British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
graz gp

Sheffield V Workington 18/ 04/2013@ 7.45pm

Must have been a fantastic meeting to watch if you were a Sheffield Fan!!!

It was a fantastic meeting no matter who you are a fan of!!! . Take it that you were just on the updates then......

As regards to the tractor racing. Why they persist with the 'whirly thing' I don't know.... All it does is smooth the track and does not grade the shale back inside. Enter steady's request to the tractors driver to being dirt back to the inside line. Bring back the old type grader.

I hope it's as good for the Tigers on Saturday night. Steady, Hall, Wells, and Frank should go well on Saturday.

Haha, you are such an ar** mr fire 😀

I agree
  • Like 3

What a fantastic end to the meeting. The Racing from heat 9 onwards was top drawer the outside line clearly working for those who dare stick there back wheel in it.

Workington gave Sheffield a gating masterclass to start with and thats how it was for the first 8 heats. Give both teams credit where credits due we go for the racing and close meetings and it turned out to be a cracker. Tigers will be over the moon with 2 points given where they were early on and in the end Comets will be gutted but still get a point.

Steady - finally the class No.1 we needed. Ht.13 simply stunning came from miles back 3rd bend lap 2 to lead bend 2 lap 3 and won by quarter a lap. How he flew round Lawson then switch to inside so quick to fly under Bach was unbelievable.

Facu - Quickly becoming a fan favourite, gives his all every lap and what bike control he has. More to come.

Haines - was worried after his first 2 races, miles behind then come Ht.9 to pass Bach round the outside and then look fast will only give the lad confidence. Joe will be ok he started slow last year, very much a confidence rider.

Hall - quite subdued by his standards until Ht.15!! WOW - i really thought he would have to gate as he wasn't that quick all night and Howarth looking much quicker all over his back wheel in Ht.14.. Where did that come from? Similar to Steady in ht.13 came from miles back to wind it on rounded Lawson bend 2 lap 2 to dive up the inside bend 3 on Howarth. He badly wanted that and fair play to him he has looked much better this season and happier.

Wells - i think he rode better than his score suggests. He started riding the outside line with success passing Aarnio well. Not spectacular but he will always get the points Home and Away.

Koppe - very worried about him. I am all for giving lads time and opportunity but been watching speedway long enough to realise he will not improve to the required level. He just looks like a novice and awkward. I hate been critical of a rider but if Sheffield have any ambitions of the play offs they need to act soon before its too late. Cannot carry a 5 point rider to this extent. Especially when there's the likes of Sedgemen, Sanchez off top of my head who could fit straight in and facu drop to reserve.

Knight - i like him, a real trier and will get better and better. His last 2 rides third places won us the meeting for me as they were more unexpected. Fantastic pass last lap in Ht.12. Keep it up jake.

For comets, Lawson started brightly and fast, but tailed off badly once the track improved, Aarnio looked ok same for Harrison.

Howarth was easily the fastest rider for comets and very impressive, how wide did he go? thought he was going to bin it every lap, great control. Bach was poor to the 1 i have seen before at Owlerton, looked slow suprisingly, Mills was good when gate and go then tailed off badly similar to Lawson. Morris did nothing after heat 2 win. They will be ok though and should be in playoffs quite easily.

Great night again already looking forward to Workington Saturday although i think it will be 3 points to Comets. Will be worth going to watch Steady alone. I remember how he rode there before and if he is anything like that im sure all fans will be in for a treat.

Obviously fixerman & worky boy were not at sheff tonight just sitting behind updates screen !!! Rusty had sore ribs and leg after his fall and rene probs with his seat on his bike, Sheff 47 worky 46 and the tractor 57 , our lads rode their socks off everyone of them and deserved more than a point but hey there won't be many teams that take that from sheff ! After heat 8 when stead spat his dummy out and coached the tractors round for the other 7 heats we were nailed on for all points, we still took a point a they only scraped it by 1 , think hoggy's predictions about sat could be way off the mark , they won't take a bloody thing from Worky , lets hope our tractor puts in as much performance as Sheffield's did tonight , put strictly come dancing to shame !!!! Man of the match , step forward the tractor man

cant be as bad as what tattum was at stoke when they were getting beat, done more laps than a formula one race

• Like 1

Brilliant meeting,fantastic result. 14 points down after heat 5 looked like a massacre was on the cards.Most teams benefit from the tac ride in comebacks but we did it the hard way.Track suited the comets early on when it was gaters paradise but when the track dried out and turned into a racers track we were treat to some fantastic racing.Jake has impressed me,two brilliant hard earned points that made all the difference.Steady was back to his best,Facu was his usual exciting self,Joe and Ricky had their moments and Hally was awesome in heat 15.Koppe is a problem at the moment,how long can we carry him ? I thought he would be on the pace by now and feel for the lad,but his confidence cant be very high at the moment.Would Taylor Poole be a good replacement ? Personally, knowing our management team the cheaper option would be sanchez !!!! Facu could then drop to reserve !!!! How strong would that make us ? Well done to both track staff and all 14 riders .Cracking meeting.Hope its as good at workington tomorrow.

You did get 3 extra points from your second tac ride without which you would have lost.

Super Simon Stead, is he like a man possessed or what so far this season!!!!!!

He's been fantastic for us Stars, what he like for you guys to watch. Mr Easy or Mr Entertainment???

agree we must replace koppe now he will never settle at sheffield and what a team we would be if we could get 7 riders to score we are wasteing 5 points ameetting with koppe

You did get 3 extra points from your second tac ride without which you would have lost.

Hooray for artificial joker points :(

Awful, detestable rule.

Speedway is supposedly a sport, not It's A Knockout.

agree we must replace Koppe now he will never settle at Sheffield and what a team we would be if we could get 7 riders to score we are wasting 5 points a meeting with Koppe

Only if you can find someone who can score 5 points a meeting ...

Only one winner last night and that was speedway, what a great advert for the sport ( Sky you missed a cracker). Well done to all 14 riders. From a Sheffield prospective Steady was outstanding and his 3rd to 1st pass in heat 13 was brilliant. As for the Comets the team spirit was evident throughout and as an added bonus for us it was good to see Kyle back to his best.

If this type of entertainment was served up at speedway meetings every week then the sport would very quickly emerge from the doldrums.

• Like 7

Have to agree on tractor comments, it was the same for both teams, both of which had riders caught out when they ventured into the deep stuff on the outside, grading left a lot to be desired,track was way too deep on outside, particularly on 1st and 2nd bends, and the spinner only breaks up the surface, it needed the angled grader to bring the muck to the inside, not rocket science, just good management.

I'd replace Koppe with Sanchez, with Albin in the team I feel they would bounce off each other with healthy competition between them.

I'm not a fan of the tactical rule being permitted for the home team, doesn't seem right that an away side can score 46 legitimate points and still lose. And that's nothing against Sheffield, I'd say exactly the same if it was Lynn in their shoes.

• Like 6

Hooray for artificial joker points :(

Awful, detestable rule.

Speedway is supposedly a sport, not It's A Knockout.

Only if you can find someone who can score 5 points a meeting ...

No more ludicrous than a Tac Sub, replacing the apparently woeful Koppe with, say, Simon Stead in a heat.

It's still a waste of 5 points, even if Koppe was replace with a rider who didn't score 5 a meeting.

• Like 1

No more ludicrous than a Tac Sub, replacing the apparently woeful Koppe with, say, Simon Stead in a heat.

Quite.

And would the end of meeting have been as exciting without Stead's tactical 3 pointer ?

Almost certainly not.