British Speedway Forum

Well said Humphrey. Not ideal but far better than the current System. :t::approve: :approve:

Even though "You might not actually get a better line-up", but then you don't actually want the best riders in the GP series.

Niamh

It seems you have forgotten already about Nicholls & Harris...

Not forgotten that at all. I don't remember ever saying they were competitive selections, maybe you can remind me when I did...

According to http://www.speedwayn...ar-wild-card-2/

Andreas Jonsson, Tomasz Gollob, Chris Holder and Grigoruj Laguta have been offered wild cards for 2014.

However Gorgorij have asked for some more time to decide if he wants it or not.

I am confident in saying Freddie will get a Wild Card nomination by Sweden ....... even as a Wolves and Freddie fan I can understand everyone saying he shouldn't be given it after a poor 2013 season in the GP's and to finish with a very poor 2 points in Torun.

However I have heard the views of some people who may have a say in who is selected as Wild Cards and that's why I think Freddie will be given the Swedish spot ...... rightly or wrongly !

No one should question Holder and Gollob getting them really so it's the final two nominations that are really up for discussion and with Freddie (most likely) to get one then it's the final place that will be up to who gets the nod

Andreas Jonsson, Tomasz Gollob, Chris Holder and Grigoruj Laguta have been offered wild cards for 2014.

So no WC for slow Freddie then?

TNT in utter garbage shocker...

Edited by Blazeaway
  • Like 1

To be fair, Speedway Star this week said "It is unthinkable that the GP series would not be staged without a Swedish representative and, after finishing 11th in the standings, Freddie Lindgren has to be the man for the job"

Suppose they took into account AJ missing a couple of rounds.

And those were the 4 i mentioned a while back.

Holder Gollob and Laguta were obvious just a toss up between Jonsson and Lindgren

Really hope Laguta does accept love to watch him ride

Me too

Me too

• Like 1

Me too

Me too

Does he like doing re-runs. :wink::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The players that automatically get berths in events in these sports generally do so on merit. They have to earn ranking points by playing in a number of competitions over the course of a season, and are not just arbitrarily selected by the event organisers.

There are a few wildcard places in each event for local interest, but they're one-offs rather than season-long selections. Golf does have exemption from qualifying for former champions etc.. as well, but again these are earned rather than granted.

The SGP line-up should be selected on some sort of ranking criteria based around rider performances in various leagues and other competitions. You might not actually get a better line-up, but it would be more credible from sporting perspective.

tbf , the riders they have selected are the best three in the world not already qualified (according to my ranking system anyway) plus the token swede .

Id be against a pure ranking system method though purely because past performance is not the only guide to future performance and such a system may inhibit rising talent from joining the series.

Another Gp series without a British rider then

Another Gp series without a British rider then

Putting aside your argument that Woffinden isn't British, I found this season so much easier to watch without a token Brit plodding around at the back, moaning away in every interview. Whether YOU think Tai is British or not, he chose to ride for us and as things stand, he's the only 'British' rider anywhere near good enough at this level. Although I thought he was just another Chris Harris/Freddie Lindgren, sponging off the organisers, this season he has proven me wrong in the best way possible, becoming World Champion. For that he gets my total respect.

• Like 1

The players that automatically get berths in events in these sports generally do so on merit. They have to earn ranking points by playing in a number of competitions over the course of a season, and are not just arbitrarily selected by the event organisers.

There are a few wildcard places in each event for local interest, but they're one-offs rather than season-long selections. Golf does have exemption from qualifying for former champions etc.. as well, but again these are earned rather than granted.

The SGP line-up should be selected on some sort of ranking criteria based around rider performances in various leagues and other competitions. You might not actually get a better line-up, but it would be more credible from sporting perspective.

Thanks Humphrey,

Your comments support the current system by verifying the wildcards earn their places in other sports also. Speedway wildcards may be selected by organisers but I haven't seen one yet that hasn't proven to have won races against current top form riders and therefore earned their place. It would not be in their interest to have Wildcards who are not up to standard & would consider the current form of these riders in all leagues and local competition in which they compete. Note that qualified riders often finish lower in the Grand Prix than the wildcards. Speedway has such diverse levels of entry into the Grand Prix it is impossible to have qualification that is viewed as fair to all by everyone.

"are not just arbitrarily selected by the event organisers"

I think at times 'stars' of golf are offered huge appearance fees to compete in major tournaments so sways towards selection.

Presumably there won't be any of the previous visa issues with Laguta for any of the GP rounds?!

It needn't BE the best line up. It should be for those who have fought their way in to the GP. That is what Sport is about - not giving Riders a place for the fun of it. OF COURSE picking the BEST Riders gives you the best line up - I have never said that it doesn't. I always believed and STILL believe that in Sport you strive to be the very best that you can be by matching yourself against those with, sometimes, superior ability. Now and again, and yes - Woofinden is a case in point here - someone will win against all odds against the Giants of the Sport. My WHOLE argument is that EVERYBODY deserves a chance to upset the odds, not just the selected few. To those who say that the old World Finals had a certain amount of selection about them too - you are correct - BUT - I stick to my position - THAT was not RIGHT either.

All I want from Speedway is a level Playing Field for ALL.

I DON'T SEE WHAT IS SO VERY WRONG ABOUT THAT - AND NEVER WILL!!!

You are right Niamh - I don't. Places in the GP should be earned NOT given on grounds of good business, nationality, BSI Favourites or for any other reason than that they have EARNED their right to be there.

If I had my way - at the end on one GP year the World Champion would be proclaimed - that would be the end of it. The following Season ALL Riders would start from scratch INCLUDING THE TOP EIGHT!!

THEN WE COULD TRULY CALL SPEEDWAY A SPORT!!!

Good post, totally agree!