British Speedway Forum
Derwent

Comets In Trouble

I think reducing admission will make little difference, if it looks a good match you will attend, if it's poor opposition and r/r and guests you may not. There was a match at Somerset this season where one rider was injured and 3 were at an under 21 competion which left the home team with just 3 of their signed riders, I would not have attended if it was free admission as it was not worth the petrol cost. Give the fans good racing and they will attend. Never been to Worky but what's the match night presentation (music, interviews etc) like at Worky, so many tracks ignore this and it's 2 hours boredom and track grading broken up by 15 minutes racing.

I think reducing admission will make little difference, if it looks a good match you will attend, if it's poor opposition and r/r and guests you may not. There was a match at Somerset this season where one rider was injured and 3 were at an under 21 competion which left the home team with just 3 of their signed riders, I would not have attended if it was free admission as it was not worth the petrol cost. Give the fans good racing and they will attend. Never been to Worky but what's the match night presentation (music, interviews etc) like at Worky, so many tracks ignore this and it's 2 hours boredom and track grading broken up by 15 minutes racing.

I do believe that missing rider and guests and missing riders for various reasons affect attendances,unfortunatey its just taken for granted as part and parcel of the sport nowadays.There will be a few riders wanting a Champioship medal as have been a guest depending on who wins the league, as a professional sport it just does it no favours attracting new fans for the long term IMO.Radical review or the sport is required.

I agree with your point about only having half of your actual team riding. Squads are surely the way to go?

I agree with your point about only having half of your actual team riding. Squads are surely the way to go?

Wouldn't squads increase costs for the promoter?

Berwick website has Berwick at Glasgow next Sunday the 29th ? unless things have changed and they are doing 2meetings in 1day which seems unlikely but not impossible if start times were altered

Berwick website has Berwick at Glasgow next Sunday the 29th ? unless things have changed and they are doing 2meetings in 1day which seems unlikely but not impossible if start times were altered

i am so sorry , my brain went into overload and i have totally muck up. realy sorry to all concernad. but would be nice to see a small reduction for the local meeting with the bandits . wouth 1 , brain 0 soz.. :wink:

i am so sorry , my brain went into overload and i have totally muck up. realy sorry to all concernad. but would be nice to see a small reduction for the local meeting with the bandits . wouth 1 , brain 0 soz.. :wink:

No problem

Wouldn't squads increase costs for the promoter?

If it increases appetite for the sport it may not be a problem.

How do you pay riders in a squad in a sport that pays by points scored?

To keep the costs the same, and retain team membership to keep the fans, why not extend the rider replacement rule so that it can cover multiple riders? Continue to allow a guest replacement for the top rider (and consider allowing that guest to continue with the team whenever the fixtures, so that he becomes part of the team), and allow rider replacement for any others in the team. This might involve increasing the permitted number of rides beyond seven, but would provide a 'backs against the wall' team ethos that supporters could appreciate.

To keep the costs the same, and retain team membership to keep the fans, why not extend the rider replacement rule so that it can cover multiple riders? Continue to allow a guest replacement for the top rider (and consider allowing that guest to continue with the team whenever the fixtures, so that he becomes part of the team), and allow rider replacement for any others in the team. This might involve increasing the permitted number of rides beyond seven, but would provide a 'backs against the wall' team ethos that supporters could appreciate.

Or scrap the Rider Replacement rule altogether and just have a guest (or guests) so that we are guaranteed 7v7 man teams. That, though, would mean extra outlay to book and pay the guests and also limit the potential extra earnings of your own riders.

Perhaps the change needed is to stop paying riders by the points they score. Why not just pay riders a salary like every other sport? They could be awarded a "bonus" for points scored on top of that, but the majority of their pay would be salaried.

That way it's much easier for promoters to budget for costs in advance as they aren't changing every week. Would also help assemble a team at a cost they _know_ they could afford.

It's an interesting idea, but I can't see it working in reality.

Perhaps the change needed is to stop paying riders by the points they score. Why not just pay riders a salary like every other sport? They could be awarded a "bonus" for points scored on top of that, but the majority of their pay would be salaried.

That way it's much easier for promoters to budget for costs in advance as they aren't changing every week. Would also help assemble a team at a cost they _know_ they could afford.

