British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Oldest Surviving World Finalists

2 hours ago, BL65 said:

The Wembley World Final programmes for 1950 and 1952 gave his age as 26 and 28 respectively, with the meetings taking place after his August birthday, suggesting he was born in 1924.

That's more what I was looking for. Programmes and info from back then are more likely to be accurate...

14 minutes ago, chunky said:

That's more what I was looking for. Programmes and info from back then are more likely to be accurate...

And yet if you check all the Programmes of the time I think they all have Knutson’s name wrong. In fact was it a speedway Programme editor that first printed the wrong name and it was forever copied ?

• Like 1

"Birmingham romped home in true holiday style at Perry Barr on Saturday with a 51-33 Division II League victory over Norwich.  It was announced on the track that Tamworth rider Arthur Payne - a 23-year-old Australian - has now been signed by Mr. Les Marshall, the Birmingham promoter."
Birmingham Daily Gazette, Monday, 17th May 1948

The local newspaper believed Arthur was born in 1924, according to their report.  The Control Board had previously refused to sanction the transfer of Arthur Payne from Tamworth to First Division Wimbledon as he was considered to be too inexperienced.

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

And yet if you check all the Programmes of the time I think they all have Knutson’s name wrong. In fact was it a speedway Programme editor that first printed the wrong name and it was forever copied ?

Oh, spellings are a TOTALLY different thing, and I don't think there was ANY track that didn't misspell a few names!

5 minutes ago, chunky said:

Oh, spellings are a TOTALLY different thing, and I don't think there was ANY track that didn't misspell a few names!

Yes, but funnily enough it is one of my bug bares that in a newspaper you see someone mentioned as being 23 and in the next report they are 24 or 22......but i guess speedway reports always get it right ;)

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Yes, but funnily enough it is one of my bug bares that in a newspaper you see someone mentioned as being 23 and in the next report they are 24 or 22......but i guess speedway reports always get it right ;)

Speedway riders are notorious for not giving their correct ages!

Ain't that the truth :t:

After reading all this I am sticking to 1924- if BL65  says that , well that's good enough for me. So there!!!

The man is still alive, so somebody could simply ask him or anyone close enough who has contact with Arthur Payne or his family.

I guess that Peter White is a reliabe enough source of speedway info Down Under and he gives August 28, 1923, as the date of birth for Arthur Payne.

See here  https://speedwaypast.com/stories/arthur-payne

OK here goes- I contacted Reg Fearman. Arthur does not use e-mail, but Reg took the trouble to contact Pam Warren ( ex-spouse of Graham Warren) , and also Peter White the Australian journalist and member of the Australian Speedway community and they both confirm Arthur is 99.. So it looks like he WAS indeed born in 1923. I will update his birthdate the next time we update the oldest World Finalist list. It's great speedway people are so helpful, particularly as some are getting up there in age. I was glad to see so many forumlanders wanted to ensure this was corrected

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

OK here goes- I contacted Reg Fearman. Arthur does not use e-mail, but Reg took the trouble to contact Pam Warren ( ex-spouse of Graham Warren) , and also Peter White the Australian journalist and member of the Australian Speedway community and they both confirm Arthur is 99.. So it looks like he WAS indeed born in 1923. I will update his birthdate the next time we update the oldest World Finalist list. It's great speedway people are so helpful, particularly as some are getting up there in age. I was glad to see so many forumlanders wanted to ensure this was corrected

Nice thing is that we had a way of confirming it!

• Like 1

You got that right Chunky-off topic but in 1965 did Wimbledon run on a Monday night or am I dreaming- I am sure West Ham ran on Tuesday( along with Long Eaton) and Hackney on Friday. I was working in Basildon -used to watch 'em all- would get the train from Laindon to Barking and then get on the underground. The best viewing for me was at West Ham. In 1965 was Oxford on Thursday- not sure- but certainly Sheffield was on a Thursday. Wonderful days-at that time just across the road from Barking Station was a Wimpy's  where I used to scarf food down. I always recall they had the ketchup  in a round container that looked like a Tomato-are Wimpy's still around or have they been defeated by McDonalds, Burger King etc etc

• Like 2

Wimbledon's might was always Monday back in the day.

Monday: Wimbledon

Tuesday: West Ham

Wednesday: New Cross

Thursday: Wembley

Friday: Harringay

Thanx Norbold when was Oxford and Norwich??