British Speedway Forum
ekimba

Edinburgh Champions 2013 ? 😄

Well, Harkness seems quite happy to let all sorts of jiggery pokery go on under his nose without seeming to give much of a toss about whether the interests being served are British Speedway's or one club's.

What pish.

In his three years in office, Harkess has been faced with the ridiculous Coventry/Peterborough stance (which really harmed the PL, when KL and Brum were force-fed upwards to satisfy Sky), the Polish "silencer strike" and a horrific and brazen episode of match-fixing by a visiting team at his own track in the first two seasons.

This year, he has had Plymouth ('nuff said) and the worst UK weather since speedway began.

All of which he handled with dignity. None of which has displayed any puppetry.

A new chairperson will inherit a sport with troubles, but will hopefully continue to steer a steady ship.

Now, having said that -- can I ask thet you beggar (misprint) off and leave this thread to the all-important matter of a great old club's survival?

• Like 4

Well, Harkness seems quite happy to let all sorts of jiggery pokery go on under his nose without seeming to give much of a toss about whether the interests being served are British Speedway's or one club's.

Ah come on, Mr Harkess in his position of importance wouldn't fiddle the ashclouds over Scandinavia or lace the burgers in Berlin just to gain an advantage...it's not in the best interests of the sport........oh hold on :)
  • Like 2

What pish.

In his three years in office, Harkess has been faced with the ridiculous Coventry/Peterborough stance (which really harmed the PL, when KL and Brum were force-fed upwards to satisfy Sky), the Polish "silencer strike" and a horrific and brazen episode of match-fixing by a visiting team at his own track in the first two seasons.

This year, he has had Plymouth ('nuff said) and the worst UK weather since speedway began.

A new chairperson will inherit a sport with troubles, but will hopefully continue to steer a steady ship.

Now, having said that -- can I ask thet you beggar (misprint) off and leave this thread to the all-important matter of a great old club's survival?

I had hoped this thread would not descend into the usual guff alas we were hoping for too much.

Here's hoping that the Monarch's can find a solution to there problems wouldn't be the same without our 12 meeting's a season

• Like 1

What pish.

are you serious , Harkness handled the Coventry _ Peterborough crisis with Dignity and no Puppetry . LMFAO

• Like 1

are you serious , Harkness handled the Coventry _ Peterborough crisis with Dignity and no Puppetry . LMFAO

Indeed , Mr Harkess has a lot to answer when it comes to the handling of this situation.

From a neutral point of view, yes.

It was a baptism of fire, and he held the sport together at a time of real crisis. The behaviour of people like Trump was shocking from where I stood.

But please, go and play somewhere else.

Let people who can contribute to the discussion regarding Edinburgh Monarchs get on with their debate.

• Like 4

Is Alex Harkess a "Matt Ford puppet" then?

Was Pete Toogood? Chris Van Straaten?

I think if there is a change then the most likely candidate would be vice chairman, Jon Cook. Is he also a "Matt Ford puppet"?

How many puppet does one man get to play with? :party:

Well one thing is for sure, and that is the fact that Ford has quite a few current promoters dangling from a piece of string

Edited by Dave Jones

Well one thing is for sure, and that is the fact that Ford has quite a few current promoters dangling from a piece of string

As you've been asked before, please go away and leave people to discuss the future of Edinburgh.

• Like 2

I had hoped this thread would not descend into the usual guff alas we were hoping for too much.

Here's hoping that the Monarch's can find a solution to there problems wouldn't be the same without our 12 meeting's a season

Agreed. What match fixing?

Edited by george.m

As you've been asked before, please go away and leave people to discuss the future of Edinburgh.

Unless anyone tells me I am breaking forum rules I will post where, I like when I like. It's not as if this is the first thread to be sidetracked, and it won't be the last.

• Like 1

Unless anyone tells me I am breaking forum rules I will post where, I like when I like. It's not as if this is the first thread to be sidetracked, and it won't be the last.

Spot on. Within the bounds of the Forum rules there is freedom of speech.

Poor day when we are not free to do that.

• Like 1

What pish.

You accuse me of talking pish - what on earth is this?

Brum had already agreed to go up, replacing Ipswich who came down.

King's Lynn were hardly forced, they were just offered massive sums of cash to go up after the situation had been botched and the EL was short of clubs.

Is Alex Harkess a "Matt Ford puppet" then?

Was Pete Toogood? Chris Van Straaten?

I think if there is a change then the most likely candidate would be vice chairman, Jon Cook. Is he also a "Matt Ford puppet"?

How many puppet does one man get to play with? :party:

I would say Van straaten and Cook were co-conspirators and puppeteers in their own right .

Reading your posts mate you make intellectual, valid and reasoned points. I think the slight issue is the jist of the thread has now been lost. This is about the future of the club I have followed for 28 years. It's kind of why I choose to read this particular thread. I am interested in what you're saying on other issues, but would surely be more appropriate on a different thread?

Listen it may just be me being a tad pedantic and I don't mind being wrong!

Back to the topic it seems that there are a few more positive noises coming from the monarchs camp. If we were assured of a new home at ingilston in 2014 I totally believe we could run successfully in Armadale in 2013 for one more season. Just my opinion

• Like 1

Reading your posts mate you make intellectual, valid and reasoned points. I think the slight issue is the jist of the thread has now been lost. This is about the future of the club I have followed for 28 years. It's kind of why I choose to read this particular thread. I am interested in what you're saying on other issues, but would surely be more appropriate on a different thread?

Listen it may just be me being a tad pedantic and I don't mind being wrong!

Back to the topic it seems that there are a few more positive noises coming from the monarchs camp. If we were assured of a new home at ingilston in 2014 I totally believe we could run successfully in Armadale in 2013 for one more season. Just my opinion

Here's hoping

• Like 2