British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Belle Vue Aces Vs Poole Pirates 29/4/2013

...As I said before unless your found guilty of what you said it means nothing...
...Of course it might of happened but it's only a might ...but unless you found guilty ...

"Honour amongst thieves" is the best explanation of that conundrum.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, B Vue have admitted to calling the meeting off when perhaps they could of got it on, nothing else. Lets see what the SCB uncover, if anything then as I said earlier if we cheated we need to man up and accept the consequences.

Are you for real? " When perhaps they could have got it on" :D:rofl:

Confessed?

The way I read it is that they panicked after discovering the "leak" and postponed. They will admit to acting in haste, but on reflection made the wrong call.

I'm sure they will admit to making a genuine mistake.

All the other elements that point to skulduggery are purely coincidental.

It's speedway and a complete circus, never been any different.

The way I read it "we've been silly billies, been caught out, humble apologies, please go easy on us" :wink:

• Like 2

Credit to Graham Reeve of the SCB for initiating a rapid & apparently effective investigation into this escapade.

IMO if it had not been for this official intervention, the BV Promotion would never have issued their apology.

This sends out a message to others that the SCB will be more proactive in establishing the facts behind any future questionable cancellations.

• Like 6

Credit to Graham Reeve of the SCB for initiating a rapid & apparently effective investigation into this escapade.

IMO if it had not been for this official intervention, the BV Promotion would never have issued their apology.

This sends out a message to others that the SCB will be more proactive in establishing the facts behind any future questionable cancellations.

I hope that they send out an independent representative to ALL called off meetings when there is any question of reasons other than the weather.

• Like 4

I hope that they send out an independent representative to ALL called off meetings when there is any question of reasons other than the weather.

How about a webcam at each venue?

Given today's statement from Belle Vue admitting an "error of judgement" made in the "heat of the moment", how do you think the average council tax payer of Manchester is going to feel about letting those same folk be the ones responsible for starting to pay back over £4million during the initial 60 years of use of the new stadium - you wouldn't let the current regime run a bath, never mind a multi-million pound project !!

...........seemed ok with a hose

..............is there enough spare referees to make this achievable?

I see UKM continues to talk bull-locks about the kings Lynn v birmingham fixture in 2009 (get over yourself man, 5 days my ass) but anyway I feel the facts have to be mentioned. The failure happened during a stockcar meeting on a bank holiday sunday weekend which continued throughout. It was assessed on the Monday and couldn't be fixed until the following Monday due to obsolete power supply. Bare in mind, the floodlights at kings Lynn are the old hackney speedway setup. Understandably birmingham kicked up a fuss (both clubs really fell out over this) and an SCB official was sent to investigate & kings Lynn where cleared of any wrong doing. + we had a far superior side than Birmingham in 09 :lol:

Below was on the BSPA website

http://ip133.216-86-156.static.steadfastdns.net/news.php?extend.4862

I suppose I am one of the keyboard warriors hyderd is talking about. But as I went up to BV on a fine Manchester evening, to walk across the the road to the stadium to find it in total lock down, even the local rats could not get in, and only an A4 piece of paper saying "speedway off" would I think Pee you off.

Then to find out later that two riders had missed their flights and one was out injured, does make it a little suspicious. What Pirate Baz said is completely true ,(post 209) as we were there together with our wives. As he stated 525 miles worth of fuel plus hotel and meals, does grate a bit IF the reason for calling it off was not genuine. At least I suppose we saved on the admission.

PM sent.

LET’S take a step back for a moment and examine what we can for the sake of argument call a hypothetical situation.

Team A discovers on Monday morning that they will be without three of their seven riders for a meeting later that day through no fault of their own.

One rider is injured while employees of the airline they are using to return from Poland delay their top two en route due to a strike.

The rules do not allow any facilities for the missing riders. They would have to go into action with a seriously weakened team for what is probably their plum fixture of the year and the one their own fans are most looking forward to.

League speedway, while a team sport, is essentially an individual contest (like cricket) but there are no reserve riders of similar standards waiting in the wings to come in.

What is the lesser of two evils? Call the opposing team and agree that in the best interests of the sport and the fans the meeting is postponed. There are plenty of free dates available.

Or go ahead with the meeting, which will be a non-contest and one that will undoubtedly not provide any value for money for those who do turn up and pay at the turnstiles.

The former option is not one that is currently available to the BSPA to sanction but should it be?

Is it better under exceptional circumstances that are outside the control of the home promotion – or indeed the away team – to call off a meeting rather than deprive the fans of a true contest?

Of course, such a decision would require the agreement of both teams and be made in plenty of time to inform the fans that the scheduled meeting had been postponed.

• Like 2

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, B Vue have admitted to calling the meeting off when perhaps they could of got it on, nothing else. Lets see what the SCB uncover, if anything then as I said earlier if we cheated we need to man up and accept the consequences.

So why wouldn't BV put out a CLEAR statement saying: it was a splash of water from a leaking pipe, we decided not to repair it and ultimately made the wrong decision? I guess that would be too simple, assuming it were true!

As for the consequences (assuming BV have done wrong) most will damage the sport and/or the fans - the best result from this would be an Independent Body to run the sport!

LET’S take a step back for a moment and examine what we can for the sake of argument call a hypothetical situation.

Team A discovers on Monday morning that they will be without three of their seven riders for a meeting later that day through no fault of their own.

One rider is injured while employees of the airline they are using to return from Poland delay their top two en route due to a strike.

The rules do not allow any facilities for the missing riders. They would have to go into action with a seriously weakened team for what is probably their plum fixture of the year and the one their own fans are most looking forward to.

League speedway, while a team sport, is essentially an individual contest (like cricket) but there are no reserve riders of similar standards waiting in the wings to come in.

What is the lesser of two evils? Call the opposing team and agree that in the best interests of the sport and the fans the meeting is postponed. There are plenty of free dates available.

Or go ahead with the meeting, which will be a non-contest and one that will undoubtedly not provide any value for money for those who do turn up and pay at the turnstiles.

The former option is not one that is currently available to the BSPA to sanction but should it be?

Is it better under exceptional circumstances that are outside the control of the home promotion – or indeed the away team – to call off a meeting rather than deprive the fans of a true contest?

Of course, such a decision would require the agreement of both teams and be made in plenty of time to inform the fans that the scheduled meeting had been postponed.

But a burst water pipe is! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

THEY have made a statement to the effect that they made the wrong decision for the right (as they see it) reason ...

Your last paragraph says it all Phil, the agreement of both teams (if teams think they can gain a serious advantage common sense fair play goes out of the window straight away, do you really think Ford would have waived the chance of an easy away win) and secondly when are fans ever giving any thought.

Depriving fans of a true contest should be the first consideration but as lasts night match at Kings Lynn showed the powers at be don't give a damn, and unfortunately in recent times the fans are catching on and voting with their feet.

• Like 2

PM sent.

That's what the sport needs - send the Prime Minister to get it sorted and get some valuable national publicity too!! :D

• Like 1