British Speedway Forum
Derwent

Comets In Trouble

Well of course they are...! :shock:

It's because of the business model they use, ie costs exceed income...

Teams spend 'big' money on trying to be successful and when they achieve success they cannot afford it, and the supreme irony is that this success is virtually worthless in relation to more media coverage and increased revenue because hardly anyone in the respective towns/cities know the sport even exists!!

Quite simply a successful team who wins a national title makes approx (at best) 1000 people feel good about themselves at most tracks.

Therefore is it really worth the effort of bringing over foreign riders, paying air fares, hotel bills, providing workshop facilities etc etc to win a trophy that hardly anyone locally will even recognise never mind take any civic pride in winning?

Your local ice hockey team doesn't have players that play in the NHL one night, in front of 20000 plus crowds, and get paid 1000's of dollars, and then come over here to represent a British team in front of a couple of hundred spectators, yet Speedway actually makes this 'the norm' by paying world stars who ply their trade in their own countries £1000's in salaries, flights, accommodation etc.....

Simply Speedway has reached its nadir, and it is now reaping what it has sowed for so many, many years through the failure of those who run the sport to take their collective heads out of the sands and deliver a product which is consistently entertaining, value for money, and governed by a set of rules that are both simple for the fans to follow and credible to the wider outside watching sporting public and media....

No doubt those who 'run' the sport in this country will believe that the weather, the euro's, the olympics, the paralympics and even people staying in watching the soddin' mars landings are the main reasons why 'another 200 or so' decided not to go to speedway each week this year...

Because let's face it, the reason speedway's crowds are dwindling and the sport is dying on its arse isn't their fault is it?? :P

Good post. However, with respect, the last sentence may be a little unfair. I agree that promoters as a group organisation need to get to grips with the situation, but individual promoters are virtually powerless, as they are part of the 'big club' and it is the club as a whole that needs a makeover. The weather has been bad and distractions such as the olympics can't help, but speedway needs to be sound and resilient enough to be able to 'ride' these bumps.

Save Our Speedway

To all Workington Comets Supporters

In an effort to show that we the fans want to secure the future of Speedway in the town the WSSC (Workington Speedway Supporters Club) have arranged for the local press along with a photographer to come down to Derwent Park tomorrow morning (20th September) at 10:00am. We are inviting as many supporters as possible to turn up. Our aim is to demonstrate to the current promotion or indeed any prospective sponsor that we the fans are prepared to support speedway in the town. We are calling our campaign the Save Our Speedway (SOS) campaign and all being well an article will be published in Friday’s paper. So if you want to make up your own SOS banners please bring them along. The key message will be, let’s get down to Derwent Park on Saturday and support the Comets.

If you can’t attend tomorrow hopefully we will see you on Saturday in what we hope will be a packed house.

Your support would be appreciated

George Sermon

Chair of WSSC

excellent idea....i'm at work 2morra but really hope you get a good turn out....will defiantly be there saturday....

• Like 1

Call me pessimistic but this looks like damage limitation for me :(

May be but we aint got anything else!!

Good post. However, with respect, the last sentence may be a little unfair. I agree that promoters as a group organisation need to get to grips with the situation, but individual promoters are virtually powerless, as they are part of the 'big club' and it is the club as a whole that needs a makeover. The weather has been bad and distractions such as the olympics can't help, but speedway needs to be sound and resilient enough to be able to 'ride' these bumps.

correct mate, and that is THE issue...

collectively those 'in charge' simply do not have a joined up plan for it appears, 'anything'...

no national plan for marketing the sport, no national plan for british rider youth development, no national plan on track standards, no national plan for 'Team GB' at senior and U23, U21, U19 level, no national plan to ensure riders don't treat the fans/leagues with disdain by not turning with vacuous reasons for non appearance, no national plan to market research those who do attend and find out their views on how to improve the value for money of the sport, no national plan to find out where the fans come from meaning a targeted campaign can be launched in areas that has low attendees etc etc etc...

the list is probably endless as to what the BSPA doesn't do, hasn't done and more importantly doesn't seem interested in doing...

as I said in my previous post,

Speedway promoters in this country are now reaping what they have sowed.. :cry:

Yet many still insist all is well, pay no attention to the cries for change and advocate continuing along the current path the sport is taking (both EL and PL level).

Not true, that's just what you and ya few mates collectively say about anybody connected to the BSPA.

There is, and always has been, attempts to correct the slump over many years but even on here, the BSPA's biggest critics rarely agree on one way out to improve the situation. Half the ideas on here would bankrupt most promotions but the folks forwarding these ideas have not got any cash in the sport that they could lose by applying their ideas. Certainly the members of the BSPA at the AGM have got a lot of thinking, and doing, to stabilize the existing clubs if they, and the sport, can be saved for the future.

Back on thread. Worky's demise is sad to see, especially with the start that they made in 1999. Due to the Ian Thomas connection with both clubs, we were asked to open them up on their first night which had an crowd of 4,400 and the place was packed. Eventually naturally, the crowds settled down and flattened out at an average of 2,200. When Worky came visiting they brought busloads of fans, enough to give every Northern and Midland tracks their top crowd of the season. I know that when Worky came to Newcastle, we looked forward to a decent meeting, with great atmosphere and a great opportunity to make a profit to pay the bills. This continued for many years resulting in their many successes in the likes of the 4's. Denham had aways been around as a sponsor and had badgered Tony Mole to sell him the club, but Tony heldoff until he was ready to leave. Ian Thomas was included in the deal, and I am not sure he was that pleased to be part of it. Denham then started to call the tune, upsetting many, banning even more and replacing good experienced people with his own henchmen.

