British Speedway Forum
Ghostwalker

No More Semi-final Gate Picks

Now that this tin of worms is opened...I would like the tracks to be improved (if thats possible!) so that it wouldnt matter which gate a rider got because he would RACE to win the race and not rely on best gate (gate and go!!) thats NOT RACING!.. Rant over :lol:

You never miss a chance to have a dig at the GP

You don't like the GP

We get it !

You'd never guess though with the obsessive postings. What a bore.

ACTUALLY Ole isn't in charge. He has a voice, even a vote at times, but so do others. I actually think he misinterpreted the minutes of the meeting where the draw method was discussed.

I think I agree with others, Ole Olsen is well past his sell by date

• Like 1

I think I agree with others, Ole Olsen is well past his sell by date

A CHEAP shot and a comment not worthy of you Dick. Ole still makes many valuable contributions to speedway as a whole, not just the SGP, and I can think of many aspects of the sport that would be enhanced if some of Ole's ideas (including academies, track drainage and covers, rider costs to name but a few) were adopted. His knowledge, experience and passion for speedway is second to none.

I attended the wedding of his youngest son (Torben) in Denmark over the weekend and was reminded of how much his family (including elder son Jacob) have contributed to speedway and how much poorer it would be without it.

Jacob is also the best Speedway commentator I have ever heard.

Liking the lack of semi-final gate picks. It's harsh on the riders but it spices things up a bit. Many times having the best riders on the night on the best gates just makes the semi-finals bit of a procession.

Bad for the riders, good for the spectators. On paper, anyway.

A CHEAP shot and a comment not worthy of you Dick. Ole still makes many valuable contributions to speedway as a whole, not just the SGP, and I can think of many aspects of the sport that would be enhanced if some of Ole's ideas (including academies, track drainage and covers, rider costs to name but a few) were adopted. His knowledge, experience and passion for speedway is second to none.

I attended the wedding of his youngest son (Torben) in Denmark over the weekend and was reminded of how much his family (including elder son Jacob) have contributed to speedway and how much poorer it would be without it.

Having had some experience of seeing how he works I am not so sure, I am aware of how he treats people who stand up to him or disagree with him.

I did have the pleasure of watching him race and he was a worthy world champion but I don't think the sport owes him and his family a lifestyle on the back of that.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 1

Having had some experience of seeing how he works I am not so sure, I am aware of how he treats people who stand up to him or disagree with him.

I did have the pleasure of watching him race and he was a worthy world champion but I don't think the sport owes him and his family a lifestyle on the back of that.

I agree, he has made sure his and his familys pockets are lined all along the way but who would not in that position.

There is no way with a 16 rider 20 heat format to make it totally fair though, it would require a minimum of 40 heats, realistically a lot more.

80 heats to be really fair, as everyone would then get the same gate five times. However, quite aside from being impractical to run that many heats, track conditions would likely be different throughout the meeting (or meetings).

The 20-heat format is a compromise between practicality and fairness. Whilst you can unlucky in having a bad gate against a particular opponent, generally the best riders on the day score the most points. Plus, the current SGP format gives second (and third) chances to beat a rival in the knockout heats.

The system isn't perfect, but it should be as fair insofar as possible. Far better than the previous knockout format where you could draw two bad gates and be out.

The winner of race 1 in the BTCC carries more ballast next time out I believe.

The rules of the BTCC are known though, and teams plan their race strategies for each race/round accordingly. You can't factor in a totally random gate draw though (although the BTCC does randomly draw where the grid is reversed for some races).

I agree, he has made sure his and his familys pockets are lined all along the way but who would not in that position.

OLE has suffered some serious losses at Vojens over the years as well as some handsome pay days and I would doubt that he has lined his family's pockets. Jacob, after a brief and largely unsuccessful flirtation with riding, is now involved with two partners in six cycle shops and hoping to open another in Copenhagen. Torben, who has always trod his own path, is now second in command to Paul Bellamy at BSI/IMG and, trust me, has had some strong disagreements with his father. He is his own man, a really lovely guy, and provides a meticulous attention to detail which has considerably enhanced the SGP product off the track.

I know Ole has his detractors, and over the years I have had some major disagreements with him. But no one can accuse him of not putting anything back into speedway, a sport he remains passionate about and still believes is the best there is.

OLE has suffered some serious losses at Vojens over the years as well as some handsome pay days and I would doubt that he has lined his family's pockets. Jacob, after a brief and largely unsuccessful flirtation with riding, is now involved with two partners in six cycle shops and hoping to open another in Copenhagen. Torben, who has always trod his own path, is now second in command to Paul Bellamy at BSI/IMG and, trust me, has had some strong disagreements with his father. He is his own man, a really lovely guy, and provides a meticulous attention to detail which has considerably enhanced the SGP product off the track.

I know Ole has his detractors, and over the years I have had some major disagreements with him. But no one can accuse him of not putting anything back into speedway, a sport he remains passionate about and still believes is the best there is.

i would agree with everything you say about torben and yes ole is passionate about speedeway. however he has made a lot of money from it and does have his fingers in many pies. i know people at bsi/img as you do who have often said certain things regarding peoples power and why they have it ;-)

I don't want to stir anything up - BUT - I do NOT like Ole Olsen's idea of a Speedway Track. Ruined the Sport to my mind.

Jacob is also the best Speedway commentator I have ever heard.

Liking the lack of semi-final gate picks. It's harsh on the riders but it spices things up a bit. Many times having the best riders on the night on the best gates just makes the semi-finals bit of a procession.

Bad for the riders, good for the spectators. On paper, anyway.

But, for about the fourth time now ... The change to the way the picks are given out is NOT changing ... Olsen was wrong.

I don't want to stir anything up - BUT - I do NOT like Ole Olsen's idea of a Speedway Track. Ruined the Sport to my mind.

Yes, I think many people agree.

I can well expect that there are others that share Mr Risings view on Ole Olsen.

But if we take this thread down the route of talking about others great dislike of the man and his doings then it will just run on and on ....

Edited by Grand Central

So NOTHING has changed,the Semi-Final picks are done out of sight,

Ironically this whole Thread is futile,as the whole thing is done out of sight now anyway isn't it??

NO one has said they are being done out of sight. The theory is that it will be quicker to go to the riders in their pit bays rather than for them to come to the scoreboard. I happen to be sceptical that much if any time will be saved especially as it will be me going to the riders. If anyone thinks Tomasz Gollob (for example) will stop cleaning his goggles and/or adjusting his clutch to instantly choose his gate position as soon as I ask him they might be living in cloud cuckoo land. But we will see...

NO one has said they are being done out of sight. The theory is that it will be quicker to go to the riders in their pit bays rather than for them to come to the scoreboard. I happen to be sceptical that much if any time will be saved especially as it will be me going to the riders. If anyone thinks Tomasz Gollob (for example) will stop cleaning his goggles and/or adjusting his clutch to instantly choose his gate position as soon as I ask him they might be living in cloud cuckoo land. But we will see...

If you have a stopwatch and give him 10 secs to inform you or he`s given what`s left- he will :approve:

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1