British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

Ashley Jones Memorial Trophy, Norfolk Arena 26/09/12

To be fair its only been steady drizzle but its been pretty persistent since around 1pm. Hope it buggers off to the east!

Seriously evil clouds gathering which are just starting to release the wet stuff

Absolutely pissed off i have to miss this meeting,laying in my bed with bronchitis at the moment.

I would swap any of the Elite league meetings for this one.I hope there is a good crowd there tonight because Ashley Jones memory must live on.

Also looks a quite well balanced line up and there is riders i would like to see around the NA like Tungate,Bellego,Birks,Dyer etc.Hope the weather stays fine and its a cracking meeting.

Edited by tellboy

Just arrived at the stadium and its off :sad:

Has it really been raining that hard? I have just looked at the Met office rainfall radar, and although it doesn't show any significant rain in the area, it may not show the true picture.

Couldn't make it tonight, but a big "thank you" to Mike for being Speedways best MC for many years. It won't seem the same without you Mike! Pity if this was going to be your last announcing job, and its a victim of the weather. Just about sums up this season really.

• Like 1

Going to be a bit chilly round the Arena tonight so we'll cancel the kilt wearing plans! :rofl:

Look forward to catching up with everyone for my very last speedway presentation duty at the Norfolk Arena.

Take messages and all that jazz via twitter @mikebspeedway

No farewell meeting = no farewell. See you next season Mike :party:

• Like 1

Strange old weather tonight, my 16 mile journey was dry up to the hardwick roundabout and then its poured from there to the stadium. On the way home I went through four or five pockets of very localised steady rain broken up by bone dry road!

Just arrived at the stadium and its off :sad:

Shame on you for not joining us for a drink in the bar! Tut!

Will the meeting be re-staged this season ? One thing I noticed was it would have been a very poor crowd I'm going by how many cars was in the car park before it was called off I'd not blame the Chapmans if they scrapped this meeting this season have too say a poor line up = poor crowd and it was a poor line up and people vote with there feet .

Start 2013 season with a line up for this meeting that would do Ashley proud .

Have to say that I was quite looking forward to this tonight, it was a fairly even field which was difficult to pick a winner from. Had the potential to be a very good meeting. I don't think calling the line up 'poor' is particularly respectful to those taking part.

I'd agree though that this meeting shoyuld be the first one of the 2013 season if its not rescheduled for this year.

With the uncertain weather, that could have further contributed to the low turn out in the car park, particularly for those in the area looking at the dark skies.

• Like 1

Have to say that I was quite looking forward to this tonight, it was a fairly even field which was difficult to pick a winner from. Had the potential to be a very good meeting. I don't think calling the line up 'poor' is particularly respectful to those taking part.

I'd agree though that this meeting shoyuld be the first one of the 2013 season if its not rescheduled for this year.

well it was a poor line up some haven't even got a team place in the PL so I'm sorry it was poor and Ashley deserves better in my mind .

Ash was no EL snob ;) I'd layabet that Ash would have been chuffed to bits to think we still think of him, riders still ride in his honour whether they be at NL, PL or EL level and that fans turn up to watch them do their stuff. I, too, was looking forward to the meeting, it would have been interesting to see the riders in the line up, all riders should be (even Fisher but I'll let others do that haha) admired for racing speedway, it's not as easy as some make it look. As always it would have been a time to remember Ash racing at Lynn, remember what a great guy he was, remember his 4th bend passes, remember his team riding with Kev Doolan, remember the great team spirit the Stars had that year, remember how things were looking so good for his next season in GB when he was dealt that cruel card on 13th November 2005 :(

RIP Ashley Jones

Ash was no EL snob ;) I'd layabet that Ash would have been chuffed to bits to think we still think of him, riders still ride in his honour whether they be at NL, PL or EL level and that fans turn up to watch them do their stuff. I, too, was looking forward to the meeting, it would have been interesting to see the riders in the line up, all riders should be (even Fisher but I'll let others do that haha) admired for racing speedway, it's not as easy as some make it look. As always it would have been a time to remember Ash racing at Lynn, remember what a great guy he was, remember his 4th bend passes, remember his team riding with Kev Doolan, remember the great team spirit the Stars had that year, remember how things were looking so good for his next season in GB when he was dealt that cruel card on 13th November 2005 :(

RIP Ashley Jones

Well said Trees, but i do agree with Haza in that a better quality line-up would attract more punters and in turn create more revenue for Ashley's charity.

No disrespect at all to the riders invited btw, they would probably have provided some good racing - i just think bigger names would attract bigger crowds.

Oh and i say again - Kevin Doolan should be one of them..... :approve:

• Like 1

well it was a poor line up some haven't even got a team place in the PL so I'm sorry it was poor and Ashley deserves better in my mind .

Ashley deserves better ? or you? are your comments completely altruistic or maybe an excuse for you to see top names. Once again how do you expect riders to get competitive meetings 'pricelss'. Although I wasn't aware of AJ and his prowess even he would have been scratching around for chances at some stage. Shame it was rained off !!!

Edited by TMW