British Speedway Forum
THE DEAN MACHINE

The Start Of The Decline

Utter nonsense.

In my opinion SKY's coverage has brought people back to the sport and also introduced newcomers. I wonder what sort of state the sport would be in now without the last ten years of coverage.

Not really utter nonsense is it. When ever a Sky live match is shown on a Monday night there is nobody there. If the matches were not on TV they would all have bigger gates Fact. .That would probably apply to every match shown in the last decade. except the Arena Essex that was free

I have never been to a British Grand Prix but have been to many world finals(those were the days) and Grand Prixs abroad. If the British GP is not on TV I will go. In fact if the British GP is not shown live the gate will be bigger and will stop the decline of this last few years. If it is shown live the attendance will dip even further

Not really utter nonsense is it. When ever a Sky live match is shown on a Monday night there is nobody there. If the matches were not on TV they would all have bigger gates Fact. .That would probably apply to every match shown in the last decade. except the Arena Essex that was free

I have never been to a British Grand Prix but have been to many world finals(those were the days) and Grand Prixs abroad. If the British GP is not on TV I will go. In fact if the British GP is not shown live the gate will be bigger and will stop the decline of this last few years. If it is shown live the attendance will dip even further

Now I will type this really slowly so you can understand.

Yes, the individual meetings shown on SKY may have a decrease in crowd numbers, not always the case tough as has been proved by Lakeside and Swindon if promoted properly they can still attract decent crowds.

But the overall exposure the sport receives by being shown on SKY can only be a good thing for Speedway on the whole. Casual viewers and lapsed fans (myself included) have been brought (back) into the sport by attending at their local tracks.

• Like 3

Like most of the posts on this type of thread. People simply list there own little dislikes, however trivial, and declare it the reason the sport is in the mire. Surprised Ian hasn't been on yet blaming it all on the tactical ride

It certainly hasn't helped the situation oldace me old mate.

My views on the various other reasons for the decline are well known.

However, sadly, I don't have a Magic Wand so I don't know the solution.

What I DO know is that of the various 'Cuts' planned by the Government - so far only about 20% have actually worked through to us, the Public. That means things are going to get considerably worse when the remaining 80% hit us. I have finally concluded that the MAIN reason that Speedway is/will be in trouble will ultimately be because of these 'Cuts'. My favourite 'hobby horse' the Tactical Ride, as I said, doesn't help - but - it pales in to insignificance compared to the Financial Strictures that are coming our way. It will affect ALL of us. Disposable income will become a problem for lots of people - you will find that Food comes in front of Entertainment as a priority.

I don't know what Socio Economic Group Speedway Supporters fall in to - but - I would bet that we will lose more Supporters than they will in Croquet or in the 'Horsey' Set, Badminton Horse Trials etc.....

Total guesswork! You can't prove what you claim to be "fact".

Perhaps speedway fans should insist to their loved ones that when they die, their funerals should be staged at a speedway match at their beloved club.

Oooh I don't know about that. I'd imagine if it was my funeral the likes of Shadders, Subedei, Squall etc. would make a special trip to Brandon, all lining up blowing their air horns and glad to see the back of me. :D

I have actually been to a funeral at the Coventry track of a good friend who used to stand with us on the 4th bend. His ashes were scattered on the starting gate and 4th bend. The lady vicar who conducted the service didn't even know the speedway track existed although her church was only a few miles away.

We'll all come with our deckchairs,blankets and flask of tea.Maybe a few will even have a bobble hat and a rattle to send you off right and proper lol

We'll all come with our deckchairs,blankets and flask of tea.Maybe a few will even have a bobble hat and a rattle to send you off right and proper lol

We can even bring a dog with us just for the occasion.

i think a lot of it stems from the 'professional speedway rider'.

professional riders requiring more and more equipment, which in turn means more and more wages, then higher admission prices.

the days where you could turn up with a bike on a rack one week, have a practise and be in the team next week, are gone.

the need to have 2 bikes in the pits, both looking identical and imaculate, where does that money come from? so much harder for the 'bloke in the street' to have a go.

Yes,but don't leave them in the car during the srvice.....at least not without the window slightly open

• Like 1

I think the most worrying thing for the sport is that the 'decline' is still ongoing and not slowing down.

Once the SKY deal goes (which seems likely after this year) then the EL will finally be allowed to breathe it's last as nobody is going to spend any real money on taking over the excellent coverage SKY have given the sport.

Speedway may even have trouble giving itself away to someone as it's not cheap covering the sport and there are a lot more indoor alternatives that will fill schedules a lot cheaper.

And whomsoever takes over from SKY will have to stump up for the cost of covering matches as unlike Sweden there won't be any footage to commentate on unless they do it themselves.

Perhaps the sport will have to become insular and as someone suggested on another thread drop down a notch to somewhere around PL level. Maybe at last try to bring on our own riders rather than everyone elses.

The excitement in the sport comes from racing not having someone on a big wage who has a nice van and really smart equipment who wins every race by half a lap.

Big names don't equate to exciting racing so maybe the idiots that run the sport might be forced come to up with a long term plan that would benefit the sport rather than just keep Poole's top two together every year. :)

Edited by pandorum
  • Like 7

Now I will type this really slowly so you can understand.

Yes, the individual meetings shown on SKY may have a decrease in crowd numbers, not always the case tough as has been proved by Lakeside and Swindon if promoted properly they can still attract decent crowds.

But the overall exposure the sport receives by being shown on SKY can only be a good thing for Speedway on the whole. Casual viewers and lapsed fans (myself included) have been brought (back) into the sport by attending at their local tracks.

Good post ...thou mickthemuppett best get his GP ticket quick as if he is right there will a record crowd at Cardiff this year now the GP's are not on tv .

Also the fact people turn out at meetings dressed in wulfsport crap, donnay trackies, lonsdale trainers, kappa jumpers along with program boards, tip ex, assorted pens for the program etc etc... listening to a track that didnt even make the top ten in the 70s over the tannoy has a big part to play... try moving with the times!

Also the fact people turn out at meetings dressed in wulfsport crap, donnay trackies, lonsdale trainers, kappa jumpers along with program boards, tip ex, assorted pens for the program etc etc... listening to a track that didnt even make the top ten in the 70s over the tannoy has a big part to play... try moving with the times!

Thats it ,im ditching the wulfsport crap and lonsdale trainers and ill be on the terraces with my armani suit on why didnt i think of it before
  • Like 1

How long is a piece of string sums up what is wrong with this sport ,IMO there is no one factor or reason but my main concern is those that have and do run the sport now.There is no doubt that the costs to riders has had an affect ,the desperate urge for more power and speed which quite frankly is hard to appreciate as a spectator .The ridiculous annual rule changing that seems in most cases to be knee jerk reactions to say the least and the fact that the rule makers have in most cases vested interests in the sport.What has happen to the sport from a youth point of view is that the cost and demands to get involved have increased while the appeal of the sport in general has diminished to the point that I believe the average age of a fan is about 40 yrs old.The product is old dated and in most cases presented in less than desirable conditions in all but a handful of cases ,my wife will not go because of this anymore.The GP'S prove this well presented marketed my one complaint is that there are too many and it has damaged the British league through rider availability ,plus I believe that it has given Olsen far too much power and influence on the sport.The TV rights should belong to the sport and not one individual thus under the right guidance putting much needed revenue into the sport.I am not more dirt on the track ,two valve upright and open face helmet preacher ,the sport can't go back but standard engine and frame specs are possible and workable if peop[le want them to be .To sum up this sport fell apart over many years because of the attitude of no long term planning some very greedy people taking more than it could give.

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 2