British Speedway Forum
mike1944

Speedway Outpricing Itself?

Would speedway gain in the long run with reduced admission prices. We keep seeing admission prices rising with people having less money to spare. If admission prices were considerably reduced would they attract more people, once in the stadium they would then buy a programme, drink, hot dog, etc.

Tracks are nowhere near filled to capacity, so would say reducing to admission something like £8, overall generate more money through increased attendances. Speedway is run whether there are 500 of 5000 supporters and many who do not go now would be maybe willing to pay say £8 rather than £14. Anyone got any views on this?

There are often venues and places open to the public, not only speedway, where I look at the admission price and say, no way, too expensive, I cannot afford that. This is OK for the venue if by charging high prices they can run at crowd capacity level but if people are reluctant to pay these high prices and do not turn up, it then it soon becomes a loss making event.

Would speedway gain in the long run with reduced admission prices. We keep seeing admission prices rising with people having less money to spare. If admission prices were considerably reduced would they attract more people, once in the stadium they would then buy a programme, drink, hot dog, etc.

Tracks are nowhere near filled to capacity, so would say reducing to admission something like £8, overall generate more money through increased attendances. Speedway is run whether there are 500 of 5000 supporters and many who do not go now would be maybe willing to pay say £8 rather than £14. Anyone got any views on this?

There are often venues and places open to the public, not only speedway, where I look at the admission price and say, no way, too expensive, I cannot afford that. This is OK for the venue if by charging high prices they can run at crowd capacity level but if people are reluctant to pay these high prices and do not turn up, it then it soon becomes a loss making event.

To be honest, I think it would make very little difference.
  • Like 2

I've always said, it doesn't matter how cheap something is, if you don't enjoy it. I know that it can be expensive these days, but people will be more inclined to go if they are being entertained. Improving the product is more important than reducing the admission.

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Problem is a lot of promoters don't get the drink and hot dog money mate. There income cones through the gate so it's a tricky one. I come back to the UK 2times a year and try to watch a bit but to be honest it's not great value for money no more

Its not solely about reduced admission, maybe promoters could have graded entrance costs, ie £16 versus Poole, and £12 versus BV, for Me £10 for PL and £12 for EL is the going rate for the current product, but also the product needs to be improved, and ALL kids under 15, should be free, they are Speedways future, and as someone else has said, usually only the gate money goes to the Speedway, apart from maybe The Car Parking charges.

Sorry but league speedway is too expensive ,especially a family with kids. Had to make a financial decision last wkd speedway at somerset or bristol rovers ,under 16s at rovers got in for a £1.

• Like 1

cinemas in the late 70s used price cuts as a way of getting people back

theres been a boom ever since

and most films are rubbish

however price cuts can only work if the costs to promoters are lessened

there are ways of doing that of course but the will doesnt seem to be there

it all needs leadership and thats the problem

It not so much the price to expensive if you live so close but for some fans / people travel 120+ miles to see a speedway match and that might be there nearest track. Last night i wanted to go to swindon to see they race. I think the match would of been great for the price but its not just the price i have to think about. It getting there ie fuel then car parking fee, programme and may be a hot drink. I live just over 140 mile round trip and to do this would cost me nearly £40 - £50 for the night. The thing is Swindon is the 2nd or 3rd EL track near me so its not so much the price getting in but the travel and everything else that goes with it. If reading was still racing and i know that might be plans for them to come back then i would attend there more as this is not far for me and would pay the full amount week in week out.

• Like 1

Reducing admission didn't seem to work at Swindon last night.Being on telly didn't help either.

Promotions need a planned approach to 'promote' their special offers on a regular basis - not just announce a '£5 off' admission a few days before the meeting on speedway websites! To be factual, Swindon only did that because the crowd was so low the previous week! Patch was probably very worried he wouldn't have enough to pay Peterborough/Glasgow!! :wink: I don't agree with 'staggered' pricing, as what appears a less attractive fixture on paper often turns out the opposite, but a different 'special offer' every week, promoted to non-regulars/schools/colleges/clubs etc etc would help.

