British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

No Gps On Sky Television Next Year?

I HAVE progressed from optimistic to mildly confident that the 2013 SGP series will be available to UK TV viewers...

Philip while respecting your Speedway Knowledge , the first Grand Prix is only 24 days away. Most TV stations have got a schedule for at least a month ahead . I really hope you will be right but time is closing in.

• Like 1

FFS What a wally

I totally agree thats precisely what you are (although I would normally put it in much stonger terms).......... you're full of nothing but the negative and what can't be done whilst at the same time lambasting anyone who holds an opposing view.

Very pleased to see that some folk have worthwhile and positive news to offer............. many thanks to Phil Rising.

• Like 1

CANNOT say more right now. Contracts not yet signed and all that but although the Sky door is now bolted, at least for the forseeable future, plan b is taking shape.

pleased to hear that Mr R. Fingers crossed all i's & t's get dotted & crossed

Could be embarrassing for Nigel and Kelvin on a Monday night if Sky have no GP highlights to show

To be fair that is one of the plus factors of no GP'S .

As a Speedway fan I will be very happy if BSI can do a deal with another broadcaster but want to make clear that the door is not closed on Speedway at Sky for good. With many people here disappointed that a possible deal has fell through

Edited by flagrag

This is taken from a Telegraph article yesterday.

" The company paid up to £40m for the Irish and UK channels, and will run some of these under the ESPN name, alongside the two new BT sports channels which it is preparing to launch in the summer."

Surely therefore BT could purchase the GP`s and put them on the ESPN channel (subscription).

What channel on sattelite, show speedway in Poland, Sweden, Denmark ect? I am sure buying a euorpean dish, box receiver that covers freesat ect for English channels ect is available.

I know you can get free F1 on the german channels.

There is absolutely zero chance that BBC or ITV will be bidding to show LIVE speedway either EL or GP. The simple cost of actually providing the league coverage or a Cardiff one off should tell anyone with even less than Wayne Rooneys IQ that.

Let alone it's a minor sport even among minor sports, completely unknown to the VAST majority of viewers and susceptible to bad weather.

Factor in advertising revenue from prime time TV slots and you get an equation that adds up to no fecking chance any major TV company is going to give a micky mouse sport like ours a prime slot on a Saturday night let alone a live prime slot that furnishes only a few thousand viewers.

Even a highlights show or a one off Cardiff GP would involve a hefty outlay.

The whole idea is too daft to even laugh at.

Thing is, Rooneys probably got a higher IQ than most Speedway Riders....and doesnt wear Fecking Wulfsport jackets.

What channel on sattelite, show speedway in Poland, Sweden, Denmark ect? I am sure buying a euorpean dish, box receiver that covers freesat ect for English channels ect is available.

I know you can get free F1 on the german channels.

£149 for the 80cm dish and receiver pack.

Polish league on a Sunday, Swedish league on a Tuesday, GP's on a Saturday. Plus other sports. :t:

• Like 1

I HAVE progressed from optimistic to mildly confident that the 2013 SGP series will be available to UK TV viewers...

Today I emailed the Biker FM Speedway Show and asked if they had any idea if the GP's are being shown on British TV this year, in answer to my email which was read out on air they stated that they will be shown, someone tweeted that they will be on Premier Sports & Eurosport but did not know if they would be live or just highlights.

I do not have a clue if this is a fact or not, if it is true my opinion is that the GP's fit very well into Premier’s programming. They have the experience of showing the Swedish League live which I have really enjoyed for last 2 years. As I understand it all broadcasters buy the same feed and supply their own commentary (as with the Swedish matches) so the pictures will be the same quality as on Sky.

The Speedway Show can be heard as a podcast from the Biker FM website the item about the GP’s is about 1hr 45mins into the show

Thing is, Rooneys probably got a higher IQ than most Speedway Riders....and doesnt wear Fecking Wulfsport jackets.

As a Liverpool fan (yes laugh) I beg to differ.

:rofl: Wayne apart from being half decent kicking a football is slightly less intelligent than a slice of toast.

Sadly some highlights package (if what is being said proves right) on a minor sport channel still is nothing short of a disaster for the sport. Schlein was right with his tweet.

It's akin to the loss of the more informed Speedway Mail and leaving us with your overpriced 3rd rate publication.

Also still begs the question who is gonna fork out to provide Cardiff coverage if SKY are not there?

Fantasy saviours like the Beeb or ITV are not going to appear and BT are still a long way off from rivalling SKY.

It will cost a lot of money to provide Cardiff coverage so I doubt Eurosport or Premier have 40 or 50 grand to spend on it :(

Edited by pandorum

Also still begs the question who is gonna fork out to provide Cardiff coverage if SKY are not there?

Fantasy saviours like the Beeb or ITV are not going to appear and BT are still a long way off from rivalling SKY.

It will cost a lot of money to provide Cardiff coverage so I doubt Eurosport or Premier have 40 or 50 grand to spend on it :(

Who covers the minor countries GPs like Italy, Latvia and Slovenia?

I assume BSI cover the costs of providing this coverage?

Who covers the minor countries GPs like Italy, Latvia and Slovenia?

Mayhap they do but I doubt the Latvian TV people are gonna turn up at Cardiff so the question remains which TV company in the UK are gonna provide the service SKY did to cover Cardiff.

I think Flagrag mentioned 40 or 50k with all SKYs expertise.

But someone outside the UK would incur a lot of extra costs simply getting equipment there or having to hire it from someone here.

To be shown on Premier there has to exist footage and therefore someone has to do what SKY did.

A lot of money for such a minority sport that cannot even half fill a stadium.

From what Flagrag has said about coverage here that seems unlikely as SKY must pay them to cover Cardiff and provide the teams to cover the speedway at thier own expense.

BSI is not a charity and I doubt they would cover the costs of SKY so they can then profit from it via subscriptions.

Does the FA meet the BBC's costs to cover the cup final?

Or Ascot pay all the expense of covering a race meet?

Edited by pandorum

Mayhap they do but I doubt the Latvian TV people are gonna turn up at Cardiff so the question remains which TV company in the UK are gonna provide the service SKY did to cover Cardiff.

I think Flagrag mentioned 40 or 50k with all SKYs expertise.

But someone outside the UK would incur a lot of extra costs simply getting equipment there or having to hire it from someone here.

To be shown on Premier there has to exist footage and therefore someone has to do what SKY did.

A lot of money for such a minority sport that cannot even half fill a stadium.

Would providing the world feed and broadcast rights not be separate issues? I cant see any reason why SKY wouldnt be contracted to supply the world feed as they always do at Cardiff

Would providing the world feed and broadcast rights not be separate issues? I cant see any reason why SKY wouldnt be contracted to supply the world feed as they always do at Cardiff

Then I would assume they would show it themselves as it was the flagship GP.

Interesting point but if SKY ditch the GPs completely I would imagine they would have better use for thier equipment.