British Speedway Forum
challenger

Berwick Survival.

A bit harsh IMO. I'm from Glasgow and normally attend Berwick 8 or 9 times a season. The reduced admission Redcar match was only my third visit this year simply because the rain has been awful and put me off, like I'm sure it has also numbed the appetite of others. Last week down for the October week I saw an advert for the reduced admission in Marshall's Outdoor shop. I have also seen adverts for the speedway in Morrisons, Etal Post Office and one of the shops in town. I have also seen them promoting the speedway at Haggerston Caravan Park.

Take into account the weather putting off home and travelling fans, the continued economic problems and the lack of tourist visitors to Berwick this year IMO have all added to the problem. FWIW I love watching speedway there and hope that they can find a new sponsor to keep going next year. I'm sure they will.

I think there is a lot of the truth in here. Tough economic times and the very poor summer weather wise have hit everyone. In Berwick's case, that was compounded by an awful injury list.

I think there has to be a realisation amongst the riders that the pay deals have to change. I know they make little given that they risk their lives every time they get on a bike but if pay remains the same there is a very real threat that they won't earn anything because teams will close down one after the other.

I am particularly saddened that Berwick are struggling, because to me John Anderson has done more to push his team forward than any other promoter in the country. The stadium has been transformed with the new fence, new lighting, new surface and better racing. What's more, he had the balls to lower entry charges in an attempt to get more fans in in the manner suggested by many.

He deserves better, and I trust that he will get it.

• Like 6

We've had two meetings to pay for the fence, we've got the Ben Fund next year.

We've got 6 riders ready to go for next season, lets be positive about that and crack on with the 2013 season

Sounds to me like Heppie's fed up now that Lee's found pastures new? We'll survive

Ask Newcastle if the Groupon deal was worthwhile (I've no idea but there was a crowd increase those nights).

Get the riders into local schools, youth clubs and other organisations.

Get the fans to nag the hells out of BBC and Tyne Tees to show more clips interviews etc.

• Like 1

As someone who has read these threads for a while but hasn't previously posted, I find the Berwick topics get torn apart by either personal attacks on the promotion and staff or people from other clubs just stirring things up.

From recent publicity it is clear Berwick need a sponsor, and I think it looks that if they get one they'll carry on.

Their Facebook pages (maybe it was the club website, I'm not sure) had a request for supporters to seek out possible club sponsorship and present a brochure of some kind to the right people at such a business, while reporting back to the club that they had done so.

Maybe something will come of this, and a club which is liked and admired through British speedway will carry on. I do hope so.

I think there is a lot of the truth in here. Tough economic times and the very poor summer weather wise have hit everyone. In Berwick's case, that was compounded by an awful injury list.

I think there has to be a realisation amongst the riders that the pay deals have to change. I know they make little given that they risk their lives every time they get on a bike but if pay remains the same there is a very real threat that they won't earn anything because teams will close down one after the other.

I am particularly saddened that Berwick are struggling, because to me John Anderson has done more to push his team forward than any other promoter in the country. The stadium has been transformed with the new fence, new lighting, new surface and better racing. What's more, he had the balls to lower entry charges in an attempt to get more fans in in the manner suggested by many.

Well said, here's hoping that there is a bit more luck for us next year, and several other teams that have had a difficult year.

Ok well IMO I think the whe sport needs to be made more attractive to younger, you could say cooler crowd! Start with the music at the majority of tracks for instance- it make you cringe 90% of the time! An announcer and person who announces the times that do it in a way that makes it exciting! Speedway us such a high adrenaline sport, that seems to get dragged down with low octain announcing / music!

! A student admission price with alcohol promotions might work! Turning the hospitality suite into an actual bar serving area for all (a place to go when cold) school visits/trips with vouchers being given out for reduced family entry, that's a few suggestions :)

Better racing?????? Completely disagree with you on that obe

Better racing?????? Completely disagree with you on that

Better racing??? I must be at the wrong track!!

