British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Saints V Long Eaton Select - Nl Challenge (friday, March 29th - Follows Pl Meeting Which Starts At 3pm, So Approx Start-time 4.30pm)

RETURN OF THE SAINTS

THE teams have been confirmed for the second meeting of the Good Friday double-header at the Eddie Wright Raceway.

Following the Scunthorpe Scorpions v Leicester Lions League Cup match (start-time 3pm), the Scunthorpe Saints will take to the track in the first of a series of National League challenge matches, entertaining a Long Eaton select side.

Saints’ team manager Stuart Parnaby said: “It’s great to keep the Saints team alive, even if we aren’t running in the league.

“It will give opportunities for riders to complete in meetings of a National League standard at Scunthorpe. Hopefully we can get in the odd away meeting in as well.”

Parnaby praised Scorpions’ team manager Richard Hollingsworth’s determination in making sure the Saints took to the track in 2013 in one capacity or another.

“When Rob (Godfrey, Scunthorpe promoter) made the difficult decision to pull the Saints out of the National League on financial grounds, it hit Richard the hardest out of all of us”, he revealed.

“We were all disappointed – Rob, Rebecca (Stuart’s wife and Saints’ co-team manager) and myself. But Richard was really gutted. He co-ordinates the amateur meetings and practice sessions at Scunthorpe, and the disappearance of the Saints left a big hole.

“I take my hat off to him, for putting together a plan which would enable the Saints to continue in challenge matches. This is Richard’s baby.”

Parnaby - who will also be down the pits for Scorpions’ meetings as the mechanic for Thomas Jorgensen and Ryan Douglas - is looking forward to the Saints’ first meeting.

“We’ve got a tremendous team out for the Saints. We’re at the start of the season, so both Scorpions’ reserves Ryan Douglas and Josh Bates will be riding for us, to get in a bit more practice.

“Oliver Greenwood, Max Clegg and Danny Phillips need no introduction, as they all rode for the Saints regularly in 2012. Danny hasn’t got a National League team this season as yet, so this is a chance for him to go out, score a few points, and if one of the NL teams suddenly needs a new rider, maybe they will look in his direction.”

The Saints team is completed by Adam Kirby, a member of the Scunthorpe Stags Midland Development League team in 2012, plus a new name – Matt Williamson. Williamson has already turned a few heads by qualifying for the final of the British Under-21 Final at Wolverhampton.

Parnaby said: “Matt is no stranger to Scunthorpe. He’s ridden at Scunthorpe a few times already – in the amateur meetings. He’s riding for Buxton in the National League this year, and this gives him the chance of some extra competitive rides.”

Teams for Good Friday:

Scunthorpe Saints: 1. Ryan Douglas, 2. Matt Williamson, 3. Oliver Greenwood, 4. Max Clegg, 5. Josh Bates, 6. Danny Phillips, 7. Adam Kirby.

Long Eaton Select: 1. Lee Dicken, 2. Lee Geary, 3. Shane Waldron, 4. Luke Chessell, 5. Ben Morley, 6. Nathan Greaves, 7. Conor Dywer.

Double Header Admission Prices:

Adult: £16.00

Student/OAP: £14.00

Child (10 - 16): £5.00

Child (0 - 9) Free (accompanied by paying adult)

Family Ticket £37 (2 adults, 2 Children 10-16)

Match Programme: £1.00

Edited by lucifer sam

Congratulations on the longest ever Topic title. :rofl:

Good to see a couple of Kent CTA Fire Kings getting some track time - good luck to Adam Kirby & Ben Morley

• Like 1

Any updates for this meeting ? ,if not can some one keep us informed on this forum

Here is the apathy of British speedway.

Everyone moans, groans and shouts about opportunitys for riders and here we have a prime example that no one cares enough to report about it when they do.

Hope every rider did well, learned something and left the meeting as they arrived

• Like 2

Everyone moans, groans and shouts about opportunitys for riders and here we have a prime example that no one cares enough to report about it when they do.

Hope every rider did well, learned something and left the meeting as they arrived

I will be posting a full match report - including interviews with Rebecca Parnaby and Olly Greenwood - on the Scunny website in the morning.

In short, the Saints recovered from a six-point deficit, with a fine paid maximum from Ryan Douglas.

All the best

Rob

Match report now added to Scunny website.

All the best

Rob

now that I am getting used to it I like the new site layout Rob - good work as usual on the reports too :t:

Lee Dicken was a revelation to be fair and it was really nice to see C Dwyer doing so well for his first meeting back but all riders did well considering the weather conditions and the fact it was a second meeting and the track may not have been as well preped as the first :-)

Edited by TMW

Lee Dicken was a revelation to be fair ...

Am I right in thinking Lee's still looking for a 2013 club - or has he got an PL berth..?

Lee is a good rider and a real crowd pleaser. Of those who were there, who can ever forget the race he had with Buzz at Arena Essex back in his days with the Hammers. A classic Speedway race!

NL/CL-wise I think it might be true that following his PL days his only spells in the third tier have been briefly with Newcastle and then an incredibly short spell with the Sittingbourne Crusaders (one match, paid 15 at Plough Lane vs. Wimbledon). Could Lee be ready and waiting for an NL side needing change later in the season as a ready-made number one..? I'd say so!

Nathan Greaves was mighty impressive in this meeting,cracking little rider in the making.

Am I right in thinking Lee's still looking for a 2013 club - or has he got an PL berth..?

Lee is a good rider and a real crowd pleaser. Of those who were there, who can ever forget the race he had with Buzz at Arena Essex back in his days with the Hammers. A classic Speedway race!

NL/CL-wise I think it might be true that following his PL days his only spells in the third tier have been briefly with Newcastle and then an incredibly short spell with the Sittingbourne Crusaders (one match, paid 15 at Plough Lane vs. Wimbledon). Could Lee be ready and waiting for an NL side needing change later in the season as a ready-made number one..? I'd say so!

I think he could do with a few more (practice) meetings to be a NO1 but he was good and as Montie says Nathan Greaves was impresive infact it was a very good meeting to say none of the lads were getting paid and put to good use the valuable track time.

A huge thanks to the Scunthorpe promotion for inviting a Long Eaton Invaders team to be the first in a series of NL standard challenge matches against the Saints. Richard Hollingworth put in a lot of effort to sort out two balanced teams, and had it not been for work commitments, we might have been able to field a side slightly more representative of the Invaders but a big thanks to all our riders for turning up to ride for us on a bitterly cold day, the spectators who stayed behind to watch what was a very entertaining match, and all the track staff who endured artic conditions on Friday.

This meeting was the first full 15 heat match for the new Invaders and was extremely important in keeping the name alive and represents a significant milestone in our plans to get a team running on our own track.

Martin Widman

• Like 2