British Speedway Forum
KEITH M

Freddie Williams R.i.p

Yes, very sad news. Freddie was always so supportive of speedway right up to his death. He still went to meetings, functions, events etc. R.I.P. Freddie

• Like 1

Freddie Williams was one of the biggest names in the early 50's, one of Britains greatest courtesy of his world titles!

R.I.P!

How fitting that Freddie was finally recognised by the GP big wigs at the British GP only months before his passing. Unquestionably Wales greatest ever speedway rider.

RIP Freddie.

So sorry to hear of Freddie Williams death. I saw him on numerous occasions including his two World titles . What a fantastic rider he was and he stood almost alone at times against the mighty Australian Test Team of the day. I doubt that we will see his like again from Britain. Makes the current lot look even more feeble

• Like 1

A great rider and ambassador for the sport. I remember him, and his brother, riding in the Southern Centre Grasstrack Championships in 1949 or 50 at Bishops Waltham. He won outright in great style. How many current world champions would be seen doing this, and on a speedway bike without rear suspension. A sad passing indeed.

Sad news R.I.P Freddie a true champion and proud Welshman,shame on both BBC Wales & ITV Wales Sport for not recognising the greatest speedway rider to come out of Wales.

As there seems to be TWO Threads running regarding Freddie - could the Mods not merge them?

• Like 1

A great ambassador for the sport. I remember him and his brother, Eric, competing in th Southern Centre ACU Grasstrack Championships at Bishops Waltham in 1949 or 50. He won outright. This was on his speedway bike with no rear suspension. How many modern day top riders would do this? Cameron Woodward and David Howe come to mind.

Sad news R.I.P Freddie a true champion and proud Welshman,shame on both BBC Wales & ITV Wales Sport for not recognising the greatest speedway rider to come out of Wales.

I phoned The BBC wales radio Programme With This Sad News, It was the Jason mohamed Phone in The Resercher Took Down All the Details, But as Yet to My Knowledge No Comment has Been made , Perhaps they Think This was not as News worthy as A Ball Boy being Kicked by a Chelsea Footballer, Phone Jason Mohamed On 03700 100 110 Between 10 and One

R.I.P Freddie, I was never lucky enough to see you ride, but in addition to your magnificent achievements on the track at least you have managed to achieve possibly the biggest article concerning speedway in the Torygraph for many years in todays obituary columns.

Thoughts are with Freddies family and friends at this sad time