British Speedway Forum
bri1966

Who Should Be In Gb World Cup Team?

Well, after tonight's showing I think Worrall & Kennett will be / should be ruled out.

Sticking by my team of:-

1, Harris

2, Woffinden

3, Cook

4, Bridger

After tonight Harris should be ruled out!

After tonight Harris should be ruled out!

Kind of agree but Middlo (the prat) had already stated that him and Woffy guaranteed their places

Kind of agree but Middlo (the prat) had already stated that him and Woffy guaranteed their places

It pains me to say it but no, he shouldn't be in. Woffy, Cook, Worrall and Bridger. Build for the future. That 4 will still beat the Americans (bear in mind Wells is pants at the NA anyway) and are all averaging 7.5+ with bonus points in the EL in their last 6 meetings.

Just caught up with some recent Speedway Stars and even though Middlo has picked the squad 'on form' he has selected Howarth rather than Richard Lawson.

Dear me.

• Like 1

I genuinely think the Harris decision is out of Middlo's hands. BSI will insist Harris is included in the World Cup Squad, just as they insisted he was given the wildcard at Cardiff. After yet another mediocre showing in his latest piece of Grand Prix charity, and his calamitous exit from the GP qualifying round, the World Cup is the last opportunity for BSI to muster an excuse to give their favourite rider another series wild card in 2014. Unless Kennett fails to qualify and they have the audacity to give Harris the Wildcard for the GP Challenge, of course...

I actually wouldn't have a problem with including Harris in the team, but for his pathetic tantrum last season. "Unless you give me (yet) another GP wildcard in 2013, I'll jack in the World Cup."

JT.

After yet another mediocre showing in his latest piece of Grand Prix charity,

Well he's the best scoring wildcard in the first 1/2 of the GP season...

Niamh

Well he's the best scoring wildcard in the first 1/2 of the GP season...

Niamh

Yeah it's been a pretty crap year for wild cards so far.

JT.

BSI have nothing to do with any country's team selection. All this talk about him being their favourite rider is pathetic nonsense.

• Like 1

BSI have nothing to do with any country's team selection. All this talk about him being their favourite rider is pathetic nonsense.

No, you're right, Phil. All those wild card opportunities have nothing to do with favouritism, Harris got them all through merit…

Out of interest, IF Kennett fails to qualify and Harris inevitably picks up the Wild Card slot in the Grand Prix Challenge, will you still stand by your 'pathetic nonsense' statement above? Granted a rider may be given one, two, or even three golden opportunities in his career, but any more, and you've got to suspect a hint of bias, right?

Incidentally, Harris would be my second pick for the World Cup side. But I do find it odd that a rider who was so willing to give up riding for his country, if he didn't get a Wild Card, has been given the captaincy without any mention of last years tantrum.

JT.

• Like 2

BSI also have nothing to do with whoever gets wild card pick for GP Challenge. For all I know, or you, just as many if not more people agreed with Harris getting Cardiff wild card than not. He certainly got a huge reception at the Milllennium.

Chris is a frustrating enigma because there is no doubt he has huge ability, although not from the gate which is the root cause of many of his problems. But whatever he might be accused of, not caring about riding for GB is not one of them. As far as I know he has never actually informed Neil Middleditch (or Rob Lyon previously) that he wasn't prepared to race for his country.

He may have said something in the heat of the moment but I am sure it was just that. One thing you always get from Chris is 100 per cent effort even if that doesn't always translate into the points he or we would like to see.

• Like 1

BSI also have nothing to do with whoever gets wild card pick for GP Challenge. For all I know, or you, just as many if not more people agreed with Harris getting Cardiff wild card than not. He certainly got a huge reception at the Milllennium.

I'm not having that Phil. The place would have been rocking regardless of who had the GB flag on their chest.

You could throw Kelvin Tatum out there as Wildcard and the place would still be jumping.

Woffinden..Harris..Cook..King You have to pick the top 4 riders.

Woffinden..Harris..Cook..King You have to pick the top 4 riders.

KIng you are joking! Gate sometimes from behind not a hope! he has had his chance

my thoughts are, tai, worrall, bridger, barker

tai, speaks for himself,

worrall,esp at lynn rising talent not phased by anyone

bridger, this year really has sorted himself out a lot wont give him their vote due to previous antics/actions but i do believe he has shown enough to warrant it.

barker, again like worrall not phased is riding well at the moment against everyone and will give it his all

left out

cook, feels he is nearly there but if doesnt gate not always the most committed, as proved at cardiff

harris , sorry past it, should never have been w/c at cardiff, not the same guy i cheered on to win cardiff years ago, the past is the past

auty, like him in league racing but sorry not going to get any better and gating is shocking something he should have corrected by now

howarth, shouldnt be in the squad, lawson and birks at this time are way ahead of him but he will possibly get there in couple of years

kennett, earlier in season i would of put ed in but has gone off boil lately,

king, again like autyin league but never going to get any better

time to move froward, a bit like the danes have done, a lot wont give us much hope anyway so use it to blood some young guys like lewis and richie, cook just needs to harden up a bit and is there then, a lot of youngster (u25) that are showing promise for the future and imo it is a shame more of them are not being used in the gb / aus tests that are taking place.