British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Islander15

British Junior Champs (scunthorpe) 29/7 @ 3pm

The British Junior Championships recommence this Sunday. Any idea of the admission and if the Islanders' new signing Adam Ellis is riding? And while I'm here, has anyone got any info on him? I saw he won the last event at Eastbourne but hasn't ridden in any other round.

Full line up for the event with 36 heats and 3 finals!

500cc British Championship

Adam Ellis

Tyler Govier

Danno Verge

Nathan Cheetham

Jack Jones

Josh Bailey

Danny Phillips

Joe Graver

Nathan Greaves

Ben Harrison

250cc British Championship

Reece Downes

Zach Wajktknect

Daniel Miles

Lewis Whitmore

Connor Mountain

Mitchell Beckett

Nathan Greaves

Kelsey Dugard

125cc Support Races

Keiran Douglass

Lewis Whitmore

Daniel Gilkes

Jamie Halder

Luke Whitehead

Kyle Bickley

Jack Collins

Joe Thompson

Kean Dicken

Harry Jones

Macauley Leek

Ben Woodhull

Dan Thompson

Jack P Blackburn

Tom Brennan

Luke Woodhull

Edited by wizzer

The British Junior Championships recommence this Sunday. Any idea of the admission and if the Islanders' new signing Adam Ellis is riding? And while I'm here, has anyone got any info on him? I saw he won the last event at Eastbourne but hasn't ridden in any other round.

£5 for all adults, and free for children 16 and under.

All the best

Rob

Yes Adam is riding on Sunday - fresh from riding for the Islanders (as you say), for the Young Hammers in the AJL and second halfing at Somerset..

I know it's early, but an early departure from home is required.

Any news on the weather in Scunny please, as the forecast doesn't seem good?

Thanks

Good show from the young'uns today...who said theres no young brits coming through? Well done to all the competitors, some fantastic racing, definately some stars of the future on show today.

Slick meeting too, 37 races in about two and a half hours... and less than a handful of fallers. Just a shame a few more fans didnt turn up to see it.

From www.scunthorpescorpions.co

Thirty riders, aged between nine and sixteen, competed over 37 races in little more than two hours at Scunthorpe’s Eddie Wright Raceway on Sunday afternoon (3pm). It was the penultimate round of the British Youth Championship and just showed everyone present that there really are some quality young riders to come through the system in the next few years. One rider who is already to mix it in the professional ranks is 16-year old Adam Ellis who produced a impressive display to win the 500cc class. He led home Nathan Greaves, Tyler Govier and Scunthorpe Saints’ Danny Phillips in the final whilst Kelsey Dugard won the 250cc class and Kyle Bickley won the 125cc support class.

Ellis, who is based in France, just had one blip when spinning out whilst leading his third ride but led the final from start to finish. Phillips held second place early on in the final but Manchester’s Nathan Greaves worked his way past at the end of the first lap and then the Teessider made a mistake trying to re-pass Greaves only to lose third place to Exeter’s Tyler Govier.

Greaves was also competing in the 250cc class and after winning three of the previous rounds could have been crowned British Champion but a bike problem took away his chance of making the final. Scunthorpe rider Reece Downes qualified for the final in second place but touched the tapes and had to go from the 15-metre handicap mark. He was able to overhaul Lewis Whitmore for third place but it was Kelsey Dugard and Zach Wajktnecht who claimed the top two steps on the podium.

The 125cc class might not have been for a British Championship but the class was no less competitive with fifteen riders taking part. Regulars of Scunthorpe amateur meetings claimed the three podium places with Workington’s Kyle Bickley heading home Ossett’s Jack Parkinson-Blackburn and Leicester’s Ben Woodhull. However, a first-timer at the Eddie Wright Raceway, Daniel Gilkes, was unlucky after claiming second place in qualifying but falling whilst in second place in the final.

After the meeting Scunthorpe Scorpions’ Team Manager Richard Hollingsworth declared the event an over-whelming success. “It was such a great weekend. We had thirty-three riders come and practice on Saturday and then to run thirty-seven races in just over two hours today was fantastic.

“It went almost like clockwork and to see some of the riders on display just show that this country are catching up other countries with our youth development.

“Neil Vatcher and Phil Morris are doing a great job with the youngsters and everyone knows we do all we can at Scunthorpe with our training track, practices, training schools and amateur meetings.