Don't understand the problem really. According to The White Knight the Premier League is in good shape and yet in recent weeks, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Workington, Berwick, Redcar and Plymouth have all expressed grave concerns over their futures.

Maybe the Premier League has all the same problems as the Elite after all.

Too expensive and not enough entertainment,

If every fan induvidully drags someone along and even 25percent came back. It would be worth the effort. I actually suggested a recommend a friend scheme to john anderson .

If every fan induvidully drags someone along and even 25percent came back. It would be worth the effort. I actually suggested a recommend a friend scheme to john anderson .

If every fan brings someone along that would be another potential fan lost to the sport. Don't you get it!! eben fans of many years serice with a real affinnity for the sport are stopping going in their droves, there is zero chance of anyone wanting to repeat the first time experience with the sport as it is.

First off address the reasons why fans no longer go before you even think about any marketing excercise.

For international weekends football has “non league day” does anyone know how successful it is? It always seems to get a pretty decent press coverage (it is football I know so it has more of a chance in the mainstream)

If you look at their “ideas to increase attendances at your club” it’s pretty much what is covered by most on here, or has been actively done by clubs in the past.

http://www.nonleague...s/nld-ideas.pdf

Given that attendances seem to be problematic across the country would it be worth speedway encouraging a similar promotional push for the start of next season? (Speedway gets 2 and a half hours of decent promotional time every Monday so maybe a Sky meeting before any tracks started with this to help with promotion?)

Difficult to do early season as earlier crowds are normally your higher attended meetings in general, weather isn’t that great either so maybe deters families etc, but is it worth the sport taking the speculate to accumulate attitude?

A “Speedway Open Week” when every track in the country offers free or reduced entry free to start the season that was heavily promoted up and down the country might help? (given that the low crowds are affecting all involved possibly the riders could give up their services free of charge?)

If you got say 80% of tracks attracting crowds of a couple of thousand or more does this then generate more media and public interest, which might be a start and a decent way to kick of the season?

I appreciate you will get posters like the above who are of the belief that no one has any interest in ever going to speedway other than those that already do, but is it not worth taking the chance if it meant each club could see an increase over the season…might be a start.

Edited by wjm
  • Like 1

It needs to get cooler simple as! Nobody young (I'm sure there's plenty bored teens about berwick) would want to listen to the music or announcing that Berwick has at the moment! It's time for the older generation to step aside for the younger ones- if that means playing rock music, giving the place a more edgy feel then do it!! I think fans would increase! Look at the associated themes that go with moto x! its cool, no reason why speedway can't be! I'm 37 and find berwickspeedways presentation of meetings tradgic! Can't imagine what the younger generation think!!!!

This is so impoortant. The club has admitted they have a problem

We need our speedway

Let's make nothing but positive, constructive posts on here until the fix has been effected.

As the notices say: "No time-wasters, please!"

• Like 3

This is so impoortant. The club has admitted they have a problem

We need our speedway

Let's make nothing but positive, constructive posts on here until the fix has been effected.

As the notices say: "No time-wasters, please!"

Now that is a good idea.

Cynics and non-contructive critics stay away. Let's do as the lady says, let's get together and fix this thing!

• Like 1

I think a Free Admission Meeting for the 1st meeting of the season is an Idea .The riders can provide their services free of charge and put something back into the sport as their livelihood depends on it to an extent.I also agree with Oldace the the reasons the fans are deserting the sport have to been addressed to make sure that newcomers are entertained and want to come back.Most things have been covered regarding this matter but unfortunately without coming up with any real solutions.The promoters and the BSPA are the ones who have to make the right moves to get the sport back on track IMO. The majority of the fans dont have much Idea the effort and expense it takes to run a Club (myself included) but on the other hand talking to other fans there is general opinion on what is lacking in the sport which has been discussed and debated (and argued about) on this forum. I would stress that not everyone is a "forum fanny " which is always touted when a touchy subject is mentioned.