Dodgy area agreeing to pay riders guaranteed wages without being mostly based on performance.

Extension of R/R would only lead to the previous problems seen when sides like Exeter, Sheffield and a lesser extent Berwick B) could tell guys like Scott “Scud” Smith and Seemond Stephens not to bother turning up at Edinburgh,funny one as spectator in that you are more likely to see a more competitive meeting (R/R for Scud around Edinburgh more often than not made sides stronger), but at the same time it’s a manufactured away side.

One of the few things that is right about Speedway is that in the most simplistic terms its 7v7 and no BS to a paying punter, doing all that is possible to get back to that is a start IMO, increasing the chances of sides using R/R and turning up with 4 and 5 men team isn’t going to do much for the sport IMO.

It is tough.

Edited by wjm
  • Like 1

I am afraid I am one the Comets fans who no longer attends meetings, I also know many other people who also no longer attend, the following reasons have been debated to death on this thread, but sum it all up.

- Too expensive for people to attend every week.

- Many people have turned to other entertainment on a Saturday (the X-Factor factor!)

- The weather this summer has been awful, Derwent Park can be freezing in the evening on a decent day, God knows what its been like down their this year!

- This doesn't sound good, but the premier league product at Workington may have become a bit 'samey'. The Comets have had a cracking side this year, but the fans just haven't arrived in anything like the numbers of a few years ago.

I understand fully the promotion can't afford to lose money and are looking to wrap up in a few weeks. Lets face it, no matter what team the Comets have next season it is highly probable that crowds will drop off after a brief increase in the first few meetings of 2013. KD will be back to the present situation within a matter of weeks.

If he is to continue perhaps a major change would work, I wonder if a switch to Monday nights in the Elite League would work? New League, new riders, fewer meetings, new race night, 'your' team part of the Sky presentation as an extra interest - would certainly win me back!

Just a thought.

I am afraid I am one the Comets fans who no longer attends meetings, I also know many other people who also no longer attend, the following reasons have been debated to death on this thread, but sum it all up.

- Too expensive for people to attend every week.

- Many people have turned to other entertainment on a Saturday (the X-Factor factor!)

- The weather this summer has been awful, Derwent Park can be freezing in the evening on a decent day, God knows what its been like down their this year!

- This doesn't sound good, but the premier league product at Workington may have become a bit 'samey'. The Comets have had a cracking side this year, but the fans just haven't arrived in anything like the numbers of a few years ago.

I understand fully the promotion can't afford to lose money and are looking to wrap up in a few weeks. Lets face it, no matter what team the Comets have next season it is highly probable that crowds will drop off after a brief increase in the first few meetings of 2013. KD will be back to the present situation within a matter of weeks.

If he is to continue perhaps a major change would work, I wonder if a switch to Monday nights in the Elite League would work? New League, new riders, fewer meetings, new race night, 'your' team part of the Sky presentation as an extra interest - would certainly win me back!

Just a thought.

think you may find that the teams who are on sky have big reductions in people through the gates as the fans stop at home and watch it on tv

also running in the so called eliete league would be much more expensive

also all the people who work shifts like my self and about 4 or 5 others who work with me would not be able to make mondays every week

the prem league sees diferent teams most weeks with only cup matches seeing teams returning where as the eliete league sees all teams returning as there is only a very few teams in the league whitch goes against why you say you dont go in your own words its a bit samey

and as for the x factor if thats your choice then you really must get a life

Edited by scarra

and as for the x factor if thats your choice then you really must get a life

my mates say the same to me about speedway....when you see some of the nerds that go....they ain't far wrong :)
  • Like 1

How dare you insinuate that I am an X-Factor fan Mr Scarra, I prefer Casualty any day, although I do think that X-Factor has the edge over the Voice and will watch it now and again.

Whats happened to the Comets is a mirror of the first era, great for a few years, big crowds etc, then dwindling away to a few hundred before its becomes totally uneconomical to run (costs too much money). I am now very old and was there both times! Both opening nights - attending every week for 6-7 year, then missed a few meetings here and there, then stopped altogether, me and a few thousand others.

Fact is Speedway on a Saturday night is probably done for, I was just suggesting a solution that may work.