British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
WembleyLion

Ben Fund Meeting - Berwick - Saturday 9 March 2013 6.30pm

So it's all Topinka's fault.

Just want to make it clear that Topinka's meeting was announced at the Stars supporters meeting on the 28th November. Nobody has "Jumped in" or "stole their thunder" or what ever some have called it.

And the date of the Ben Fund meeting was known last October, I think that you are somewhat missing the point though.

Rubbish,any injured rider deserves all the help going.

I actually wouldn’t go as far as to say it is rubbish personally, charity begins at home and all that.

• Like 1

I actually wouldn’t go as far as to say it is rubbish personally, charity begins at home and all that.

Oh great so your going to start picking and choosing what rider gets the Ben Fund benefits,if a rider cant make the meeting at Berwick,if he`s racing in Topinka`s meeting or Lindgrens meeting for example,or he just doesnt want to do it that should not mean that excludes him from get any help available should injury strike.

Dont get me wrong Id like as many GP riders,EL riders as possible to make the Berwick meeting,but its not going to happen by the looks of things,so lets get over it.

Oh great so your going to start picking and choosing what rider gets the Ben Fund benefits,if a rider cant make the meeting at Berwick,if he`s racing in Topinka`s meeting or Lindgrens meeting for example,or he just doesnt want to do it that should not mean that excludes him from get any help available should injury strike.

Dont get me wrong Id like as many GP riders,EL riders as possible to make the Berwick meeting,but its not going to happen by the looks of things,so lets get over it.

Whats to stop a rider competing at Berwick if asked, the Testimonials they are on different days.If there was money to be made these same riders would ride in all 3 meetings I would bet. Edited by Fromafar

No, I said I wouldn’t go as far as to rubbish the point in the way that you have.

It doesn’t bother me personally much if the “GP riders” are at Berwick or not, there is nothing for me to “get over”.

I am happy with the riders attracted so far, the riders who are coming are committed guys who don’t know how to turn up a meeting and go through the motions IMO (smart booking).

My main concern, and the point of this meeting, is to offer “help” to injured riders, one of the first places where “help” can be offered is that the Ben Fund meeting is filled with as many high class riders as possible, and thus, attracting the biggest crowd possible.

Because the GP riders, do have a big draw, they do have “great power” and with great power, does come great responsibility.

If a rider has a genuine reason for not attending, I don’t have any issue with that.

If they don’t however…..makes me wonder how much they want to “help” themselves.

It would baffle me if I thought a rider was choosing not to race in this meeting, given how much it benefits the riders.

While I can see both sides of this I think it would be a pity if this thread degenerates further into bickering and nastiness, both meetings are being held for very good reasons after all.

• Like 3

Whats to stop a rider competing at Berwick if asked, the Testimonials they are on different days.If there was money to be made these same riders would ride in all 3 meetings I would bet.

Damn right they would! But what sticks in the craw is that the two testimonials are paying good appearance fees to the big guys, while the BenFund (for the best of reasons) has always offered only travelling expenses.

Damn right they would! But what sticks in the craw is that the two testimonials are paying good appearance fees to the big guys, while the BenFund (for the best of reasons) has always offered only travelling expenses.

Define 'good appearance' fees please

Whats to stop a rider competing at Berwick if asked, the Testimonials they are on different days.If there was money to be made these same riders would ride in all 3 meetings I would bet.

Nothing stopping them,and your probably right,if the money was on the table they`d be here,but as far as I know the Ben Fund meeting is on a voluntary bases.Its a shame that some of the top lads wont be here but for some to suggest that those who dont appear in the Ben Fund meeting shouldnt get any benefits is ludicrous and very very silly.

Almost as ludicrous as the idea that riders would choose not to ride in a meeting which is ultimately for their benefit?

You can add as many little platitudes on the end of your point as you wish, but it still very, very, very ,very , very, very , very much not as daft a suggestion as you are making it out to be.

Ow look I said very more than you there for my point holds more value, naw, it doesn’t.

• Like 1

It's not a case of the BSPA sanctioning anything. I

Do the Bspa not have to sanction the testimonial in the first place?

All I can say is that you can tell a great deal about someone by their commitment to doing meetings that benefit others, and let's just say im not surprised no big GP 'stars' have been announced, their self absorbed, arrogant and too good to travel beyond Belle Vue!

(obviously with exception of crump, Harris, Loram and any others I've missed out that's been at Berwick previously ;) )

• Like 1

So it's all Topinka's fault.

Just want to make it clear that Topinka's meeting was announced at the Stars supporters meeting on the 28th November. Nobody has "Jumped in" or "stole their thunder" or what ever some have called it.

Dont think any of posters blame Tom Topinka, he is a great guy, fully deserving meeting. Just that Ben Meeting normally starts a season and I just wonder if the Committee behind Tom meeting could have held it later? But maybe not?
  • Like 1

The clash of dates is unfortune but it shows the lack of communication and self interest that exists between Speedway Promotions,the Ben Fund on March 9th was obviously set early to attract riders warming up for the season and attract Star names to boost the crowd before their busy league schedule begins but IMO the Testimonials have jump in and offered the GP guys some practice for the NZ GP knowing their "friends" wouldn't let them down and it would disrupt the proceedingsof Ben Fund, pretty poor IMO.I am sure the riders that turn will put a good show though.