British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robinh88

Berwick Bandits 2013

Really looking forward to the coming season, havent been able to say that the past 2 seasons with the teams we've signwd but confident we can have a good year this time. Really solid 7 put together, credit where its due to the promotion, lets hope we get some luck.

• Like 1

Worrying little story in this morning's Daily Record . Berwick Rangers are wanting to move from Shielfield Park into a 4 million pound new stadium , their reason is that the current ground is becoming too expensive to maintain . Obviously any such move , should it actually transpire , is a bit in the future . But could the Bandits take on the running of Shielfield Park exclusively ?

Worrying little story in this morning's Daily Record . Berwick Rangers are wanting to move from Shielfield Park into a 4 million pound new stadium , their reason is that the current ground is becoming too expensive to maintain . Obviously any such move , should it actually transpire , is a bit in the future . But could the Bandits take on the running of Shielfield Park exclusively ?

My first and only question to that would be where on earth in a month of sundays would Berwick Rangers find 4 million to finance a stadium. Wouldnt imagine it would make any sense at all considering the crowds they get.

• Like 1

Or you could look at it in a positive fashion.

I'm not sure if Berwick Rangers own the stadium but if they do, sell it for £x million and ask the speedway to join them in a new multi sports stadium.

Or you could look at it in a positive fashion.

I'm not sure if Berwick Rangers own the stadium but if they do, sell it for £x million and ask the speedway to join them in a new multi sports stadium.

The council own the stadium not Berwick Rangers.

The council own the stadium not Berwick Rangers.

Aha.

Then it could be the council sell stadium and build multi purpose sports stadium for the area.

My first and only question to that would be where on earth in a month of sundays would Berwick Rangers find 4 million to finance a stadium. Wouldnt imagine it would make any sense at all considering the crowds they get.

Berwick Rangers although they have small crowds, were in profit this year and the previous year. It is a fact thay have had plans drawn up for a new all weather stadium, also Sir Alan Beith is looking for available grants, which there are numerous possibilities. The County Council have placed a valuation o £2 million pounds, it is likely that the council with it's financial restraints wil place it on the market, with the potential for redevelopment. They have also stated the new stadium will not accomodate a speedway track. This however leaves the possibility of Berwick Bandits renting the stadium off the council directly, the problem is the rent, at present Berwick Speedway Supporters Club get an unusually low rent agreement, that would be probably be re-negotiated the going rate for rental is 1/10th of the valuation of the property.

Luckily it should take a few years before it happens, but I for one believe it will happen.

Aha.

Then it could be the council sell stadium and build multi purpose sports stadium for the area.

It is not the council, but Berwick Rangers themselves that want to build a new stadium. Releasing Shielfield Park for the possibility of redevelopment.

• Like 1

It'l not happen within the next decade ;)

You may be right, but there is a determination at Berwick Rangers that it will. So I suppose we will just have to seeb what happens.

Are Berwick Rangers suddenly feeling flush, after a home Scottish Cup game on Sky against Celtic a year or two back, now two full-house home games with Rangers this season, at least one being on live TV? They'll be quids in just now!

So, for the first time in years and years, they probably don't need speedway's rent money. But what goes around comes around, and with Rangers disappearing upwards, and the inevitable league reconstruction giving the lower-order clubs even less revenue in future, pie-in-the-sky dreams of a new stadium should be forgotten. Hopefully.

Are Berwick Rangers suddenly feeling flush, after a home Scottish Cup game on Sky against Celtic a year or two back, now two full-house home games with Rangers this season, at least one being on live TV? They'll be quids in just now!

So, for the first time in years and years, they probably don't need speedway's rent money. But what goes around comes around, and with Rangers disappearing upwards, and the inevitable league reconstruction giving the lower-order clubs even less revenue in future, pie-in-the-sky dreams of a new stadium should be forgotten. Hopefully.

I believe the problem is, the Shielfield Park standards have to be improved to a new standard required by the relevent authorities, this would require a substantial sum of money being spent on an already out of date stadium. Hence taking what needs to be spent against possibility of grants, the idea of a new stadium.

The revenue lost to Berwick Rangers from Berwick Bandits would be substantial compared to what they pay for their lease.

It'll only work if the appropriate pockets are lined, but the UK isn't corrupt: is it?

• Like 2

I believe the problem is, the Shielfield Park standards have to be improved to a new standard required by the relevent authorities, this would require a substantial sum of money being spent on an already out of date stadium. Hence taking what needs to be spent against possibility of grants, the idea of a new stadium.

The revenue lost to Berwick Rangers from Berwick Bandits would be substantial compared to what they pay for their lease.

What are the relevant authorities you are referring too. Council or Football or some others.

Quite incredible, I have anothing but praise for Shielfield stadium and its facilities, as a regular visitor. It is worth wondering what needs updating, the stadium IMO is far from outdated or run down, and very comfortable to watch the racing from a seat in the main stand. You should see the sh!t hole I watch at each Sunday and the lack of facilities they get away with providing.

Unless the costs to much to upgrade reason is a manufacture to publicly justify a sale?

• Like 3