• Like 2

The problem for promoters with this is that cutting prices in half means that you would need to double your attendance to make the same amount of income. And that just wouldn't happen.

Is it overpriced as compared to the alternative forms of entertainment? I pay £20 on average to watch Leeds United at Elland Road, £15 to watch as many films as possible every month and £10 to £15 to watch university theatre in Cambridge or £17 to watch Elite League Speedway. Apart from when I go to Peterborough (which is about 200 yards away) the cost of running the car is generally more that the cost of the entrance ticket.

To me the issue is costs primarily the riders wages, so you have to do something to bring these down if ever you are going to bring admission prices down.

The problem for promoters with this is that cutting prices in half means that you would need to double your attendance to make the same amount of income. And that just wouldn't happen.

Is it overpriced as compared to the alternative forms of entertainment? I pay £20 on average to watch Leeds United at Elland Road, £15 to watch as many films as possible every month and £10 to £15 to watch university theatre in Cambridge or £17 to watch Elite League Speedway. Apart from when I go to Peterborough (which is about 200 yards away) the cost of running the car is generally more that the cost of the entrance ticket.

To me the issue is costs primarily the riders wages, so you have to do something to bring these down if ever you are going to bring admission prices down.

.................... and there's the rub. The Riders aren't going to take too kindly to that.

.................... and there's the rub. The Riders aren't going to take too kindly to that.

To make a living riders can't afford to do that.

The problem is, every promoters excuse is riders wages. To be quite frank, that is absolute garbage and lazy promoting to make comments like that.

The sport can improve & become cheaper but it has to be done by the BSPA.

The first job is to get rid of GoSpeed. Employ somebody to go out there and market British Speedway as a whole, not individual teams. Get out there & ask, ask again, ask again, ask again, ask again, ask again, ask again, ask again, ask again & ask again. Somebody will sponsor speedway.

The Redbull Elite League

The EasyJet Premier League

Energy drinks & Aviation is the main route I'd start with. 1000's of flights taken per season by riders, these guys could easily create good business for these airlines.

The point is the BSPA overall are responsible for saving speedway and not individual clubs & riders cutting there wages. Get a major sponsorship and people will come. It's how things work these days. Today people are sucked in & follow brands even if the product is garbage. Just blind the public with razzle dazzle and they'll want a bit of it.

Edited by screamer
  • Like 6

To make a living riders can't afford to do that.

The problem is, every promoters excuse is riders wages. To be quite frank, that is absolute garbage and lazy promoting to make comments like that.

The sport can improve & become cheaper but it has to be done by the BSPA.

The first job is to get rid of GoSpeed. Employ somebody to go out there and market British Speedway as a whole, not individual teams. Get out there & ask, ask again, ask again, ask again, ask again, ask again, ask again, ask again, ask again & ask again. Somebody will sponsor speedway.

The Redbull Elite League

The EasyJet Premier League

Energy drinks & Aviation is the main route I'd start with. 1000's of flights taken per season by riders, these guys could easily create good business for these airlines.

The point is the BSPA overall are responsible for saving speedway and not individual clubs & riders cutting there wages. Get a major sponsorship and people will come. It's how things work these days. Today people are sucked in & follow brands even if the product is garbage. Just blind the public with razzle dazzle and they'll want a bit of it.

you are 100% correct....

look at the crowds at the darts comps...

great hype and promotion from barry hearn has taken the sport to a new level, simply the sport hasnt changed but the way it is sold has...

speedway truly is the ultimate extreme sport, with many participants 18 - 25, therefore it should be followed manically by the 'monster/red bull' generation yet the stadiums are still 'full' of 40+ somethings. with hardly a teenager in sight...

not down to the sport that, simply to its marketing...

• Like 1

you're right about darts but its one competition in one city - then on to the next - its not in the same place weekly

marketing properly is probably the only way if price reduction is not realistic

i've said it before but give people free tickets in return for their contact details and market to them - short term cost but long term benefit