British Speedway Forum

Best Czech GP in years. Was that the 4 oldest riders in the final?

I wrote Nicki and Crump off as top men this season, what do I know?! Standings make great reading now, nobody is stepping up, hope we get a 4-6 man race all season.

Nope, if Pearson can repeat the same old tripe at girlie screaming level every other race, I can complain about him ruining my speedway coverage. It's funny though, as I pointed out above fans of other sports seem to think he ruins their coverage of darts too, and the fact is you cant defend his commentary so you two keep coming out with the same old rubbish at my postings.

Pearson ruins what is something a great product.

Do as others have pointed out to you, and that is to watch it in silence.

Then the two of us and the rest on here wouldn't have to read your usual rubbish.

Excellent showing from Pepe,bit of a mundane GP and a bit gate and go.

Sadly another shocker for Harris,its to be hoped he can make it through to next year through the GP Challenge route,as he cant surely get another wildcard pick and theres little evidence to support a top eight finish.

I really am sorry to say this - but - I believe that Chris Harris should be dropped from the SGP at the end of the Season. He is a GREAT Rider to watch in League Racing, the trouble is that his performances in the SGP are becoming embarassing.

Personally I am tired of WILLING Chris to pass other Riders - it rarely happens. T don't know wheter the problem is Chris, his Bikes or his Team but sadly he is not competative at present.

If Chris is the best we have - and I believe he is - then I can see next year there being no British Representative in the SGP. Perhaps they may give him another chance because he is British. That would not be right as it would be keeping someone out of the SGP who is capable of doing better.

SELECTION BECAUSE OF NATIONALITY IS JUST PLAIN WRONG.

I really am sorry to say this - but - I believe that Chris Harris should be dropped from the SGP at the end of the Season. He is a GREAT Rider to watch in League Racing, the trouble is that his performances in the SGP are becoming embarassing.

I didnt think that Harris shouldve got a wildcard pick for this season,maybe the GP organisers didnt want to run a GP series without a GB rider,but the fact remains I dont think Harris deserves his GP spot.I think that the fact that a couple of riders withdrew from GPs also helped Harris`s case.

• Like 1

What are peoples thoughts on staging a GP there next year IMO it should be there best one for years

Ah, there it is. Every time we get speedway on Sky it's the same sad, obsessive shouting, spouting of irrelevant information by someone with scant knowledge of the sport. There is a solution though....

... put Marmite on ignore...

Edited by Angus Kix Lives

Ah, there it is. Every time we get speedway on Sky it's the same sad, obsessive shouting, spouting of irrelevant information by someone with scant knowledge of the sport. There is a solution though....

... put Marmite on ignore...

Your right,think back to a time when speedway wouldve killed for the kind of coverage we have today.Be grateful for what we have,speedway needs Sky much more than Sky needs speedway,lets just get on with it and enjoy.

• Like 3

Your right,think back to a time when speedway wouldve killed for the kind of coverage we have today.Be grateful for what we have,speedway needs Sky much more than Sky needs speedway,lets just get on with it and enjoy.

From the "old fart" of the board.

My first meeting was in 1948 at the age of 4. We got our first television- a 9" Murphy in 1952. The World Final was on a Thursday night from Wembley. They showed heats 13-20 with commentary by Alan Weekes. And the next meeting on TV was.......... next September, same time, same place!

What we get now, from England, Poland, Sweden, Denmark is just bloody fantastic. Those who don't like Nigel Pearson's style should just turn the sound down a little and think what it would be like, as it was for us then, with NO SPEEDWAY on TV.

Regards. Alan.

From the "old fart" of the board.

My first meeting was in 1948 at the age of 4. We got our first television- a 9" Murphy in 1952. The World Final was on a Thursday night from Wembley. They showed heats 13-20 with commentary by Alan Weekes. And the next meeting on TV was.......... next September, same time, same place!

What we get now, from England, Poland, Sweden, Denmark is just bloody fantastic. Those who don't like Nigel Pearson's style should just turn the sound down a little and think what it would be like, as it was for us then, with NO SPEEDWAY on TV.

Regards. Alan.