As can be seem, I am not a fan of the said gentleman, and i am not alone within speedway.

Yes, there has been even more rainoffs than there usually is (and that is a problem normally with Worky).

Yes, there has been many injuries in the runnin to the league conclusion.

Yes, there is a recession and less that folks are able to spend on speedway.

But add in the Denham factor of doing things 'his' way, and that is a closure package.

It would be sad for speedway, and especially the Worky fans, if the club was to be closed at the end of their committment to the league meetings.

I applaud, and encourage, every Worky fan and other nearby fans, who go to give the remaining fixtures the largest attendances possible, in the hope that someone sees that the potential that this venture used to have is still there, and hopefully comes in to save a well loved facility.

We need Worky and it's fans.

NB Anybody notice the similarities in the above, to the demise of Newport. :mad:

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 3

Good idea for the Speedway supporters to get together but at 10:00am most people are at work.

Hope u get a good turn out I'll be there as usual on Saturday.

Keith's latest statement is alot better than the one he came out with yesterday. It was a case of I'm off and I'm taking my ball with me yesterday.

At least today he explains what he thinks the problems are.

It's true rain offs riders getting injured all add up to people turning away come on its on record as our worst summer in over 100 years can not remember one Saturday night this year that I've watched speedway in a t shirt.

It's also true people just can not afford speedway every week I think it's time we went like football/rugby and have home meetings every fortnight it works in Sweeden maybe even same race nights if it were possible.

Saturday race night to is a problem because of other things to do mainly for speedway fans the Grand Prix every two weeks that's got to affect attendances especially with the weather.

We can not blame the racing as the riders have given us some great meetings this season.

• Like 1

Yes tsunami theres a massive resemblance as i pointed out earlier in the topic.

Sad to see that both newport and workington could both be history after the size of our crowds back in the late 90's... By far the two biggest sets of supporters ive ever seen in the PL.

• Like 1

Good idea for the Speedway supporters to get together but at 10:00am most people are at work.

Keith's latest statement is alot better than the one he came out with yesterday. It was a case of I'm off and I'm taking my ball with me yesterday.

It's true rain offs riders getting injured all add up to people turning away come on its on record as our worst summer in over 100 years can not remember one Saturday night this year that I've watched speedway in a t shirt.

It's also true people just can not afford speedway every week I think it's time we went like football/rugby and have home meetings every fortnight it works in Sweeden maybe even same race nights if it were possible.

Saturday race night to is a problem because of other things to do mainly for speedway fans the Grand Prix every two weeks that's got to affect attendances especially with the weather.

We can not blame the racing as the riders have given us some great meetings this season.

Sorry if we had more notice we would have arranged a more appropriate time but the press report needs to be in by 12 o clock tomorrow which is what is driving the 10 o'clock start. That said as long as we have good turn out on Saturday that is what really matters.

• Like 1

Sorry if we had more notice we would have arranged a more appropriate time but the press report needs to be in by 12 o clock tomorrow which is what is driving the 10 o'clock start. That said as long as we have good turn out on Saturday that is what really matters.

Hopefully leicester will have some travelling support to help swell the numbers

• Like 2

• Hope the Comets somehow manage to survive.Always thought of them a a fairly decent sized club,remembering the days of the support for Lou Sansom etc at Wimbledon for the Div 2 riders Championship.If they go then it will make it even harder for the surviving northern/scottish clubs.One or two already in trouble themselves.I know from experience that it will have a knock on effect.When Wimbledon closed i didn't go to speedway again for years.And of course i not only attended Wimbledon meetings,but also went to a few meetings at Rye House,Eastbourne,Reading etc as i am sure quite a few did.So all those clubs also lost a part time customer

Question didnt Stoney ride in the GP and Worky still race on saturday nights without him or does my memory fail me? Other the years i would suggest top league crowds are down because most of it is on worknights. Riders Gp to blame i suggest to a large proportion.

Pretty sure there were nearly half the amount of gps when Stoney was in them and when he was away they used a guest

Pretty sure there were nearly half the amount of gps when Stoney was in them and when he was away they used a guest

Yeah there was only about 6 gp's, Comets often ran on the Sunday in order to have Stoney in the team.

That's right far more GPs now and even more next year then add the world cup into it to and it's a big problem

If the weather is poor people decide to just stay in and watch tv

Even myself who I would say I'm a die hard fan there are times my head has been turned with reasons not to go to Derwent Park maybe poor match maybe weather maybe the presentation there are things that at times make me think I can not be bothered. I'm lucky that I work and can afford to attended every week but feel for people that can not afford to go that actually want to but simply can not afford it.

Presentation I like Micheal Max but the rest is crap music same stuff every week sound you can hardly hear it at times then we have them bloody tractors out time and time again

every speedway fan in workington... get down to derwent park either 10am thurs. and definatly on saturday to support keith and our team. This year as been difficult for the management the fans and the riders. rain offs. injuries. have all taken there toll. the fans often feel let down by the lack of riders wanting . and not wanting to ride for us . for what ever the reasons, keith and jacko have tried hard to fill the gaps, but we all want to see a seven man team. i hear keith as banned people from the stadium. and fans are not happy about it. To be fair to him i have read some statements made at the management on the internet and i wouldnt like to be addressed to like that by anyone .

keith is the owner of workington comets. speedway. and he also is one of us a big speedwy fan. He deserves a lot of praise for the effort . money. and time ,he and his team put into it. He has put to gether in my opinion proberly the finest comets one to seven we could all have wished for. Yes things have gone wrong. but he has tried hard to sort it.

so now its our time to sort it out for him and get down to derwent park and get behind him and the team.

and show him there is a big future in workington for the comets.

ashman.

• Like 5