British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Isle Of Wight 2012

aaron seems a good call

To tell you the truth i have never been a Aaron Baseby fan, but then i have never seen much of him, but Matt when he was a reserve at Plymouth did a great job, but Matt or Aaron would be a good call to have at reserve.

Personally I'd like to see either Matt or Aaron given a spot, but I don't think it will be either, just my opinion though.

Personally I'd like to see either Matt or Aaron given a spot, but I don't think it will be either, just my opinion though.

As expected then. Gary Cottham completes the final 7. Press & practice starts at 1:30 at Smallbrook stadium on Saturday week with our first meeting away to Stoke exactly a week later

Well no great shock in Gary resigning, would have maybe gone in a different direction given the amount of points we had left, but I guess they weren't expecting Rob to be unfit to ride and if they had agreed a deal with Gary and Rye, then I respect them for not going back on that.

Now only time will tell how this team will go, it has potential to be good, but as last season showed it can go the other way!!.

Here's hoping for a safe and successful season.

• Like 1

Good luck to the ex Rye House.boys Mark and Ben have a great season and stay safe....

Good luck to the ex Rye House.boys Mark and Ben have a great season and stay safe....

*ahem* Starkey is ex-Rye too. While we're at it good luck to Chessell at Hoddesden, could have been at no. 6 for us...

*ahem* Starkey is ex-Rye too. While we're at it good luck to Chessell at Hoddesden, could have been at no. 6 for us...

Sorry,,i guess Cottam and Smithy were as well some time ago ,,I was refering to the boys in last seasons Hackney team.....

So with the news that Nick has suffered a broken wrist, what options are there for the Islanders, do they go and sign a temp number one or go r/r?, I'm not sure they can use a guest as Nick hasn't ridden this season, I maybe wrong though.

Going back through this tread, I'd maybe give Simon Walker a call, guess it depends on if he's ready to go racing a week tomorrow and if we can afford him??.

Thoughts??

Without us turning a wheel yet this season we've suffered a second injury :( Nick is out for apparently 6 weeks with a broken wrist, get better soon mate! Whether anyone from the club reads this page or not, most on here seem to agree that Baseby or Bates would outscore Cottham, but if Gary can stay in front then he could be a trump card for us (the jury is certainly still out). However I think one thing is for certain, for a team that averages say has 3 third heat leaders I don't think we could cope without a guy at #1, that truly is a #1. If the club has the money people like Kyle Newman, Joe Haines, Kyle Hughes & Jay Herne are available otherwise I'd say 6 weeks with guests is the upper-most time limit (bearing in mind that includes challenges).

Edit: slimonce- Simon Walker is an interesting one. As to not being able to use a guest for a rider whose yet to ride, I honestly don't know. I was just going by the press release.

Edited by Islander15

think baseby would outscore gary but not sure on bates.

rr is ok for your 2nd or 3rd rider, but not your no 1. need a replacement ideally

but guests at least.

Joe Haines would fit I think?, good call on that one, Don't think jay herne has travelled over this season and Kyle Hughes has signed at Leicester, who are racing good friday when the Islanders are at Rye House, so I would guess that rules him out. Looks to me like the management are alittle short of options.

I see Nick is out now can i recommend Grant Mcdonald he is really keen to ride and can do a very good job.

Would Lee Smart fit ?, Todd Kurtz did well there last year got 14 from 5 rides, would he fit ?

Edited by Devildodger

I agree slimonce, there aren't a lot of options. Lee though is a good call, I assume his 2010 NL average would be used. Todd though is just too high, a shame because imo only him & Cameroon Heeps consistently matched Nick at smallbrook last year.

Anyone go to the press & practice today? Any thoughts?

Edited by Islander15