British Speedway Forum
SCOTLAND1314

Moto Gp, 2 And 3

What a mess stewards decision in Portugal has caused. They proclaimed MM would serve his 2 long lap penalties at the next round, May have even referred to Argentina. But MM is out of Argentina injured and Honda are saying his penalty is now nullified. Seems like you need a lawyer at trackside so you don’t happen to say words that are not correct even if the meaning behind them is.  
Looks like MotoGP is following F1 into the realms of stupidity instead of common sense. It was the stupid decision in the last F1 race of 2021 that led me to lose my total interest in F1. I hope MotoGP does not go the same way.

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 2

On 3/30/2023 at 9:57 PM, OveFundinFan said:

The 2 lap penalty is it/is it not now goes to FIM Court of Appeal.  Shocking.

I think the most telling evidence of how seriously dangerous his riding was, came when after the race the three podium finishers were waiting in the ante-room before the presentations and were watching the brief highlights on the screen. All three of them expressed shock and abject horror at Marquez's riding.

If he get's away with it on appeal the situation will in my mind impact negatively on the credibility of the stewards and the whole Motogp product. 

Sad to say but he is a fading star, and his dangerous aggressive riding has no place in the sport.

Qualifying for Argentina and the sprint race should be interesting today.

• Like 3

I would well understand if MotoGP riders protest about the Saturday sprint race. For sure any rider on form with a fast bike can gain extra points BUT there are a lot of negatives. Risk of injury, potentially ruling them out of Sundays race is a big concern. But also, machine set up time has been reduced and time of qualifying brought forward. Get things wrong on a MotoGP bike means a high risk of rider damage. Also, the MotoGP season is longer than ever before, towards end of season the riders will be mentally drained, causing another potential danger area.              Much different to F1 where there is better protection for a driver…..starting with 4 wheels. However, in World Superbikes they have 3 races (ok, 2.5) each weekend and seem to manage. Perhaps DORNA should have introduced the short race at just a few races…..like they did in F1. Or never at all.

• Like 1

I think it's too early to tell with the sprint race and new qualifying. But so far I'm fully in favour of it. Many people may think that well they get paid enough, why not earn it.

I think it adds another decisive dimension to the weekend.

Lets see what happens today  

• Like 1

IT seems F1 drivers are not happy that they will have a sprint race at Baku this year. Apparently they saying Baku track is too fast and a crash there can cause a write off or at least a lot of damage to a car.               
Referring to the post above this. The big money salaries have, I understand, disappeared from MotoGP due to cutbacks. Prior to Peccos championship win last year I think only MM and Quartararo were on multi million salary. And I understand they have had to fight to get extra payment for an extra 23 races this year, so to suggest they get paid a lot and should just get on with another 23 races would meet a frosty reception from the riders.          
Actually, it sounds logical that the competitive racing element could suffer with more races. Survival possibly coming more to the fore.

Another brilliant sprint race, they have revitalised Moto GP after the loss of Rossi and the injuries to Marquez.

Great to see the KTM and Yamaha at the front of a race.

Edited by Tim G
  • Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 3:47 PM, OveFundinFan said:

What a mess stewards decision in Portugal has caused. They proclaimed MM would serve his 2 long lap penalties at the next round, May have even referred to Argentina. But MM is out of Argentina injured and Honda are saying his penalty is now nullified. Seems like you need a lawyer at trackside so you don’t happen to say words that are not correct even if the meaning behind them is.  
Looks like MotoGP is following F1 into the realms of stupidity instead of common sense. It was the stupid decision in the last F1 race of 2021 that led me to lose my total interest in F1. I hope MotoGP does not go the same way.

Yet you still retain a  strong interest in speedway, where rules are interpreted in any way that suits the occasion & have been for as long as I can recall. Michael Masi was investigated for his decisions in that race & he was removed from the job, I'm not sure what more you expect from the FIA..

1 minute ago, Dave Jones said:

Yet you still retain a  strong interest in speedway, where rules are interpreted in any way that suits the occasion & have been for as long as I can recall. Michael Masi was investigated for his decisions in that race & he was removed from the job, I'm not sure what more you expect from the FIA..

I am interested in most things having an engine that races. Watched F1 for many years, but over time interest has waned, too much money spent to get the last thousands of a second, yet many teams dont have the money to try to find that and are left behind, so it becomes only a few teams can actual win a world championship. The silly situation last race 2021 was the final nail in the coffin for me.  These days I not particularly interested in British speedway, yes I may watch it if its on TV for free, I still find the racing can be exciting. However, my main interest in speedway now is the Gran Prix.  When the show is on a good race track the show can be amazing to watch, IMO.  Nothing in F1 can match that, never did for me.  

16 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

I am interested in most things having an engine that races. Watched F1 for many years, but over time interest has waned, too much money spent to get the last thousands of a second, yet many teams dont have the money to try to find that and are left behind, so it becomes only a few teams can actual win a world championship. The silly situation last race 2021 was the final nail in the coffin for me.  These days I not particularly interested in British speedway, yes I may watch it if its on TV for free, I still find the racing can be exciting. However, my main interest in speedway now is the Gran Prix.  When the show is on a good race track the show can be amazing to watch, IMO.  Nothing in F1 can match that, never did for me.  

My thoughts exactly. Speedway is still the most basic of motor sports and irrespective of what one might think of the rules, it still retains some of its quality of rawness which many aspects of motorcycling list a long time ago. 

59 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Speedway is still "my sport" too ,I've supported it for over 60 Years, I accept it for what is is, but i am still extremely interested in F1 & it would seem that with a 3 day attendance of some 450,000 at Melbourne many others are too . What i do feel odd is that a decision by one man in one race "led you lose total interest in F1" whilst still following speedway with all of its issues.

56 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Speedway is still "my sport" too ,I've supported it for over 60 Years, I accept it for what is is, but i am still extremely interested in F1 & it would seem that with a 3 day attendance of some 450,000 at Melbourne many others are too . What i do feel odd is that a decision by one man in one race "led you lose total interest in F1" whilst still following speedway with all of its issues.

I did say I watched F1 for many years, and I mean many years, but over time interest has waned and the last race 2021 was the final nail in the coffin.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2023 at 3:32 PM, Dave Jones said:

A few people I know that watched F1 all the time lost a lot of interest in the sport due to that race and the way the sport was going but these are blokes that are over 55 years old and no longer the target audience for the sport.

The crowds are big now because the great job that Liberty Media have done with making the sport cool. The Netflix series has been brilliant for the sport and made young people interested in F1.

You only have to look at the influences that want to be seen at F1 and getting these people involved is always going to be a major positive.