British Speedway Forum
stratton

Peter Craven Is He The Top Brit Ever?

I know it is a done to death debate, but having spoke to different people so many peoples opinions are different.Who would your top 5 brits of all time be.?I didnt include Freddie and Farndon as i didnt see them and only know about from opinions and research. here goes mine are 1./Craven ( I didnt see but I have heard alot of peoples opinions i respect ,one being my uncle who see him numerous times. 2./Lee 3./ Collins 4./Simmons 5./R.Wilson.

For me, I would have to include - in no particular order - Lee, Farndon, Collins, and Craven. The fifth spot? Either Jack Parker or Nigel Boocock,.

Steve

Edited by chunky

i) Peter Craven

ii) Peter Collins

iii) Michael Lee

iv) Malcolm Simmons

v) Chris Morton

They would be my 'Top Five' of the post Fifties Riders. Missed a number of VERY good Riders out too. Dave Jessup, Ray Wilson, Eric and Nigel Boocock, Kenny Carter, Gordon Kennett. The List used to be endless................................it's not now. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Edited by The White Knight

The ones I've seen in no order would probably include Craven, Collins, Lee, and any two from Simmons, Jessup, Morton, the Boococks, Ashby, Wilson, Loram, Carter.

Edited by keef

Top five Brits I've seen:

1. Peter Craven

2. Peter Collins

3. Michael Lee

4. Nigel Boocock

5. Mark Loram

Top five Brits I've not seen:

1. Tom Farndon

2. Jack Parker

3. Eric Langton

4. Freddie Williams

5. Tommy Price

I think it is impossible to clarify an overall rating list for more than 80 years of speedway. Conditions have much changed since 1928, into the 30s and so progressed over the decades.

The obvious thing is to classify for each 10 year decade, then attempt to gauge from that the riders who appear in most of them.

How can you rate Tommy Frandon, a legtrailer and racing on deep cinder surfaced against a rider like Peter Craven more than 20 forward using more modern bikes, techniques of racing and riding slick shale-based tracks?

I think it is impossible to clarify an overall rating list for more than 80 years of speedway. Conditions have much changed since 1928, into the 30s and so progressed over the decades.

The obvious thing is to classify for each 10 year decade, then attempt to gauge from that the riders who appear in most of them.

How can you rate Tommy Frandon, a legtrailer and racing on deep cinder surfaced against a rider like Peter Craven more than 20 forward using more modern bikes, techniques of racing and riding slick shale-based tracks?

Did you speedyguy ever reply about Mike Bast? i think Chunky is right you can compare but not put the elite in any particular order.

Top five Brits I've seen:

1. Peter Craven

2. Peter Collins

3. Michael Lee

4. Nigel Boocock

5. Mark Loram

Top five Brits I've not seen:

1. Tom Farndon

2. Jack Parker

3. Eric Langton

4. Freddie Williams

5. Tommy Price

Nice lists; apart from Tom Farndon, I've seen them all.

Nice lists; apart from Tom Farndon, I've seen them all.

I wish I had seen those in the second list. Freddie Williams especially.

I wish I had seen those in the second list. Freddie Williams especially.

Same as you White Knight, have been lucky Farndon, Parker, Craven, Williams all legends i didnt see ride. Other riders i wished i had seen but didnt were Nordin, Knutsson,Plechanov.But have seen most of the rest we were blessed with some great English riders over the years. It puzzles me up to 1973, why great britain with Briggo, Mirac,and Ivan riding why Britain didnt win everything? i know Sweden were a huge force.

My top five would be:

1. Michael Lee

2. Peter Collins

3. Kenny Carter

4. Malc Simmons

5. Dave Jessup

All of which were at the top when the competition of British talent was at its peak.

I would like to add a second list of British riders who I believe, deserves mentioning when talking of class riders. Riders who gave there all for their club and made us proud to be called British:

1. Nigel Boocock – Coventry

2. Terry Betts - Kings Lynn

3. Martin Ashby - Swindon

4. Dougie Wyer - Sheffield

5. Ray Wilson - Leicester

Edited by GRW123

My top five would be:

1. Michael Lee

2. Peter Collins

3. Kenny Carter

4. Malc Simmons

5. Dave Jessup

All of which were at the top when the competition of British talent was at its peak.

I would like to add a second list of British riders who I believe, deserves mentioning when talking of class riders. Riders who gave there all for their club and made us proud to be called British:

1. Nigel Boocock – Coventry

2. Terry Betts - Kings Lynn

3. Martin Ashby - Swindon

4. Dougie Wyer - Sheffield

5. Ray Wilson - Leicester

Add Louis E Boocock Pratt Kennett Kilby Younghusband Haley Reg Wilson some strength in depth British talent.

It puzzles me up to 1973, why great britain with Briggo, Mirac,and Ivan riding why Britain didnt win everything? i know Sweden were a huge force.

I think it boils down simply to home track advantage. While this still obviously applies to a degree, in those days, riders weren't riding in different countries on a regular basis. The Poles couldn't master British tracks, and vice versa. Sweden, I feel, relied more on team strength than home advantage, but it was still noticeable.

Steve

Add Louis E Boocock Pratt Kennett Kilby Younghusband Haley Reg Wilson some strength in depth British talent.

Louis, Boocock, and Kennett definitely. While the others mentioned were very capable, I would put a number of other British riders above them, including Tatum, McMillan, How, Hedge, McKinlay, Davis, Crutcher, and Norman Hunter.

Steve

I think it boils down simply to home track advantage. While this still obviously applies to a degree, in those days, riders weren't riding in different countries on a regular basis. The Poles couldn't master British tracks, and vice versa. Sweden, I feel, relied more on team strength than home advantage, but it was still noticeable.

Steve

Louis, Boocock, and Kennett definitely. While the others mentioned were very capable, I would put a number of other British riders above them, including Tatum, McMillan, How, Hedge, McKinlay, Davis, Crutcher, and Norman Hunter.

Steve

.Crutcher of course didnt mention him because i didnt see him had a superb record.Wouldnt disagree with your other choices chunky we forgot WIGGY god bless him.

we forgot WIGGY god bless him.

Good call! Let's not forget Donkey either. Others worth a mention include Mike Broadbank, Brian Brett, Les Collins, Dick Fisher, and of course, Split Waterman.

This is what scares me; look at all the names we can rattle off with ease, yet how many modern era (post-1990) merit inclusion?

Steve