British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
screm

Berwick V Redcar Koc 13 Apr @ 7pm

Many fans in the PL giving teams/riders stick this early in the season, PL has not even started yet, some people need to get real...........but they will not. :oops::neutral:

Bit of a surprise score given both teams form over the opening weeks of the season.

Many fans in the PL giving teams/riders stick this early in the season, PL has not even started yet, some people need to get real...........but they will not. :oops::neutral:

If there are no crowds to watch the PL season what will happen.
  • Like 1

Gosh, did not see that one coming! Could not make it for this meeting but expected an easy home win. I saw Dyer at Sheffield last season and he was superb. Now I dont know the reason for him not rejoining Berwick but his performance tonight will haunt them. Maybe Edbergs accidents over the past few years has caught up with him, sad to say?

Edited by Catch Me If You Can
  • Like 1

I think this is just one of those meetings that are best moved on from.

We were not at the races, and Redcar were. Our lads will be doubly up for Thursday though.

I wonder how much of an effect silencer design has on going round the outside in the dirt at Shielfield?

It was a discussion a few of us were having tonight, the engines seem to die when they hit any kind of dirt: just a question, more than anything else.

Also, as Fromafar has mentioned many times, the bikes a so fast that if a half decent rider gets out in from, you have to be rocket powered to even have a chance of catching, never mind passing.

It would be interesting for stats person to count the number of genuine passes at every PL meeting and find out what tracks are the most inviting.

Then look at if it is applicable to every other track.

Oh, well done to the Bears!

Don't think it has anything to do with silencers the track is inconstant infact you could say it is still being set up for Lee Complin as he would have filled his boots last night, head down wind it on head for the boards but there are few riders with Lee's ball's. Motorway on the inside line and deep( to deep in places) on the outside.

We have a team of racers not gater's and I have said right from the start we will perform better away from home than at home.

Change the track speak to the riders ask them how they want it home track advantage? What's the problem with that it wins you the league ask Matty!

• Like 2

I am by no means an expert in track preparation, but I think it is plain to see that it is not in the best of shape at the moment.

After the 1st and 2nd bends, the riders settle in and generally follow each other round for three and a half laps. Overtaking has been at a premium not only at the start of this year but also the end of last year. And no amount of smoke machines, quality burgers or updated music can disguise the fact that the track at Shielfield does not lend itself well to "racing".

Tonight in isolation after the 1st and 2nd bend I think there were two passes (please correct me of I am wrong). Again, purely observational but the riders were trying to make moves but for whatever reason as soon as they left our only racing line, they would get stuck out wide, lose speed with it any chance of making a pass.

I absolutely applaud and support the promotion in all the changes they are making. But without a good racetrack, then it could all end up in vain as there will be fans who decide against coming back.

Am I wide of the mark or does the problems lie with the team as opposed to the track?

You can have as many pirotechnics as you like that light up the Berwick skyline,you can have the sexiest ladies with the skimpiest outfits jiggling their bits to the latest tune from one of the trendy new boy bands,you can have the latest and greatest in hardware software or menswear.

At the end of the day its all about what happens out on track,and if the paying public see races being all but over after one lap,and from the gate racing they will vote with their feet.

• Like 1

If it was my club the only question that I would be asking the Promotion how much or did the fact that Alex Edberg Dad promising to buy the clubs race suits (very nice race suits) sway them to maybe go with Alex rather than Micky.

Genuinely, you would ask that to a person? Wow.....

There are some utterly mental comments made on this forum, but that is a stand out

What was wrong with kozza last night :(

Like the rest of the Bandits, struggling to get out the gate. Alden was different class last night. Berwick were taught a gating lesson from Redcar who deserved their win with their top 6 all contributing Mickey Dyer being their topman.

Some battling efforts from Berwick but it was on this occasion too much to do on a track that was not ideal for passing. 8pts from 2 heat leaders, must do better

• Like 4

You can have as many pirotechnics as you like that light up the Berwick skyline,you can have the sexiest ladies with the skimpiest outfits jiggling their bits to the latest tune from one of the trendy new boy bands,you can have the latest and greatest in hardware software or menswear.

At the end of the day its all about what happens out on track,and if the paying public see races being all but over after one lap,and from the gate racing they will vote with their feet.

how true wots happened you going to speedway every week did not see you last night

Genuinely, you would ask that to a person? Wow.....

There are some utterly mental comments made on this forum, but that is a stand out

Anyone who knows anything about speedway could see that Dyer is in a different league to Edberg, there is no comparison. Major own goal letting him go for what was rumoured to be not much more than Edberg was asking for.

• Like 2

Anyone who knows anything about speedway could see that Dyer is in a different league to Edberg, there is no comparison. Major own goal letting him go for what was rumoured to be not much more than Edberg was asking for.

"Rumour" being the key....

Could also factor in asset, countered by a loan fee, cost of getting Dyer over etc...

Edberg has performed well this season, already beat guys like Pijper and Ostergaard around Berwick.

Plenty clubs slipped up by not signing Dyer, other riders must have had suits closer to the clubs coulours... I mean that's clearly the only logical explanation....

Come on guys, Alex is a good lad, a great club man. It doesnt really matter whether hes any good or not because hes popular with the fans and his dad paid for the race suits. Pretty much irrelevent what he does on the track, I'm sure he'll be a permanent in the team this season. Go Alex.

Could also factor in asset, countered by a loan fee, cost of getting Dyer over etc...

Edberg has performed well this season, already beat guys like Pijper and Ostergaard around Berwick.

Plenty clubs slipped up by not signing Dyer, other riders must have had suits closer to the clubs coulours... I mean that's clearly the only logical explanation....

Your right hes been flying this season, just about won us the match at Glasgow with his invaluable contribution.

Could well be that the loan fee was the difference between choosing Edberg over Dyer.

But for the record in my preview thread I did question the validity of choosing Edberg over Dyer.

Berwick

Gone with a very solid looking side, with Ricky Ashworth leading the side this season, the other two heatleaders are Crazy Kozza Smith and Robin Aspegren.

Thoughts on those three, I hope that curse does not hit Ricky of the ex Sheffield rider 2nd season away from Sheffield like it did with Andre Compton and Ben Wilson. Kozza is coming back from a season out and I think may struggle a bit with the role of 2nd heatleader. Of the the three I think that Aspegren could be the one that could go on to better things, and I think that he may push Ricky for the top slot.

The 2nd strings are where I think that Berwick are particularly strong Matt Wethers seems to score decent points everywhere and Bellego is a talent and will go on to better things if he can sort out his engines.

The reserves were a surprise as I thought Berwick would have gone with Micky Dyer, but they have gone with the very injury prone Alex Edberg and the Dane Nicki Barrett. Both probably capable of putting something on their average, but can young Edberg stay injury free.

Berwicks chances next season, I would say at best just outside the play offs, at worse mid table. I thin they will be an entertaining team though.

Key Rider; Kozza Smith