British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Stockholm Gp September 21st

I agree that the track was looking in great condition, my only concern is that the start line was so close to the first bend, when its like that you often get all 4 riders bunching up on the first bend, and that can cause potential problems.

That said, speedway is a dangerous sport and you will always have accidents, I still feel that this one could have been avoided, there was no space for Tai to get through and he just ploughed into the back of Tomasz, Tai seemed more interested in what the other riders were doing and took his eyes off Gollob.

I feel really upset for Tomasz, he hasn’t had the best of seasons, but battled hard to get/stay in the top 8 of the SGP, I feel had it not been for this accident, he looked in good shape for getting there.

And lets not forget he had a really good chance of becoming SEC champion, that’s now gone too, I just hope to see Gollob on a bike again next year.

Its good to see that we will once again have a UK world champion, Tai could almost skip the last meeting and still have a good chance of becoming champion.

Well done Tai :0)

Get well soon Tomasz :0(

A polish website is reporting it's his 7th cervical vertebrae

So a broken neck then. Awful news if confirmed.

A polish website is reporting it's his 7th cervical vertebrae

A translation of Sportowefakty claims that Gollob "has shifted the seventh cervical vertebra of the vertebrae", which I think would mean a dislocated but not broken vertebrae. http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportowefakty.pl%2Fzuzel%2F386102%2Ftomasz-gollob-nie-pojedzie-w-zielonej-gorze&sandbox=1

Espeedway says cracked vertebrae http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=sv&sl=pl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.espeedway.pl%2Fnews%2Ctomasz_gollob_ma_pekniety_siodmy_kreg_szyjny_video%2C65232%2C10.html

A translation of Sportowefakty claims that Gollob "has shifted the seventh cervical vertebra of the vertebrae", which I think would mean a dislocated but not broken vertebrae. http://translate.goo...gorze&sandbox=1

Espeedway says cracked vertebrae http://translate.goo...o,65232,10.html

So slightly conflicting information then. Thanks for the info :)

Watched the coverage this morning, poor Tai, jeez, but hell, that's one tough dude (no I have no American blood) Just want everything to go right in Torun!!!

On the other hand massive :D for Iversen, good when he's wound up isn't he haha, I'm sure he can make that bronze his in Torun if not nick the silver off Hampel .............. what a year for our (Stars) number one, just hope he's racing back here in 2014!

Enjoyed the meeting as well as someone who is suffering from the after effects of heat stroke and jet lag can.

Tai showed acres of courage in continuing.

The crash was his fault and out of character after he had said he was not going to take any daft chances.

He was a lucky lad.

Sadly Tomas was not so fortunate and we may have seen the last of a legend in speedway. Hope not and the guy recovers completely.

But that is speedway and if it was true about Mrs Pedersen and her tweet she must not watch Nicki much.

I was watching in Polish so don't know what he was whining about after he got excluded for demolishing the tapes :)

Some good racing neverthless and NKI a worthy victor.

But it was all about young Woffinden.

A brave speedway rider just like his dad.

Those that say he has been lucky must have an odd idea of what luck is. The kid has been riding in pain since after Cardiff and now has to overcome the pain barrier in 2 weeks to seal the deal.

Of course he is not the first and won't be the last to go for glory with a broken something or other.

But credit where it's due this kid has earned his right to be there in 2 weeks with a chance of being World Champion.

Forget about Chris, or Darcy, or Emil this lad has gone about his business like a real world championship contender and deserves all he gets come the end of the Torun meet.

I have supported Emil for years now and was hoping he would do it this year. I said Wuffy did not deserve a place as no Brit was good enough. Boy was I wrong there.

If he makes it then it will be a great English sporting acheivement. Will it receive any recognition? Probably not. But those of us that know who he is should surely acknowledge it. Even those of us that didn't think he should be there.

Well done last night kid and best of luck in 2 weeks time. I will be rooting for you.

Edited by pandorum
  • Like 5

Any news on TG, that was a nasty fall....?

I've translated some Polish sites and it appears Gollob displaced the T7 vertebrae in his neck, he will undergo scans for any possible head injury, which Id imagine is routine as he had suffered a concussion last night.

Thanks, I haven't read all the thread. Just asking because some sicko has posted the crash on youtube, edited the in-video header and called it 'Tomasz Gollob Fatal Crash' Swedish GP with todays date. My stomach sank !!!

Lol lol don't worry Scoob it's not a sicko job, unless you want to classify the massive Sportowefakty site and organization sickos too, they've also got a headline on their front page "Fatal accidents Tomasz Gollob". It's just a word that frequently gets translated wrongly from Polish, possibly the word bad or serious?

Attendance is said to have been about 24800 which i think is pretty good.

Very good and one would think they'll get a larger attendance next year with all riders being fit giving us a fantastic GP series, some very good racing and drama in this year's meeting plus hopefully Swedish riders not having an awful series.

Pearson and Tatum showed there lack of quality tonight. Surely they need to understand simple maths kept banging in about Tai needing 12 points or 9 but it was simple end the night 22 ahead and you win! Before Hampels last ride Tai was 23 in front and a third

Pearson got on my nerves last night! Not once did he realise that as long as Tai was 22 up at the end he would win! Before Hampels 5th ride there was 23 in it so if Jarek came 3rd or last Tai would have been champ but it wasnt mentioned once! Terrible commentary!

Could not agree more, I had the points required by the top riders after each round and was crossing them off as they could not overtake Tai with the points available. I do not know where the figures the commentators were using came from, but they just confused people.

Hell of a shame about the accident for both Tai and Gollob, but what a brilliant performance by NKI. There were a couple of starts he had that I am sure would have caused a restart in the EL.

Thoughts are with both injured riders and that Tai's op goes well and he is able to ride in the last GP.

Edited by A ORLOV

They wont have a larger attendance next year, The novelty of a new stadium always attracts a good crowd.

What did Birmingham get on their opening night?

The last time Birmingham raced an opening night at a new stadium was in 1984 it was junior team tournament I guess there were about 800 to a 1000 in attendance

Edited by Pirio Barre

Good meeting and some nail biting racing. Well done to the track staff.

Tai doesn't really need 6 points as Hampel is not going to go through the card in 2 weeks time. Even if he didn't ride it would be a hard task for Hampel to over haul Tai.

Brave riding by the Brit and the points he picked up tonight were crucial.

I sincerely hope you're right with this Steve, but as Tai has been telling everybody for the last two weeks and as we all saw on Saturday night, anything can happen in Speedway.

Darcy in Copengaen and Woffinden in Prague are the two highest scores this season, both 19.

I think the heat 2 crash and seeing Gollob laying there motionless took the shine off the meeting for me. That and the constant banging on about Tai from the commentary duo.

Personally, I don't think any of the temp tracks make for good meetings and last nights was anything but a "thiller". People rave about Cardiff, but it's the atmosphere not the actual racing that's good. The racing at Stockholm last night was better than that served up at Cardiff this year, but IMO not a patch on the majority of the GP's this season.

Really hope the news on Gollob is more positive than some reports are suggesting. Whilst 2013 hasn't been a vintage year for him, he's still brings a lot to the GP's. Hopefully he'll be fit enough to accept a WC next year.