“It is a shame we have been missing from the youth championship for two or three years but hopefully the success of this weekend will see it become a permanent fixture and cement our place as a centre, if not the centre, for youth development in Britain.

“Hopefully next year we can also avoid fixture clashes with our own Summer Championship and provide even more competitive racing for these kids. Track time is so important for them but I must admit I get a little fed up of hearing about the lack of track time being the biggest problem for youth development.

“I’m not saying it isn’t a problem for some because it depends on where people live but I don’t think there is anyone who lives within an hour or two of Scunthorpe who has that problem. If there is they need to give me a call and we can see what we can do to help them.

“On that note if anyone, be they youth riders or adults of any standards, want to ride in next Sunday’s amateur meeting then just give me a call on 07832-402167. You will be made very welcome!”

British Youth Championship Round 5 results (unofficial):

500cc Class

Qualifying scores: Nathan Greaves 11, Danny Phillips 11, Adam Ellis 9, Tyler Govier 8, Josh Bailey 7, Danno Verge 5, Joe Graver 4, Jack Jones 4, Ben Harrison 0.

1: Greaves, Bailey, Govier, 62.0

2: Ellis, Phillips, Graver, Verge, 60.8

3: Greaves, Graver, Jones, Harrison, 63.0

4: Phillips, Verge, Bailey, 62.6

5: Ellis, Bailey, Jones, 60.7

6: Phillips, Govier, Jones, Harrison, 61.9

7: Govier, Bailey, Verge, Ellis (fell), 64.3

8: Phillips, Verge, Graver, Harrison, 61.8

9: Ellis, Greaves, Graver (ret), 60.7

10: Greaves, Verge, Jones, Harrison, 62.6

Final: Ellis, Greaves, Govier, Phillips, 62.0

Championship points: Adam Ellis 18, Nathan Greaves 16, Tyler Govier 14, Danny Phillips 12, Josh Bailey 11, Danno Verge 10, Joe Graver 9, Jack Jones 8, Ben Harrison 7.

Championship standings (unofficial): Nathan Greaves 66 (6-10-18-16-16), Danny Phillips 63 (14-9-16-12-12), Josh Bailey 61 (10-12-14-14-11), Danno Verge 56.5 (12-14-10.5-10-10), Tyler Govier 52 (11-8-8-11-14), Josh Bates 46 (18-16-12), Nathan Stoneman 44.5 (16-18-10.5), Adam Ellis 36 (18-18), Jack Jones 23 (8-7-8), Joe Graver 20 (11-9), Ben Harrison 16 (9-7), Nathan Cheetham 16 (7-9), Ollie Weldrick 12 (5-7), Max Clegg 9,

250cc Class

Qualifying scores: Zach Wajktknecht 11, Reece Downes 10, Kelsey Dugard 8, Lewis Whitmore 7, Nathan Greaves 6, Connor Mountain 3, Mitchell Beckett 2, Daniel Miles 1.

1: Downes, Wajktknecht, Whitmore, Dugard, 63.8

2: Wajktknecht, Greaves, Mountain, Miles, 63.5

3: Downes, Whitmore, Miles, Beckett, 63.0

4: Wajktknecht, Whitmore, Greaves, Mountain, 63.7

5: Dugard, Whitmore, Mountain, Beckett, 62.8

6: Greaves, Downes, Beckett, Miles, 64.1

7: Wajktknecht, Dugard, Mountain, 62.1

8: Dugard, Downes, Beckett, Miles, 61.6

Final: Dugard, Wajktknecht, Downes, Whitmore, 61.8

Championship Points:

Kelsey Dugard 18, Zach Wajktknecht 16, Reece Downes 14, Lewis Whitmore 12, Nathan Greaves 11, Connor Mountain 10, Mitchell Beckett 9, Daniel Miles 8.

Championship Standings (unofficial): Nathan Greaves 75 (11-18-18-17-11), Zach Wajktknecht 72.5 (18-16-12-10.5-16), Kelsey Dugard 65.5 (6.5-14-10-17-18), Reece Downes 65 (16-10-11-14-14), Lewis Whitmore 56.5 (14-11-9-10.5-12), Connor Mountain 54.5 (12-12-14-6.5-10), Mitchell Beckett 43 (8-9-8-9-9) Daniel Miles 33 (10-7-8-8), Jordan Hazelden 26.5 (6.5-8-12), Bradley Andrews 16, P.Crook 15.5 (9-5.5).

