British Speedway Forum

Stick Nermark in....that'd sort em out in the first turn :D

Edited by Bagpuss

Stick Nermark in....that'd sort em out in the first turn :D

Claus Vissing!! :lol:

How about Adrian Miedzinski as a wild card , after all he won as many Grand Prix's as Tai Woofinden did this season

I would agree with that, along with Holder, Gollob and MJJ. All riders that can win a GP, instead of the token Swede that wont even get close. Don't need a token gesture in the line up, we have Smolinkski already.. ;)

I would agree with that, along with Holder, Gollob and MJJ. All riders that can win a GP, instead of the token Swede that wont even get close. Don't need a token gesture in the line up, we have Smolinkski already.. ;)

MJJ and Miedzinski won gp's in their home country not sure they would do anything anywhere else. I remember Gerd Riss making gp finals in Germany.

Put a gp at Edinburgh and im sure Cookie would do well.

You say about token riders but to be fair most people thought that of Tai and to a lesser extent Iversen and look what happened there!

It needn't BE the best line up. It should be for those who have fought their way in to the GP. That is what Sport is about - not giving Riders a place for the fun of it. OF COURSE picking the BEST Riders gives you the best line up - I have never said that it doesn't. I always believed and STILL believe that in Sport you strive to be the very best that you can be by matching yourself against those with, sometimes, superior ability. Now and again, and yes - Woofinden is a case in point here - someone will win against all odds against the Giants of the Sport. My WHOLE argument is that EVERYBODY deserves a chance to upset the odds, not just the selected few. To those who say that the old World Finals had a certain amount of selection about them too - you are correct - BUT - I stick to my position - THAT was not RIGHT either.

All I want from Speedway is a level Playing Field for ALL.

I DON'T SEE WHAT IS SO VERY WRONG ABOUT THAT - AND NEVER WILL!!!

You are right Niamh - I don't. Places in the GP should be earned NOT given on grounds of good business, nationality, BSI Favourites or for any other reason than that they have EARNED their right to be there.

If I had my way - at the end on one GP year the World Champion would be proclaimed - that would be the end of it. The following Season ALL Riders would start from scratch INCLUDING THE TOP EIGHT!!

THEN WE COULD TRULY CALL SPEEDWAY A SPORT!!!

TWK, it's a complex situation on a few fronts... right at the lowest level of qualifying such as regional, county, state and national championships going back to the early days there has never been level playing fields as with many events only allowing 16 competitors, some were not allowed in or 'chosen' so is that fair?.

"Truly call speedway a sport"......... what about tennis or golf, I think sometimes their top players are seeded into world events and you'd get a few arguments saying they are not sport.

It could be said that the Wildcards have earned their place by performance on the world stage, if not via the formal qualifying put in place.

I think they have the mix about right, although top six might allow 2 more qualifiers.

MJJ and Miedzinski won gp's in their home country not sure they would do anything anywhere else. I remember Gerd Riss making gp finals in Germany.

Put a gp at Edinburgh and im sure Cookie would do well.

You say about token riders but to be fair most people thought that of Tai and to a lesser extent Iversen and look what happened there!

I never doubted NKI who was not a wildcard pick, and Tai was an improver. MJJ is class, he could win anywhere...

I never doubted NKI who was not a wildcard pick, and Tai was an improver. MJJ is class, he could win anywhere...

dont agree with you on that. he has failed miserably to even get close to the series. just because he is young doesnt guarantee the right to be in it. Yes he won once but Zmarlik got to a final last year should he be in it?

Dont agree with the 'have to have a swede' thinking but i think it will happen.

Last place in my eyes should be Laguta

Which GP did Riss make a final? In fact, I'll be nice and say make the top 10, in fact, top 15!

Which GP did Riss make a final? In fact, I'll be nice and say make the top 10, in fact, top 15!

He actually did make the final in Abensberg in 1995 believe it or not and finished 7th in Pocking a year later

"Truly call speedway a sport"......... what about tennis or golf, I think sometimes their top players are seeded into world events and you'd get a few arguments saying they are not sport.

The players that automatically get berths in events in these sports generally do so on merit. They have to earn ranking points by playing in a number of competitions over the course of a season, and are not just arbitrarily selected by the event organisers.

There are a few wildcard places in each event for local interest, but they're one-offs rather than season-long selections. Golf does have exemption from qualifying for former champions etc.. as well, but again these are earned rather than granted.

The SGP line-up should be selected on some sort of ranking criteria based around rider performances in various leagues and other competitions. You might not actually get a better line-up, but it would be more credible from sporting perspective.

• Like 1

The players that automatically get berths in events in these sports generally do so on merit. They have to earn ranking points by playing in a number of competitions over the course of a season, and are not just arbitrarily selected by the event organisers.

There are a few wildcard places in each event for local interest, but they're one-offs rather than season-long selections. Golf does have exemption from qualifying for former champions etc.. as well, but again these are earned rather than granted.

The SGP line-up should be selected on some sort of ranking criteria based around rider performances in various leagues and other competitions. You might not actually get a better line-up, but it would be more credible from sporting perspective.

Well said Humphrey. Not ideal but far better than the current System. :t::approve: :approve:

It seems you have forgotten already about Nicholls & Harris...

• Like 1