British Speedway Forum
Friddy75

Sheffield 2013

Whether he is worth it or not, why did Promotion go to rider who public states that he lost money riding in the Premier League last season and allegedly as we only have one side of the story less money.

It just does not add up to me. ,

Whether he is worth it or not, why did Promotion go to rider who public states that he lost money riding in the Premier League last season and allegedly as we only have one side of the story less money.

Promoters and riders wont discuss figures.Riders being Self Employed just need a good accountant if they cannot make money,that will solve a lot of their problems.
  • Like 1

Thats if they did offer less money Spinny....to be honest i just cant see it...at worse i would say same deal....which you could say looking at his average is fair

Thats if they did offer less money Spinny....to be honest i just cant see it...at worse i would say same deal....which you could say looking at his average is fair

I guess we will never know the whole truth, I am just hoping that they can come to some sort of comprise, towards the end of the season we start to see what he could really do..

It's not just about winning the league it's about watching exciting speedway at Owlerton. We didn't win the league in 2011 but watching Auty Parker and Ashworth was breathtaking. I think some people might be supprised once the tapes go up. P.S. New Years resolution the glass is half full!

Sorry Halifaxtiger, I don't agree. Wells was signed last season as someone with potential. He started the season on a 6.46 Average and finished it on a 6.47 average!! For most of the season he flattered to deceive. It's not like he was in his first season in the league. If he thinks he's better than what he's being offered then he needs to prove it on the track. He hasn't convinced me at all

To be fair, I know a lot of others agree with you.

My view is if he can get double figures in the EL he can get them in the PL - there is at least a possibility that he will improve. Compare that with Richard Hall (for example) who has stayed on just about the same average for years and you will see my point.

Hall will knock in a decent score each week at Sheffield. If the rest of the team had done what was expected of them, there wouldn't have been a problem at home last year.

Wells might have potential - but that doesn't put points on the scorecard. His scores in the first two thirds of the season were worse than he was scoring for Wolves - and not by the odd point.

He may well have had a decent August & September, but the Sheffield season was over long before then.

So he under-performs for most of the year &, in a winter when a lot of riders - including a lot who performed better - are faced with a pay cut, he faces the same. So what?

If he doesn't want to progress, he can stay at Wolves - for now. He can be filed under the heading of "another foreigner taking up a place" - just the sort of place that the likes of Ashworth, Howe et al should be filling.

• Like 1

Hall will knock in a decent score each week at Sheffield. If the rest of the team had done what was expected of them, there wouldn't have been a problem at home last year.

Wells might have potential - but that doesn't put points on the scorecard. His scores in the first two thirds of the season were worse than he was scoring for Wolves - and not by the odd point.

He may well have had a decent August & September, but the Sheffield season was over long before then.

So he under-performs for most of the year &, in a winter when a lot of riders - including a lot who performed better - are faced with a pay cut, he faces the same. So what?

If he doesn't want to progress, he can stay at Wolves - for now. He can be filed under the heading of "another foreigner taking up a place" - just the sort of place that the likes of Ashworth, Howe et al should be filling.

• Like 1

So if no Wells take your pick from:

Hall & Franc

Hall & Nedermark

Hall & Sanchez

Hall & Schramm

Hall & Hawkins

Hall & Wilson

Hall & Mills

Hall & Allott

Hall & Jakobsen

For me it has to be Hall & Wells

Edited by Friddy75

So where is Dakota North off to... He was one of the best riders in the league towards the back end of last season?

So where is Dakota North off to... He was one of the best riders in the league towards the back end of last season?

North doesn't have a ride. But could he come over from Australia to live in this country on what he would earn at Sheffield, doubtful unless he gets an Elite league ride to top his income up.

Just speculation on my part, but was the article in the local newspaper about Wells wanting more money done in the hope of attracting some sponsorship for him??

• Like 2

more than likely but i am sorry sponsors are going to be like fans and say i am not wasting my money on this sorry bunch of riders, note to promotion like every other club out there, put the best team together possible like we flaming used to, then the fans will be buzzing and if we get on a good run sponsors might be a bit more interested.

end of day to make money sometimes you have to spend some as well, how we have gone from one of leading clubs to this i don't know.

Just speculation on my part, but was the article in the local newspaper about Wells wanting more money done in the hope of attracting some sponsorship for him??

did stead or the club not say the same before he signed?? Is he getting most the budget so tin pot riders have to fill in the gaps or take a cut as wells says.??...strange.
  • Like 1

more than likely but i am sorry sponsors are going to be like fans and say i am not wasting my money on this sorry bunch of riders, note to promotion like every other club out there, put the best team together possible like we flaming used to, then the fans will be buzzing and if we get on a good run sponsors might be a bit more interested.

end of day to make money sometimes you have to spend some as well, how we have gone from one of leading clubs to this i don't know.

If the finances are not there in the first place, how can they spend 'big'?

If you 'over spend' you run the risk of not running at all the following year, surely?

It's not like 'the old days' anymore. Simply put - The promoters haven't got the money they used to have, the fans haven't got the money they used to have, the sponsors haven't got the money they used to have.

Every promoter has to build their team within a budget. Some will have a bigger budget than others, that has never changed.

• Like 1

If the finances are not there in the first place, how can they spend 'big'?

If you 'over spend' you run the risk of not running at all the following year, surely?

It's not like 'the old days' anymore. Simply put - The promoters haven't got the money they used to have, the fans haven't got the money they used to have, the sponsors haven't got the money they used to have.

Every promoter has to build their team within a budget. Some will have a bigger budget than others, that has never changed.

Agree with what u say it also hard for the riders the costs of maintaining 2 sometimes 3 bikes is alot the cost of this never get any less they rise every season but the riders payments per point stay the same or reduced in some cases this is why alot of riders are finding it hard to servive.