British Speedway Forum

Good solid side. Howe and Auty are both reliable heat leaders andToft and Jorgensen both look to have big potential to improve and to a lesser extent Birks. Much will depend on the new Aussie though as to how strong they'll be at reserve.

And no Richie or Steve. As a Newcastle fan I approve :approve:

It is all speculation but if Rob only wants 1 or 2 changes and he knows of Ash's personal reasons of not riding in 2013the team could be somewhere near

Auty 8.09

Howe 7.89

Masters 7.43 /Michelsen 7.00

Jorgensen 6.42

Toft 5.21

Irving 4.00

Young/Nielsen 3.00

I am certainly hopeful of 1st, 2nd or 3rd with the the top 5 but minimising lasts has been the way to go this last season. 1 or 2 changes is what Rob & myself was hoping for as the nucleus of the 2012 is there but we will see who is available after the AGM. To sign for the 2012 PL Champions must be a good selling point.

Many thanks, Rob, & glad post#97 was wrong. A very good chance for most, if not all, to improve their CMA but they will be taking points of each other when racing. We knew our track & facilities were good & is this our 2nd honour in 3 years for "track of the year"? Well done to all involved who go out of their way to help the Scorpions.

Someone might correct me but was Ryan Douglas the lad that had a spin after a friday meeting & Rob asked him to try out at a forthcoming amateur meeting but couldn't as he was spannering up north for someone? Rob saw his potential then so it all helps having the amount of friendly meetings to cast an eye over possible Scorpion/Saints riders.

Many thanks to all our guests in 2012, none more so than our mid-season signing Nick(glad we saw improved EL scores to justify your decision to join us.

At the AGM, i would have liked to have seen the abolishment of the t/r & brought back t/s & also, a new rule where riders that stay at a club the following year get a reduction of 2-2.5% in their CMA to keep fans happy in supporting their team(this year it didn't matter as we kept 6 of our 7 but it would have been nice to see it happen for the sake of the fans of other clubs that have to support new riders every year).

• Like 1

Someone might correct me but was Ryan Douglas the lad that had a spin after a friday meeting & Rob asked him to try out at a forthcoming amateur meeting but couldn't as he was spannering up north for someone? Rob saw his potential then so it all helps having the amount of friendly meetings to cast an eye over possible Scorpion/Saints riders.

He had quite a few blasts after meetings at Scunny and was booked into AM meeting before he came over,he couldnt do it as was travelling with Nick Morris who has a guest booking for Berwick that Saturday the AM meeting was on

I saw Ryan Douglas ride in a Swindon v Oxford second half last year (although as the Oxford team manager, I would have preferred he hadn't, because thanks to him, Swindon beat us ;) ).

He came in at late notice for Swindon, I think he was on a borrowed bike, and he scored 11 points out of 12, dropping his only point whilst taking his fourth ride in 4 races. He nearly went around Brendan Johnson with a brave move in Heat 4. He looked fast, with plenty of courage, which is ideal for riding at Scunny.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

He was probably on Nick Morris's bike as he was using that in a second half practice.

I saw Ryan Douglas ride in a Swindon v Oxford second half last year (although as the Oxford team manager, I would have preferred he hadn't, because thanks to him, Swindon beat us ;) ).

He came in at late notice for Swindon, I think he was on a borrowed bike, and he scored 11 points out of 12, dropping his only point whilst taking his fourth ride in 4 races. He nearly went around Brendan Johnson with a brave move in Heat 4. He looked fast, with plenty of courage, which is ideal for riding at Scunny.

All the best

Rob

nearly went round Johnson lol....he must be quick then :)

I saw Richie nearly go round Johnson once to....... :lol::wink:

The point being it is the final race of the night (Heat 19 in total), so the track had lost much of its bite, but it doesn't stop Ryan Douglas on a borrowed bike having a bit of a charge around the outside. ;)

All the best

Rob

If Ryan was on borrowed machinery, that should give him an idea of the level of equipment he needs to suceed(of EL 2nd string/PL heatleader standard) which would cost a lot of money. Gary Irving, also, knows the level of equipment he needs after borrowing bits off Rusty Harrison. It worked for "Palm Tree" to get decent equipment/tuning standard & the riders have to step up as they are Champions now & there to be shot at.

Edited by IronScorpion

Did Scunthorpe try to bring the Worral twins back or were they commited to Newcastle. Scunthorpe have a really solid side for 2013 so maybe Richie and Steve didn't figure in the plans

Soon as Richie announced he was going back to Lakeside next year i think that ruled him out of Scunny's plans. I think Scorpions plans were always to keep the most of last year's team as possible.

As for Steve i dont think he would have been in the thinking of the Scorpions Promotion this time round.

Edited by Superstar1

Tried & trusted team towards the end of the season could have played a part in the decisions. Before his injury Jorgy, in 2012 was riding to about a 7.5 ave, Palm "Tree" after a poor 1st half of the season when his bikes were sorted, about 7.

Bring in Richie on 5.78 would have meant a 3 point reserve instead of Irving.

It was also stated that Richie had signed for Lakeside, a friday night track, so bringing in loan fees for our usable assets seemed the way to go.

Is there likely to be a Xmas meeting at Scuuny this year. If so, if anyone knows dates times etc would like to know.