British Speedway Forum
Ghostwalker

No More Semi-final Gate Picks

That's a laugh!!! :t::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

twk . i know you dont believe the qualification system is fair.

But what is it about the format of the gps themselves that you think is unfair?

He does have some strange ideas. How on earth is it any fairer for a rider finishing top of the points to possibly get the worst gate of the night for a knockout heat?

Olsen seems to want the SGP to be a lottery, whether it's his knockout format or random gate positions... :rolleyes:

I don't actually thinks it's that bad an idea. Let's face it, for the first 20 heats the gate positions are a lottery so will one more race make that much difference? If you are unlucky enough to have the worst gate twice in your five rides, and scored poorly then it's unlikely you'd have gotten first pick in the semi's under the old system. Essentially if you are going to win one of these individual meetings, you need the luck on your side. Plus I seem to remember it taking about half an hour just for the last three races - which is why I always watched a recording if I did watch it.

Surely one alternative would be to allocate the riders the best riders the better gates in order of the points scored.

E.g. Gate 1 scores 40 points, gate 2 scores 32 points, gate 3 scores 18 points, gate 4 scores 30 points.

Therefore in semi 1:

1st highest scorer from heats gets gate 1 (best gate)

4th highest scorer gets gate 2 (2nd best gate)

6th highest scorer gets gate 4 (3rd best gate)

7th highest scorer gets gate 3 (worst gate)

Likewise with semi 2.

Therefore the top scorers are still rewarded with the best gates, but without the delay of having the semi-final draws.

All the best

Rob

see your thinking but gates change throughout a meeting. what was good can become bad or other way round

dont understand why OO is changing a process that seems to work ok

see your thinking but gates change throughout a meeting. what was good can become bad or other way round

dont understand why OO is changing a process that seems to work ok

HE isn't ... read earlier post

PHILIPRISING has already stated in post 27 that the only change is that the usual method of picking is to be done in the pits and not at the scoreboard.

So we don't need to come up with alternative methods ourselves.

My concern is that Ole Olsen is the sort of man that thinks that coming out as a top scorer after five races against all other competitors makes it UNFAIR for you to given first pick for the semis.

Isn't it just a little bit weird to have someone with such a cockeyed view of fairness in his position?

Edited by Grand Central

There's nothing much else to add to this other than there is no other sport that is as unfair as speedway is. The way you meet your opponents in different heats from different gates in changing weather and track moisture has nothing to do with fair.

Maybe Ole could hijack the new UEM championship, test his ideas there and then forget about them and let SGP prosper, as much as it prospers.

Correct. A meeting can be decided on meeting your main rival from the right gate. There is no way with a 16 rider 20 heat format to make it totally fair though, it would require a minimum of 40 heats, realistically a lot more.

With having an SGP series though that advantage usually evens out over the course of the year

PHILIPRISING has already stated in post 27 that the only change is that the usual method of picking is to be done in the pits and not at the scoreboard.

So we don't need to come up with alternative methods ourselves.

My concern is that Ole Olsen is the sort of man that thinks that coming out as a top scorer after five races against all other competitors makes it UNFAIR for you to given first pick for the semis.

Isn't it just a little bit weird to have someone with such a cockeyed view of fairness in his position?

Whilst I agree with you 100% the concept is used in many sports. The winner of race 1 in the BTCC carries more ballast next time out I believe. Even horse racing handicaps a horse for a previous good win

twk . i know you dont believe the qualification system is fair.

But what is it about the format of the gps themselves that you think is unfair?

Its very simple.. it's not how it was in the old days!

Perhaps its now just a matter of time before any rider more than 6 points behind the leading scorer after 3 heats gets the chance to play the joker and go out for double points in his next ride. Don't rule it out while Olsen is in charge.

Perhaps its now just a matter of time before any rider more than 6 points behind the leading scorer after 3 heats gets the chance to play the joker and go out for double points in his next ride. Don't rule it out while Olsen is in charge.

ACTUALLY Ole isn't in charge. He has a voice, even a vote at times, but so do others. I actually think he misinterpreted the minutes of the meeting where the draw method was discussed.

ACTUALLY Ole isn't in charge. He has a voice, even a vote at times, but so do others. I actually think he misinterpreted the minutes of the meeting where the draw method was discussed.

Too much of a voice from what I hear and observe on the Television.

ACTUALLY Ole isn't in charge. He has a voice, even a vote at times, but so do others.

A lot of committees are carried by the force of personality, regardless of how many votes that person has or hasn't got.

• Like 1

HE isn't ... read earlier post

Seen it now. I read the thread from the top and only realised when I got to the bottom.

Why not just have Le Mans style starts it would give riders an extra sponsorship opportunity with their Nike, Adidas, Puma etc steel shoes