British Speedway Forum
Derwent

Comets In Trouble

Did think that this was a bit of bluff, but thinking about it the Sheffield Promotion have insisted that they will be competing in the 2nd section of the play offs although they were not certain to finish 2nd from bottom, so could be element of truth. I hope not the sport can ill afford to lose another track.

One thing is for sure, threatening the fans with closure wont tempt fans back, we had it at Newport last season and crowds didnt pick up at all.

Judging by the success of his company outside of Speedway, it suggests he`s a very able person and businessman. I see parallels here with Leicester in the sense that Hemsley is a thoroughly successful person outside of Speedway but he`s targeted no doubt partly due to his success. Of course, there's no suggestion Leicester are struggling but it does seem that at leicester, at Workington,and elsewhere so-called fans demand everything but they are the ones who can for a whole number of reasons can chose not bother to attend - work, childcare, unemployment, change in circumstances, the last match was crap, the team is woeful, we are winning by too many, just getting bored with it, we are not winning enough, a new relationship, its on Sky - but the promotors have to be there and they don't get to choose which bills they have to pay! Lets be frank about it, most of the tracks in the UK are being funded and subsidised by promotors out of their own pockets and perhaps occasionally fans should realise that and stop knocking them at every conceivable turn. Its obvious some promotors do themselves no favours but in the main they are fans who have done fairly well in life and are effectively funding most fans Speedway entertainment most weeks out of their own pockets.

Fine post :approve:

Not sure you will get the chance to read it, but there was a terrific article about promoters in last Friday's Edinburgh programme.

read on the newspaper website that denham claims someone said they fans should only have to pay half price last weekend because the comets had three guests.

what a mentality. no wonder comets fans have a reputation in certain quarters. what else could he do? sign three riders for the sake of it?

• Like 4

One thing is for sure, threatening the fans with closure wont tempt fans back, we had it at Newport last season and crowds didnt pick up at all.

I see, Denham spends all his own personal money funding yours (if you are a Comets fan) and other peoples entertainment. Would you?

Speedway is now too expensive and costs have to be lowered, which means less rider wages, not that they don't deserve what they get and more but some riders want too much such as a big signing on fees, help with machinery, help with accomodation, and the problem is Speedway has not got enough support to warrant this outlay, on the other hand look at the cost riders have to pay for tuning, servicing etc..

Perhaps if Speedway brought in standard machinery which would be cheaper for the rider to maintain, which in turn would make rider costs lower, then hopefully costs through the turnstyles could be cut encouraging supporters back through the gates, just an idea don't know if it could work.

• Like 1

So lunchtime approaches at work and sitting here pondering over not seeing my beloved Comets race again :sad: . What a thought !!! Then suddenly it came over me, on a lighter note (well I'm trying ) oh my god who would I support , would it be the Newcastle Diamonds and Rough Park :blink: , .......quick I need a double vodka :D:lol:

Howay pet you know it makes sense :)
  • Like 2

Is the threat to close right now, surrendering all the assets, rights to league share-out of big-event income and bond -- or to complete season and then close or sell the club and assets on?

People criticise the BSPA, but they don't half get some problems thrust upon them!

Here's the thing. Since they have not completed their PL programme with two home matches against Leicester and Berwick to be fitted in by this weekend, immediate closure would require ALL Workington results to be expunged from table. Would this change the standings? Indeed, would Ipswich find themselves "promoted" to play-offs?

Ippo might get an extra bonus of a bye into the league cup final too every cloud has a silver lining eh?

read on the newspaper website that denham claims someone said they fans should only have to pay half price last weekend because the comets had three guests.

what a mentality. no wonder comets fans have a reputation in certain quarters. what else could he do? sign three riders for the sake of it?

Depends on the choice of guests as I know Newcastle were not happy with the make up of Plymouths team last week and the crowd was well down because of it. Bet Newcastle would of been happy if all the missing fans had of paid half price

Speedway is now too expensive and costs have to be lowered, which means less rider wages, not that they don't deserve what they get and more but some riders want too much such as a big signing on fees, help with machinery, help with accomodation, and the problem is Speedway has not got enough support to warrant this outlay, on the other hand look at the cost riders have to pay for tuning, servicing etc..

Perhaps if Speedway brought in standard machinery which would be cheaper for the rider to maintain, which in turn would make rider costs lower, then hopefully costs through the turnstyles could be cut encouraging supporters back through the gates, just an idea don't know if it could work.

Buttons, a lot of people have been saying the same on here and for a few years now, me included. But I fear that it will only happen when it will be too late. However, if the penny does eventually drop, perhaps speedway will rise from the ashes, but with a different model and structure. Other motor sports have done it, such as road racing and that is now a success as moto gp and the superbikes.

Read all the posts on here dont know what the answer is pleased the Berwick promotion reduced helped me all i can say hope Workington Comets are allowed to finish their fixtures and are still running next year

• Like 1

Haven't read all of the posts but isn't it true that promoters have to pay some sort of licence fee to the BSPA (someone mentioned as much as 30 grand) and wouldn't get it back if the track closed?

If there's any truth in that you would think he'd be desperate to sell not close.

Ippo might get an extra bonus of a bye into the league cup final too every cloud has a silver lining eh?

didn't want to but must "knobhead"
  • Like 4

I see, Denham spends all his own personal money funding yours (if you are a Comets fan) and other peoples entertainment. Would you?

Certainly not am just saying, newport also had expensive teams and low crowds but constant threats in the press done us no favours at all

Id never invest in a speedway club in this day and age unless i had a bottomlessnpit of millions and millions and i give a certain amount of respect to anyone who does invest but just like the malletts at newport, people were longing for a successful business man like denham to come in and splash the cash and since he has it just hasnt worked out sadly.

Virtually since Day One, it's been "my way or the highway" with Denham. Add that to the recession & the rain and it's an overpowering combination.