British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

Glasgow 2013

Beginning to look "same old, same old" if it'll be the same guys, racing on a Sunday for promoter Alan Dick. Not quite what we were hoping for?

Seen that George so confirmed looks like

Screen

Grieves

Bager

Young Aussie

Leaves a paltry 15.03 for final 3 think we will need to pull a rabbit out the hat and no more untried assessed riders we need proven riders that can at least score to there average maybe Matthew Wethers on a low average as i am sure he can at least hopefully add to that.

hopefully charles wright id take mickey dyer he really impressed me last season what about sweetman? Hes the kind of guy that would give us entertainment at ashfield then we'd have henning doing the bager, screen smoking everybody, james hard in first two bends then jimmy jimmy blaring and watching another young aussie prosper. looking forward to march now knowing that tigers hall of famer james grieves is back yaaassss wait till i tell my wee boy he'll be as chuffed as his daddy

Seen that George so confirmed looks like

Screen

Grieves

Bager

Young Aussie

Leaves a paltry 15.03 for final 3 think we will need to pull a rabbit out the hat and no more untried assessed riders we need proven riders that can at least score to there average maybe Matthew Wethers on a low average as i am sure he can at least hopefully add to that.

Matty at 5.66 would be a good move. I'm sure he could build on that as he may well have had distractions last year with his testimonial. A good pro and team guy. Might even help us to a few respectful team scores around Armadale!

Edited by george.m

3pm sunday suits me either way but friday night would have brought ma mum back shes a shawfield fan under lights she doesnt like ashfield but as always she go to the ones she wants to ie. enidnburgh

3pm sunday suits me either way but friday night would have brought ma mum back shes a shawfield fan under lights she doesnt like ashfield but as always she go to the ones she wants to ie. edinburgh

Was nothing suggested of a Sunday night at 6.30 under lights? May be an idea to see how things went, If it was succesful then perhaps next season if Edinburgh get a new home they can back to there original Saturday night and Glasgow can get back to Friday nights. As far as I know the only reason it changed was because Billy King wanted to run dogs on a Friday night Shawfield we were certainly running on a Friday for the 1st season at least. Fact of the matter is Sunday has allways had a detrimental effect on us being able to attract riders and keep them because of Poland.

Midweek is no go for us, Saturday night isn't perfect because it may overlap with the football crowds. Edinburgh don't have any big teams, so it won't affect them, there will only be 1left by 2014 anyway.

• Like 1

Matty at 5.66 would be a good move. I'm sure he could build on that as he may well have had distractions last year with his testimonial. A good pro and team guy. Might even help us to a few respectful team scores around Armadale!

Hitting 30 is a decent target. Wethers would be a good shout, testimonial over, would start as a second string with no pressure and no hassles of being club captain.

I thought we were done with assessed Aussies, hope he will be signed on a 2 year deal.

Thereafter we dont have much to play with, Nicki Barrett would do, surely Berwick owe us a bit of goodwill.

Racing continuing on a Sunday is a bit of a pisser, reading ET we were apparently turned down. Anyone know if that rejection came from within or outwith the speedway fraternity?

Was nothing suggested of a Sunday night at 6.30 under lights? May be an idea to see how things went, If it was succesful then perhaps next season if Edinburgh get a new home they can back to there original Saturday night and Glasgow can get back to Friday nights. As far as I know the only reason it changed was because Billy King wanted to run dogs on a Friday night Shawfield we were certainly running on a Friday for the 1st season at least. Fact of the matter is Sunday has allways had a detrimental effect on us being able to attract riders and keep them because of Poland.

Midweek is no go for us, Saturday night isn't perfect because it may overlap with the football crowds. Edinburgh don't have any big teams, so it won't affect them, there will only be 1left by 2014 anyway.

Don't even get me started on the football nonsense you just posted. Honestly.

Tell me why should edinburgh move race nights? Fans don't want it so no reason to..,

Listen if long term Glasgow want to race Friday then fair enough but I don't see why monarchs would move back to a race night we have not used for decades now.

• Like 2

I thought we were done with assessed Aussies.... Nicki Barrett would do....

Me too. I didn't think we'd be taking that chance again, at least THIS year. Reading some Aussie results, Harley isn't at Michael Penfold's level yet. :shock:

If Barrett was to be available, how about Screen 9.18

Grieves 7.57

Tully 7.01

Bager 5.72

Horwood 5.00

Wright 4.05

Barrett 3.75

Total 42.28

Edited by ragdoll64
  • Like 1

Me too. I didn't think we'd be taking that chance again, at least THIS year. Reading some Aussie results, Harley isn't at Michael Penfold's level yet. :shock:

If Barrett was to be available, how about Screen 9.18

Grieves 7.57

Tully 7.01

Bager 5.72

Horwood 5.00

Wright 4.05

Barrett 3.75

Total 42.28

Starting with Horwood in the main body off the team would be a massive risk i just can't get my head round the need to go this route again it is clear in 9 out off 10 they don't achieve there starting average and ultimately everyone else needs to be on the gas.

Campton last season rode well in patches and did ok but he didn't even achieve his assessed average so if Horwood doesn't hit the ground running then we could be in trouble and if as you say he still isn't at Penfolds level well we all saw how he faired, I just think it's a risk we don't need to take hopefully i will be proved wrong but it is a big ask.

• Like 1

We cant race on a Sunday after 6.30 due to planning permission.

Starting with Horwood in the main body off the team would be a massive risk i just can't get my head round the need to go this route again it is clear in 9 out off 10 they don't achieve there starting average and ultimately everyone else needs to be on the gas.

Campton last season rode well in patches and did ok but he didn't even achieve his assessed average so if Horwood doesn't hit the ground running then we could be in trouble and if as you say he still isn't at Penfolds level well we all saw how he faired, I just think it's a risk we don't need to take hopefully i will be proved wrong but it is a big ask.

Ouch, surely we are smarter than this after what 2012 brought. I wouldn't have Tully, average far too high for us to benefit.

For a reserve spot I would look at someone like Max Dilger who has gone well at Ashfield. The Raj K must also be due a return to the UK, at reserve he would be decent and higher up the pecking order than Chazzer Wright in my opinion. If we are starting with a reserve in the main body we need experience at reserve, not a weak 3 pointer.

I couldn't agree more re assessed Aussies, frankly I'm getting fed up of this each pre season. I know we can make team changes once greensheets are out but I'm fed up of that too.

I hope this isn't a reflection on the new promotion's way of thinking.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have Tully, average far too high for us to benefit.

You're right MD and on thinking about it, the majority of that average would have been attained at the Dale anyway.

Edited by ragdoll64

You're right MD and on thinking about it, the majority of that average would have been attained at the Dale anyway.

It is , i bet his away average is somewhere between 4 and 5 . But i must admit i'm a bit underwhelmed . Grieves yes , but Screen on his average i'm not so sure about . Some of his away showings last season weren't wonderful . I wanted Bager back , so i'm happy to have him sign . But i was hoping for a surprise signing to get us all excited , but sadly no .

• Like 2