British Speedway Forum

I was not having a laugh or sticking the knife in, yes I could have worded my last sentence differently, but I voice my opinion as I see it.

There is a big difference between the GPS' and league racing, sadly he just has not got that "something" for the former.

In league racing he is still a force to be reckoned with, and when he has guested for us he's given his all, unlike other guests we've had.

Hope that clears that up.

Clear.

Still think it's finances. The guy can ride a bike, they just never look quick enough.

• Like 1

Was good to see Jason again and yes he was good, but I would not expect any other from a professional like himself.

Well done Smoli, great win from the underdog and looks like an interesting character who might bring a bit of fun to the GPs

Ward blithering on about yellow cards for that crash...tool!

Edited by horneymikh

Hardly blithering on, he's injured and perhaps thinks that Smoli should have controlled his bike a little better?

Well done Smoli, great win from the underdog and looks like an interesting character who might bring a bit of fun to the GPs

Ward blithering on about yellow cards for that crash...tool!

Hardly blithering on, he's injured and perhaps thinks that Smoli should have controlled his bike a little better?

Whingeing Aussies. :shock: :shock:

Makes a great change from whingeing 'Poms' doesn't it. :t:

To quote Corporal Jones "they don't like it up 'em". :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 1

If that is the case he may want to look at his own ability to control a bike being as he ended up in the fence twice in a previous race. That said, I hope he recovers soon and is back racing, he just needs to quit whining and realise these incidences happen, particularly when tracks rut up.

• Like 4

Nice example oleoleole!!

He might have forgotten about it. Im sorry for him, and also hope he gets well soon, but these things happen so he should not moan about it. I think he only does cos it was Smolinski, the newcomer.

Perhaps Darcy Ward ought to look at this before taking Smoli to task.

Same bend, the previous year, heat 14. To be fair he just managed to save it but very very close to a similar outcome.

Nice one.

Perhaps Darcy Ward ought to look at this before taking Smoli to task.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vlqUKJ6SwP0

Same bend, the previous year, heat 14. To be fair he just managed to save it but very very close to a similar outcome.

The difference being - as the commentators pointed out - Darcy controlled it better, Smolinski didn't!!

Matt Ford was smack on the money with his program notes last night about the Smolinski incident.

Matt Ford was smack on the money with his program notes last night about the Smolinski incident.

It was a racing incident nothing more nothing less,all this yellow card drivel is just nonsense .

Are you going to enlighten us all on what Matt Ford said in his Programme* Notes Steve.

* We are NOT Americans. :angry: :angry:

Maybe the track should have been prepared better for such an important event,ruts on the inside every year. Does that mean you can't use that part of the track.There was few nasty pick-ups coming of the 1rst bend but the riders concerned got away with it.
  • Like 1

It was a racing incident nothing more nothing less,all this yellow card drivel is just nonsense .

Not none sense at all, bit of common sense.

Are you going to enlighten us all on what Matt Ford said in his Programme* Notes Steve.

* We are NOT Americans. :angry: :angry:

Matt said, " I felt a sense of injustice when German Martin Smolinski celebrated on one wheel, punched the air with delight and spoke of Saturdays debut win in the NZ GP as being on of the greatest days of his life.

Please don't get me wrong, what Martin produced on Saturday was something quite unbelievable.

To come from last to first in a GP final is a stunning achievement, particularly on your first taste amount speedways elite field.

And it's certainly nothing against Martinbwho I have always had the greatest respect for. He's earned his right to bein the GP this season and the rest of the top boys know he is not there just to make up the numbers.

The reason I am angry and confused is the way speedway allows rough justice to go unpunished.

Without any question, when Martin hit a rut and T Boned Darcy Ward into the fence and out of the meeting in he at 14 it was an unintentional move. A complete accident.

But the fact is it ended Darcys GP involvement, suffering concussion, a broken thumb, a dodgy knee and has put him out of speedway for anything up to six weeks.

Yet for my money, it's no different from an over the top tackle in football. A player races in tries to get the ball,but takes out his opponent instead.

However, the difference in punishments are polar opposites.

A footballer will be either immediately red carded, and miss the rest of the match, or suffer a booking, which could lead to him missing games in the near future.

What happened to Martin, in this instance, was he suffered an exclusion, when he was last anyway. And that was it. That's all anref can do within speedways current rules.

I remember watching a meeting at Brandon a few years ago when a similar thing happened. In the first ride he overlooked a corner and sent the opposing reserve into the fence and out of the meeting in his first ride.

In his next race he did exactly the same thing and ko'd the other Ipswich reserve, putting him out. But this rider was still able to go out and race for the rest of the meeting helping his side win against the opponents who had to race several races with three riders only.

In my book, although he didn't mean to injure the riders in both cases he caused a major problem and wasn't punish for it. As far as I was concerned on Saturday in Auckland, Martin Smolinski accidentally took out an opponent but suffered no disciplinary punishment, and less than an hour was top of the podium!

If it had been a football match and Luis Suarez had produced an accidental but clearly bad challenge on an opponent that had seen this layer stretchers off to hospital and out of the game for six weeks, and then had gone on to score a hat trick, there would have been a riot in football about the injustice of it all.

And before anyone claims I am biased towards Darcy, believe me, Inwouldnhave said exactly the same thing if our skipper had done the same thing."