British Speedway Forum

Surely Chris Harris cant get a wildcard pick for next year,its just plain wrong.

HE doesn't get a wild card pick. The next in line from the GP Challenge (Harris) will replace Gollob. That's the FIM rule...

Edited by PHILIPRISING

Gollob was a wild card pick so this means he has turned it down so surely they will pick another wild card

Gollob was a wild card pick so this means he has turned it down so surely they will pick another wild card

I really MUST take issue with this word. :mad::mad:

Is THIS what the World Championship has come down to?

Obviously it IS.

HE doesn't get a wild card pick. The next in line from the GP Challenge (Harris) will replace Gollob. That's the FIM rule...

is it the rule?

You are correct that SPGP rules state :

"...Should a rider or riders who have qualified directly, either by being in the top 8 of the Final Overall Grand Prix Classification or in the top 3 of the FIM Grand Prix qualification system or who qualified through both systems, withdraw prior to the start of the Grand Prix season, the first rider or riders available on the Official Grand Prix Qualified Substitute list shall replace him or them"

However, and this is what makes me not so sure about Harris being "in" is that Gollob's inclusion is not through direct qualification as covered by the above rule but by being nominated by BSI. So is there not the possibility that BSI will have the opportunity to nominate another rider?

Last year BSI tried to replace Jason Crump with Andreas Jonsson when crump announced his retirement. In that matter the FIM said "no" as Crump was a qualifier and Dryml was awarded the spot as first reserve as per the rule..but as I say, Gollob is not a qualifier. I cant find a rule about replacing nominated riders - is there one?

Edited by 1 valve

is it the rule?

You are correct that SPGP rules state :

"...Should a rider or riders who have qualified directly, either by being in the top 8 of the Final Overall Grand Prix Classification or in the top 3 of the FIM Grand Prix qualification system or who qualified through both systems, withdraw prior to the start of the Grand Prix season, the first rider or riders available on the Official Grand Prix Qualified Substitute list shall replace him or them"

Last year BSI tried to replace Jason Crump with Andreas Jonsson when crump announced his retirement. In that matter the FIM said "no" as Crump was a qualifier and Dryml was awarded the spot as first reserve as per the rule..but as I say, Gollob is not a qualifier. I cant find a rule about replacing nominated riders - is there one?

However, and this is what makes me not so sure about Harris being "in" is that Gollob's inclusion is not through direct qualification as covered by the above rule but by being nominated by BSI. So is there not the possibility that BSI will have the opportunity to nominate another rider?

HERE WE GO AGAIN!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::angry::angry:

Under rule 077.8.5 - FIM Speedway Grand Prix World Championship Qualification System you will find this rule:

"Should a rider withdraw after the publication of the official rider line-up for the following year's Grand Prix season, then the first rider available on the official Grand Prix Substitute List shall replace him."

Unless the FIM changes their rules for 2014, I think it's pretty clear that Harris is replacing Gollob.

Gollob is neither a top 8 rider of the 2013 SGP nor is he a top 3 Qualifier from the Challenge. He would have been a wild card entry, but obviously has turned down the SGP's invitation for 2014. This means that according to the rules, FIM/IMG/BSI or whoever makes this decision, can give a wildcard to whomever they want.

Harris certainly has no claim to be an automatic replacement for Gollob. But of course he could be picked as a permanent wild card to replace Gollob.

Fair enough if it is Harris then, but I don't think it will go down well with the Polish media, public and clubs. They only have Kasprzak and Hampel in the SGP now, and the Poles will surely want another Pole come in to replace Tomek.

Edited by Bavarian
  • Like 1

Gollob is neither a top 8 rider of the 2013 SGP nor is he a top 3 Qualifier from the Challenge. He would have been a wild card entry, but obviously has turned down the SGP's invitation for 2014. This means that according to the rules, FIM/IMG/BSI or whoever makes this decision, can give a wildcard to whomever they want.

Harris certainly has no claim to be an automatic replacement for Gollob. But of course he could be picked as a permanent wild card to replace Gollob.

Fair enough if it is Harris then, but I don't think it will go down well with the Polish media, public and clubs. They only have Kasprzak and Hampel in the SGP now, and the Poles will surely want another Pole come in to replace Tomek.

you are wrong in the sense that tg took the wildcard, rider lineup was announced (the deadline) and after that he said no more...

Who knows this could be bombers year!! Hope so

Me too - I just don't like the idea of 'picking' by BSI. :nono::mad: :mad:

well it looks like I'm going to have to backtrack on my non speedway plans next season now the main man looks set for a deserved return back to Gp speedway...

• Like 1

Me too - I just don't like the idea of 'picking' by BSI. :nono::mad: :mad:

He's the first reserve from the GP challenge not a pick

Niamh

He may well be the next in line,and I wish him the very best of luck,but he was consistantly hopeless in his last go at GP level and Ive seen very little since that would make me think it will be any different this time round.