But surely it's about opinion? Marmite along with myself and many others have the opinion that Pearson is a poor and fairly unprofessional speedway commentator. I can't comment on his work in other sports as I've not heard enough of it.

His constant mistakes and "woooaaahhhhh" are terrible. However I think he is a half decent presenter and if we could get a half decent commentator then SKY's already excellent production woul improve tenfold.

I pay around a hundred quid a month to SKY for their various services I believe therefore I am entitled to an opinion on one of it's products.

I pay around a hundred quid a month to SKY for their various services I believe therefore I am entitled to an opinion on one of it's products. "

Of course you are, and no one has suggested otherwise. I responded to "Screm's" post in which he made the point that speedway needs Sky, more than Sky needs speedway. If you don't like Nigel Pearson's commentary, you can communicate your view to Sky directly. Alternatively you can, as i suggested, turn the sound down so that it doesn't grate on you so much. Finally, of course, if you are that disgruntled you could cancel your subscription. I,resident in the speedway wasteland of the USA, get no television coverage whatsoever. I watch, thanks to the internet, speedway in a variety of languages. Polish, Swedish, Danish being the main ones. I've watched streams in Norweigan, Ukranian, you name it. I take what i can get and am eternally grateful. When the tapes go up, the commentary is utterly secondary to the thrill of watching four guys racing.

Whether we like it or not, our wonderful sport is a minority interest item, both to the public at large and to the television companies.

We really should be grateful. I am!

Regards. Alan.

I pay around a hundred quid a month to SKY for their various services I believe therefore I am entitled to an opinion on one of it's products.

The irony of someone who pays for the SKY package being told they should be thankful for what they get by someone who watches it for nowt via illegal streams :rofl::blink::P Gotta link? pm'd ya......

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2

Finally, of course, if you are that disgruntled you could cancel your subscription. I,resident in the speedway wasteland of the USA, get no television coverage whatsoever. I watch, thanks to the internet, speedway in a variety of languages. Polish, Swedish, Danish being the main ones. I've watched streams in Norweigan, Ukranian, you name it. I take what i can get and am eternally grateful. When the tapes go up, the commentary is utterly secondary to the thrill of watching four guys racing.

Whether we like it or not, our wonderful sport is a minority interest item, both to the public at large and to the television companies.

We really should be grateful. I am!

Regards. Alan.

Have I read this correct. Is someone who steals a service telling a legitimate buyer he should be grateful for the service received

If I was stealing my weekly shopping from Sainsbury's I would accept the odd out of date item in there, but as I pay for it, like 99% of the population, rest assured I voice my disattisfaction when something is amiss

• Like 1

Time to defend myself- and others. I have no way of subscribing to any television service whatsoever, that gives me any speedway coverage. I pay for Fox (i.e Sky) coverage here in the USA. Football and Rugby only. They carry Sky Sports news twice a day. That's it. We can obtain no package for Polish TV or any other speedway nation. The numbers on the internet streams show the number of viewers. Very rarely does it get above 200 viewers. Which tells the companies that there is no money in it whatsoever. A willing buyer, but no seller. So for those of us in far off lands the streams are a godsend.

The first poster has taken an extreme dislike to me and talks about irony. The true irony,of course, is that HE watches these "illegal" streams that he berates me for so doing. ANYONE who watches Polish speedway on Sunday is committing a "crime". Go through the threads and see the posters names. Every one of us a "criminal" Haul us all off to jail and you won't have a forum!. To equate that with stealing from your local supermarket is a real stretch. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" comes readily to mind. If there was any real demand for the product, someone would fill it. Sadly for speedway, there really isn't.

I responded to a post , that itself responded to a post from someone who has an extreme dislike of Nigel Pearson. I say again to that individual. If you so dislike him, let Sky know and set out your reasons. I would simply caution though. Be careful what you wish for, you might get it. And the "it" might be no Nigel Pearson and no speedway coverage at all. Cricket, Football, Formula 1, Rugby. There is a huge worldwide market for them. Sadly, for Speedway, no one really cares.