125cc Class (non-championship)

Qualifying scores: Kyle Bickley 12, Daniel Gilkes 10, Ben Woodhull 9, Jack Parkinson-Blackburn 9, Kean Dicken 9, Tom Brennan 8, Luke Woodhull 7, Lewis Whitmore 7, Jack Collins 5, Kieran Douglas 5, Macauley Leek 5, Jamie Halder 3, Harry Jones 1, Joe Thompson 0, Dan Thompson 0.

1: Gilkes, Whitmore, Douglas, Halder (retired), 72.6

2: Bickley, Collins, J.Thompson (fell, excluded), 69.1

3: B.Woodhull, Dicken, Leek, Jones, 69.8

4: Parkinson-Blackburn, Brennan, L.Woodhull (retired), D.Thompson (fell, excluded), 70.9

5: Dicken, Douglas, 72.9

6: Bickley, Parkinson-Blackburn, Whitmore, Jones, 66.7

7: Brennan, Gilkes, Leek, Collins, 71.2

8: B.Woodhull, L.Woodhull, Halder, 69.4

9: Bickley, L.Woodhull, Leek, Douglas, 66.0

10: B.Woodhull, Brennan, Whitmore, 68.3

11: Gilkes, Dicken, Parkinson-Blackburn, 69.4

12: Collins, Halder, Jones, 77.5

13: Parkinson-Blackburn, Douglas, Collins (retired), B.Woodhull (retired), 69.9

14: Whitmore, Leek, 71.8

15: L.Woodhull, Gilkes, Jones (retired), 69.6

16: Bickley, Dicken, Brennan, Halder, 64.4

Final: Bickley, Parkinson-Blackburn, B.Woodhull, Gilkes (fell, excluded), no time – race awarded

• Like 1

Excellent afternoon's racing, and as Albert said, what a shame more people didn't turn up to watch it. What else can you do for just £5?

Many of the riders took the eye and ought to have very bright futures in the sport, if the system allows for them to progress naturally. Some of these lads are on a par with some in the National League already, and there are lads in the that league that are ready for the Premier League, but it doesn't contain room for them, apart from the odd few, which is extremely worrying.

Zach Wajtknect stood out for me, and it'll be interesting to see how he copes when he moves up to the 500cc Class.

Forty races in 2 hours 15 minutes, now that's how speedway should be run, instead of spending around 3-hours getting through 15-heats as so many tracks do. That sort of sharpness, might just invite a few more people through the turnstiles around the country, expecially on the darker and colder evenings.

When round two was staged at Mildenhall, it drew an extremely healthy crowd, so why this didn't, especially with it being staged on one of the best circuits in England, is a mystery to say the least. There were a handful of people in attendance wearing (Sorpions/Saints) clothing, three people from the Canterbury area of Kent, two from Cleethorpes, plus myself and my wife from near Hunstanton in Norfolk. So a bad show all round really.

Luckily the entire afternoon stayed dry and sunny for the most part, but phew did we hit some horrendous thunderstorms driving home, real scary mary stuff!!!!

• Like 1

When round two was staged at Mildenhall, it drew an extremely healthy crowd, so why this didn't, especially with it being staged on one of the best circuits in England, is a mystery to say the least. There were a handful of people in attendance wearing (Sorpions/Saints) clothing, three people from the Canterbury area of Kent, two from Cleethorpes, plus myself and my wife from near Hunstanton in Norfolk. So a bad show all round really.

It seems pretty straight-forward to me. I believe this was the first round of the championship where the meeting wasn't the only one of the week at the track in question. If we had the luxury of running the meeting on a Friday night instead of the Scorpions then we would have had a crowd closer to our National League levels. Have to say a big thank you to all those who did come along though.

Edited by Scunny Stag
  • Like 1

What further rounds remain ? Sittingbourne Sept 9th ? - Is that the only one to come ?

It seems pretty straight-forward to me. I believe this was the first round of the championship where the meeting wasn't the only one of the week at the track in question. If we had the luxury of running the meeting on a Friday night instead of the Scorpions then we would have had a crowd closer to our National League levels. Have to say a big thank you to all those who did come along though.

Yes, fair point Richard.

What further rounds remain ? Sittingbourne Sept 9th ? - Is that the only one to come ?

Yes, that is the final round of what has been an excellent series.

Adam Ellis, the new island signing / young hammer ?

He certainly is worth watching but as far as I know he hasn't signed with anyone yet