British Speedway Forum

It looks like there could be an early end to the Lakeside 2013 home season if they fail to make the play-offs. I give an edited version of a PR now on a site dealing with speedway in London. It reads:

"Jon Cook also confirmed that failure to reach the play-offs will bring the curtain down on the Hammers season.

He continued saying: "Our crowds have proved time and again that they are only interested in watching official fixtures in suitable numbers and, therefore, there will be no more senior action if we fail to qualify for the Play Offs."

Just as important in that same statement is the fact that Peter Ljung has turned down the chance to return!! Seb Ulamek targeting a return v the Robins!!

Will say the same thing as i said on the Lakeside forum which is-

I would edit that statement to read "Our crowds have proved time and again that they are only interested in watching official fixtures AND ONLY THEN when the weather is nice and its not being shown on Sky.

Apart from the summer months our crowds have been poor, cant blame the promotion for not wanting to put extra meetings on and clearly they were not willing to break the bank to replace Seb which i have to agree with even though i think it probably puts a nail in a coffin regards the play offs.

Will say the same thing as i said on the Lakeside forum which is-

I would edit that statement to read "Our crowds have proved time and again that they are only interested in watching official fixtures AND ONLY THEN when the weather is nice and its not being shown on Sky.

Apart from the summer months our crowds have been poor, cant blame the promotion for not wanting to put extra meetings on and clearly they were not willing to break the bank to replace Seb which i have to agree with even though i think it probably puts a nail in a coffin regards the play offs.

I think you'll find that in a lot of sports the crowds are poor when its freezing cold and likely to P down with rain, then they pick up when the evenings get longer and warmer.

Just as important in that same statement is the fact that Peter Ljung has turned down the chance to return!! Seb Ulamek targeting a return v the Robins!!

'Turned down' insofaras he was unable to move some personal commitments which clashed with meeting dates.

'Turned down' insofaras he was unable to move some personal commitments which clashed with meeting dates.

Absolutely - I wasn't inferring anything else. (ps. leaves it open for him to sign for Wolves though!! :wink::shock: )

Unfortunately its now shades of 2008 for the Hammers with 4 riders on the injured list coming up to play-off time, and it looks like a Hammers select for what is left of the season, so realistically not much chance of getting through and even if we did its not going to generate much excitement with R/R and guests filling the team out. Of the three that are left it seems Lewis is the only one not carrying an injury of some kind..

Really question of looking to the future for the Hammers now I think. Tyson Nelson has been signed in replacement of the injured Kevin Doolan which is good news for next year at least, not that I want to see the back of Kev but Tyson has youth on his side and the potential to increase his average.

Difficult to visualise the 2014 team at this stage. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Davey is back at Poole, if one or both of the turbo twins go, as seems to be likely now. Seems possible that PK will be retired from British speedway, and I am not sure whether the re-vamped cost saving EL will make it possible to keep flying Piotr in from Poland. Lewis I would say is almost nailed on and I guess Rich Lawson must be well in the frame, possibly with Kim Nilsson back but all that adds up to team in desperate need of a big hitter even under a reduced points limit that seems to be coming. Hopefully Mick Horton will announce as soon a possible that Kasprzak will be back with the Bees next year , if he is not at Poole and we can all breath easier. :shock:

Ironically even the two best loaned out assets, Kauko and Robbo are also injured.

Unfortunately its now shades of 2008 for the Hammers with 4 riders on the injured list coming up to play-off time, and it looks like a Hammers select for what is left of the season, so realistically not much chance of getting through and even if we did its not going to generate much excitement with R/R and guests filling the team out. Of the three that are left it seems Lewis is the only one not carrying an injury of some kind..

Really question of looking to the future for the Hammers now I think. Tyson Nelson has been signed in replacement of the injured Kevin Doolan which is good news for next year at least, not that I want to see the back of Kev but Tyson has youth on his side and the potential to increase his average.

Difficult to visualise the 2014 team at this stage. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Davey is back at Poole, if one or both of the turbo twins go, as seems to be likely now. Seems possible that PK will be retired from British speedway, and I am not sure whether the re-vamped cost saving EL will make it possible to keep flying Piotr in from Poland. Lewis I would say is almost nailed on and I guess Rich Lawson must be well in the frame, possibly with Kim Nilsson back but all that adds up to team in desperate need of a big hitter even under a reduced points limit that seems to be coming. Hopefully Mick Horton will announce as soon a possible that Kasprzak will be back with the Bees next year , if he is not at Poole and we can all breath easier. :shock:

Ironically even the two best loaned out assets, Kauko and Robbo are also injured.

Cant see watt being back at poole, kk may come back though

possibly with Kim Nilsson back but all that adds up to team in desperate need

With all due respect mate, think back. Hasn't our 'desperation' come about since Nilsson was booted out (to be replaced by a two-bob rider in Ulamek.......when he's actually been able to turn up and ride)?

As for Robbo. I think you'll find that he's actually a Cov asset; NOT Lakeside's.

P.S. If I was Kim, I'd tell our promotion where to go - if they came hunting.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason

From Lewis's website www.lewisbridger.com/news

"A lot of people are asking me if I will be riding for Lakeside again next season. At the moment it is too early to make any promises, as everyone needs to wait and see what happens with the structure of the league. But If I was to continue racing in the UK next season, Lakeside would be my first choice club."

With all due respect mate, think back. Hasn't our 'desperation' come about since Nilsson was booted out (to be replaced by a two-bob rider in Ulamek.......when he's actually been able to turn up and ride)?

As for Robbo. I think you'll find that he's actually a Cov asset; NOT Lakeside's.

P.S. If I was Kim, I'd tell our promotion where to go - if they came hunting.

No, I disagree with that. It was made clear by the promotion after the 57-33 defeat at Coventry that everyone's jobs were on the line except Davey and PK. Kim was inconsistent but no more so than the rest but he was the one to go because his average let Ulamek squeeze in on the re-declaration. If they had performed more consistently in the early season they would probably have a place in the play-offs by now.

I think you're description of Seb Ulamek is very unfair though. At the time he was signed nobody would have predicted he would be as poor as he was. He came in on a 7-point average having been second heat-leader at Brum last year and scored, as I recall something like 13 points when he rode for Brum at Lakeside. His failure to score is quite inexplicable as is his lack of speed in a straight line, but its not lack of effort. He has practiced enough, has immaculate equipment and brought two first rate mechanics with him. I did hear he has been suffering from some kind of virus, rather like Rory had last year and that might explain it.

Robbo was bought from Rye House in 2009 or 2010. Unless Cov bought him this year, then he is still a Lakeside asset

Edited by E I Addio

The Lakeside Hammers fixture list as seen on their website does not give any fixtures beyond the away September 16 2013 match at Swindon.

Are there any more matches for Lakeside this season?

In short 'No' - the season is over for the Hammers.

The Lakeside Hammers fixture list as seen on their website does not give any fixtures beyond the away September 16 2013 match at Swindon.

Are there any more matches for Lakeside this season?

In short 'No' - the season is over for the Hammers.

Thanks. There was a message earlier that if they failed to reach the play-offs that the Lakeside season would be over. For all that, it does sadly seem a rather abrupt way to call an end to the 2013 action.