Regards. Alan

Time to defend myself- and others. I have no way of subscribing to any television service whatsoever, that gives me any speedway coverage. I pay for Fox (i.e Sky) coverage here in the USA. Football and Rugby only. They carry Sky Sports news twice a day. That's it. We can obtain no package for Polish TV or any other speedway nation. The numbers on the internet streams show the number of viewers. Very rarely does it get above 200 viewers. Which tells the companies that there is no money in it whatsoever. A willing buyer, but no seller. So for those of us in far off lands the streams are a godsend.

The first poster has taken an extreme dislike to me and talks about irony. The true irony,of course, is that HE watches these "illegal" streams that he berates me for so doing. ANYONE who watches Polish speedway on Sunday is committing a "crime". Go through the threads and see the posters names. Every one of us a "criminal" Haul us all off to jail and you won't have a forum!. To equate that with stealing from your local supermarket is a real stretch. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" comes readily to mind. If there was any real demand for the product, someone would fill it. Sadly for speedway, there really isn't.

I responded to a post , that itself responded to a post from someone who has an extreme dislike of Nigel Pearson. I say again to that individual. If you so dislike him, let Sky know and set out your reasons. I would simply caution though. Be careful what you wish for, you might get it. And the "it" might be no Nigel Pearson and no speedway coverage at all. Cricket, Football, Formula 1, Rugby. There is a huge worldwide market for them. Sadly, for Speedway, no one really cares.

Regards. Alan

I have no issues with Nigel Pearson, I quite like him nowadays, nor do I have any gripe with the Sky coverage. I am also under no illusions as to how insignificant speedway is to Sky, it is purely something to show between the ads and its format lends itself to multiple ad breaks. As long as viewing figures are reasonable speedway will stay on Sky, when they drop, speedway will be off our screens like a shot. What I thought strange was you coming on here stating that you, in essence, steal the service (for whatever reason).

While your case may be different the internet streams are partly responsible for lower viewing figures year on year for Elite League and this ultimately threatens the sport staying on Sky. Stealing is stealing, however you dress it up

I have no issues with Nigel Pearson, I quite like him nowadays, nor do I have any gripe with the Sky coverage. I am also under no illusions as to how insignificant speedway is to Sky, it is purely something to show between the ads and its format lends itself to multiple ad breaks. As long as viewing figures are reasonable speedway will stay on Sky, when they drop, speedway will be off our screens like a shot. What I thought strange was you coming on here stating that you, in essence, steal the service (for whatever reason).

While your case may be different the internet streams are partly responsible for lower viewing figures year on year for Elite League and this ultimately threatens the sport staying on Sky. Stealing is stealing, however you dress it up

I respect your reasoned response. My conscience regarding "stealing" a Polish tv signal is clear. You may feel differently and that is your right. We can civilly agree to disagree. As for Sky viewing figures being affected, if the numbers reflected on the internet streams are correct, and i have no doubt they are, then we are looking at around 300 viewers WORLDWIDE most of the time. How many of those are potential lost subscibers to Sky in the UK. i have no idea. It is a sad reflection of the lack of interest in Elite League speedway. Because of the time difference of 5 hours i am often at work (still at 68!) on a Monday afternoon. Whilst Poland on Sundays is a must see , i do not feel i am missing much if i don't catch the Elite league. But that is a whole other topic.

Nigel Pearson is employed by Sky. They pay him and if he was not delivering what they require then he would be out the door fast. Sky are trying to sell the sport. TV is a circle where companies deliver programmes to viewers and companies deliver those viewers to advertisers.

The internet has completely changed the way programmes are delivered. My 17 year old son never watches tv. But his iPAD is always on. The TV companies here have responded by making their programming available , sometimes simultaneously and usually 24 hours later on the net for free. They make money by selling ads on their streaming services. Some with a small subscription fee, mostly free. There is no "one model fits all" solution.

We shall see how it all evolves. This afternoon i will watch the Danish Individual Final here

http://kanalsport.dk/

A company that has decided the way forward is to stream it -legally and for free. No "stealing" involved. Tomorrow i will watch my favourite little Swedish team Smederna for which i will pay a fee for the stream. Sunday i will watch Polish speedway "illegally".

My choice, my conscience. Your choice. Your conscience.

Regards. Alan.