there with Nielsen and Gundersen)and recently Leigh Adams who for me was a better rider than Pedersen but as Briggo said you have to have the complete package to be W.C.

Darcy has proved again and again he has what it takes on the big stage. He's a victim of Poland's GP rider rule this season, he needs to race in Poland to be able to race in the GP circus. He hasn't cemented himself as a number 1 in Poland but when he does no doubt he'll give the GPs a good go. He has potentially got 20 years ahead of him, he can afford to do it his way :)

• Like 1

Darcy has proved again and again he has what it takes on the big stage. He's a victim of Poland's GP rider rule this season, he needs to race in Poland to be able to race in the GP circus. He hasn't cemented himself as a number 1 in Poland but when he does no doubt he'll give the GPs a good go. He has potentially got 20 years ahead of him, he can afford to do it his way :)

think ya right but his big head will be his down fall and partying.

• Like 1

I think he will . He's an awesome talent , probably the best we've seen since Jason Crump burst onto the scene . Two or three years from now it will be Ward , Holder and Sayfutinov vying for the title for the forseeable future .

You say he's a victim of the Polish 'one per club' rule, but it was his choice to ride there. He could have continued to ride for the same club as last year had he so wished, and also take part in the SGP. But again, that's his choice.

You say he has 20 yrs ahead to concentrate on the WC, But time waits for no man, He could get badly injured next year and never be the same rider again. (Not wishing that on anybody , but there's always that possibility)

Had he'd accepted the SGP invite this year and showed his obvious talent to the world, he would have assured his place in the series for the foreseeable future, and been able to pick and choose the teams he rode for. instead of which he continues to hold Holder's hand and will rely on a wild card entry for next year.

Some choice......

Edited by GRW123

You say he's a victim of the Polish 'one per club' rule, but it was his choice to ride there. He could have continued to ride for the same club as last year had he so wished, and also take part in the SGP. But again, that's his choice.

You say he has 20 yrs ahead to concentrate on the WC, But time waits for no man, He could get badly injured next year and never be the same rider again. (Not wishing that on anybody , but there's always that possibility)

Had he'd accepted the SGP invite this year and showed his obvious talent to the world, he would have assured his place in the series for the foreseeable future, and been able to pick and choose the teams he rode for. instead of which he continues to hold Holder's hand and will rely on a wild card entry for next year.

Some choice......

Without wishing to repeat the point - there are 2 reasons why Darcy turned down the SGP invite this year, the main one being money!! He needs to build up a decent bank balance (as all other SGP riders do) in order to afford to compete consistently in the series.

Will Darcy be a future World |Champion? Absolutely!!

• Like 1

Without wishing to repeat the point - there are 2 reasons why Darcy turned down the SGP invite this year, the main one being money!! He needs to build up a decent bank balance (as all other SGP riders do) in order to afford to compete consistently in the series.

Will Darcy be a future World |Champion? Absolutely!!

Whatever!!..

I hope your right and that he becomes World Champion, but his mindset needs to alter.....

Still under 21 and already one of the best riders in the world.

I reckon he could well win more than Crumps 3 world titles.

• Like 1

Having witnessed Adams and Crumps careers from the start, I have to say Wards is better than both of them at the same age. While Adams faild to capture a WC, Crump got three.

Crump was always a bit more of an aggressive rider than Adams, and the reason he became a WC. BUT IMO Ward has more skill than Crump and is easily as aggressive, if not more so. Never knows when he is beaten. And still loads of improvement left in the tank.

Of course injury can take its toll, or another rider come along with equal of high potential to take away the chance of a WC, butWard has it all. Already. And then extra on top. Take a look at that heat 12 in Torun last year against Golob and Hancock. Two riders at the top of their game, one who was about to be WC, and Ward had them for breakfast.

Destined to dominate for the next 10 years along with Holder and perhaps Emil. ( PLus whatever other yung riders who has yet to hit the scene)

^^ What those two said! ^^

Edited by Bagpuss

No I think Poole will kill his career as it did to that of promising youngsters Lindback and Kasprzak.

I think he will . He's an awesome talent , probably the best we've seen since Jason Crump burst onto the scene . Two or three years from now it will be Ward , Holder and Sayfutinov vying for the title for the forseeable future .

if it was horse racing i would wager holder by a nose :rofl:

Having witnessed Adams and Crumps careers from the start, I have to say Wards is better than both of them at the same age. While Adams faild to capture a WC, Crump got three.

Crump was always a bit more of an aggressive rider than Adams, and the reason he became a WC. BUT IMO Ward has more skill than Crump and is easily as aggressive, if not more so. Never knows when he is beaten. And still loads of improvement left in the tank.

Of course injury can take its toll, or another rider come along with equal of high potential to take away the chance of a WC, butWard has it all. Already. And then extra on top. Take a look at that heat 12 in Torun last year against Golob and Hancock. Two riders at the top of their game, one who was about to be WC, and Ward had them for breakfast.

Destined to dominate for the next 10 years along with Holder and perhaps Emil. ( PLus whatever other yung riders who has yet to hit the scene)

I dont think consisdently he is better than Crump yet he should go on to at the moment not a better all round rider than Crump.