British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

No Gps On Sky Television Next Year?

Not long now to the best motorsport series starts with the best TV coverage. :t: F1.

YOU are on a roll this morning. Nothing to do?

• Like 1

I had another "courtesy" call from Sky today trying to sell me their b raodband package. When I repeated that I would not even think about buying anything from Sky until they state they are showing Speedway GPs (and I was extremely polite), the woman put the phone down on me.

Now that is not very courteous :shock:

I had another "courtesy" call from Sky today trying to sell me their b raodband package. When I repeated that I would not even think about buying anything from Sky until they state they are showing Speedway GPs (and I was extremely polite), the woman put the phone down on me.

VERY bad Customer Relations Star Lady. You would think that they didn't want the business. :angry: :angry:

Sorry to hear of your bad experience Star Lady with Sky sales who I am going to be honest are only interested in signing customers up and adding products.

If customers want to make their views to Sky about speedway the best way is via customer services and the higher level customer solutions who do feedback things to whole business but remember Sky sports is actually a separate company to Sky tv who deliver the service

Very nice. Unfortunately, that is the state of this country today, Its called i couldn't give a Monkeys...

Sorry to hear of your bad experience Star Lady with Sky sales who I am going to be honest are only interested in signing customers up and adding products.

If customers want to make their views to Sky about speedway the best way is via customer services and the higher level customer solutions who do feedback things to whole business but remember Sky sports is actually a separate company to Sky tv who deliver the service

Notwithstanding production costs, am I right in thinking that the audience of Saturday night GPs on Sky was less than the TV audience for Monday (or midweek) night EL Speedway?!

More people probably watched the Gillingham match from league 2 last monday than watch speedway....Sky are interested in viewing figures and advertising revenue, not what a few Wulfsport wearers think!

Edited by Marcelle

More people probably watched the Gillingham match from league 2 last monday than watch speedway....Sky are interested in viewing figures and advertising revenue, not what a few Wulfsport wearers think!

Sky do want subscribers though, it is why they are so reluctant to lose a customer that they will often give the product away at half price. The more subscribers they have the bigger the potential audience of a particular show is. This is where the real revenue is generated in that the cost of an ad break in a show with a high audience of ABC1 demograph will command an extremely good rate.

Unfortunately the figures for speedway have been falling the last few years (I know Phil Rising has his reasons for this) coupled with the fact that speedway tends to be followed by more C2DE demograph then you can see ad rates will fall through the floor.

This may be OK if it was very cheap to broadcast and not taking place in peak viewing time but it must be hard to justify both the cost of the broadcast and the 3 hours of peak time it requires.

It is a shame because the stop start nature of speedway lends itself perfectly to SKYs requirements in that there is a natural break every 15 mins to cram the ads into, not much good though if no one is buying them.

The reality is that the loss of the GP will cost SKY no more than a few hundred subscribers

Notwithstanding production costs, am I right in thinking that the audience of Saturday night GPs on Sky was less than the TV audience for Monday (or midweek) night EL Speedway?!

I don't know but you could be right. I believe the problem is the inconvenient time the GPs take place. To begin with, many have other things to do on Saturdays, those who support their own clubs for a start. Then there are other Saturday commitments/choices which clash whilst Monday evenings present fewer problems particularly as EL racing takes place after the normal weekly evening meal etc. I am able to watch almost all EL matches live but rarely any GPs which are recorded to view later, even the next day at times. In fact, even when in on a Saturday, I watch a delayed recording.

May be worth investing in a European sattelite system, to watch GP's, F1, Football ect. For about £200 installed you can have 1000's of channels, most of which are free (including F1 in german), Adult channels,(if that takes your fancy)!

I am looking into having a system set up.

I don't know but you could be right. I believe the problem is the inconvenient time the GPs take place. To begin with, many have other things to do on Saturdays, those who support their own clubs for a start. Then there are other Saturday commitments/choices which clash whilst Monday evenings present fewer problems particularly as EL racing takes place after the normal weekly evening meal etc. I am able to watch almost all EL matches live but rarely any GPs which are recorded to view later, even the next day at times. In fact, even when in on a Saturday, I watch a delayed recording.

you are right what you say. on the rare occasion that i am not at rye house or arriving home too late from football, i face far too much of a battle with the family for control of the telly. i wouldn't expect them to sit there for three hours on a saturday evening while i watch speedway on the box. i usually tape the GP's but never seem to have the time to watch them.

May be worth investing in a European sattelite system, to watch GP's, F1, Football ect. For about £200 installed you can have 1000's of channels, most of which are free (including F1 in german), Adult channels,(if that takes your fancy)!

I am looking into having a system set up.

Or tune into the frequently 'HD' quality free feeds online. £200 why on earth pay that?

I'm going to be a little annoyed if, despite subscribing to every known Sky channel to man, i have to add yet another subscription fee in order to watch my favourite sports because an online official channel might be the only way one could 'officially' watch the series in 2013. It was bad enough with the ESPN and Premier Sports standalones. It might be more frugal to invest in a Polish language course so i can watch the online streams. I think i'd get more understanding of what is going on by listening to the commentators in my limited 'pidgen Polish' than our usual screaming duo anyway.

you are right what you say. on the rare occasion that i am not at rye house or arriving home too late from football, i face far too much of a battle with the family for control of the telly. i wouldn't expect them to sit there for three hours on a saturday evening while i watch speedway on the box. i usually tape the GP's but never seem to have the time to watch them.

That is a great shame we've had a couple of years now of superb entertainment with the GP's.

Edited by manchesterpaul

Or tune into the frequently 'HD' quality free feeds online. £200 why on earth pay that?

despite subscribing to every known Sky channel to man, i have to add yet another subscription fee in order to watch my favourite sports

It might be more frugal to invest in a Polish language course so i can watch the online streams.

Baffling :blink:

Edited by Noodles

Baffling :blink:

???? YAWNNNNN PLEASE EXPAND? OR WAS THIS JUST A LONG AWAITED CHANCE TO TRY AND POST AN IINSTANT NEGATIVE RESPONSE TO ANY POST OF MINE? LOL TOUGH LUCK THIS A RARE DROPPING BY IN THE OFF-SEASON BY ME. AWWWWWW SHAME.

WHAT'S BAFFLING????????????????

WHAT ARE YOU UNABLE TO UNDERSTAND?

Edited by manchesterpaul
  • Like 1

???? YAWNNNNN PLEASE EXPAND? OR WAS THIS JUST A LONG AWAITED CHANCE TO TRY AND POST AN IINSTANT NEGATIVE RESPONSE TO ANY POST OF MINE? LOL TOUGH LUCK THIS A RARE DROPPING BY IN THE OFF-SEASON BY ME. AWWWWWW SHAME.

WHAT'S BAFFLING????????????????

WHAT ARE YOU UNABLE TO UNDERSTAND?

Nice to hear from you MP. :t::) :)