British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

World Cup Race Off - 18th July 2013

Not sure why anyone thinks the BSPA care about how Team GB do in the SWC.

They are simply a group of businessmen/women who administer a sport to allow them to make the most profit they can. If the SWC resulted in them making extra profit they would perhaps finance the youngsters development thro test matches and tours etc. As it is, they don't make any extra so can see no merit in forking out for riders to gain experience. Why else didn't they not back Rob Lyon?

They use foreigners because they think they will win matches and therefore increase the number of fans thro the gate, they don't give a toss about British riders. That's very short sighted in my view as fans identify far more with a local lad.

Middlo is a safe bet for the BSPA, he doesn't rock the boat, makes the right noises when a mic is put under his nose and that's all the BSPA care about. When someone actually wants them to spend money or speaks out against the current non-system they turn the other way. I really can't see that changing.

I don't see why the BSPA should have (or want) the responsibility of the National team - whatever its called??! For most of them it doesn't do anything for their day-to-day speedway businesses either in the short or long term under current rules!! Maybe the ACU or this new 'Parliamentary Speedway Group' should take it under their wing, with separate management, development, training, sponsorship and funding!!?

Edited by Skidder1

So we need to put the kids in? Right.Do it next year and give the critics what they want. Barker used Harris's bike and was immediately quicker. Will the youngsters have the better machinery and who will pay for it? Has Harris got as much sponsorship now as he had when doing the GPs? Is that why he's now on the slide?

Middlo clearly refers to the need to gate. Fall behind and you're a dead duck. Harris now openly admits he's a poor gater - after all this time. So did he ever work on it? Tai has applied himself and is now reaping the benefits but even he was caught in the the wrong place at the wrong time on a couple of occasions - shut out on turn 2 - and no amount of speed could catch the rider in front on a track like that. I'll be recording it on Saturday so I should be able to knock it out in about an hour.

Slagging off our riders is all well and good but how many Czechs and Russians show up well over here? So bring on the Latvians. ;)

And tell us all what Tatum would do differently to what is being done now with the riders at Neils disposal??

Didnt to much for Scott when he brought him into the gp to try and turn his dire performaces round. Would be terrible choice

So we need to put the kids in? Right.Do it next year and give the critics what they want. Barker used Harris's bike and was immediately quicker. Will the youngsters have the better machinery and who will pay for it? Has Harris got as much sponsorship now as he had when doing the GPs? Is that why he's now on the slide?

Middlo clearly refers to the need to gate. Fall behind and you're a dead duck. Harris now openly admits he's a poor gater - after all this time. So did he ever work on it? Tai has applied himself and is now reaping the benefits but even he was caught in the the wrong place at the wrong time on a couple of occasions - shut out on turn 2 - and no amount of speed could catch the rider in front on a track like that. I'll be recording it on Saturday so I should be able to knock it out in about an hour.

Slagging off our riders is all well and good but how many Czechs and Russians show up well over here? So bring on the Latvians. ;)

Its not a forward step in their career for Foriegn riders to ride in UK these days ,but it would be for Brit to ride abroad.The off -track antics of of the Young Brits in recent years MIGHT tell us something though.

The BSPA are reaping what they sowed when they didn't let Rob carry out his long term vision unfortunately.

Not sure if he would come back with co promoting duties at Lynn but I'd be on the blower to him now. Next year people like Kennett, King and Barker should be nowhere near the squad.....get Cook and Worrall riding abroad every week and build the side around them with Tai and Bridger (not everyone's cup of tea I know but for me he has lots of natural ability and is still young enough). Have Lambert, Ellis, Howarth, Garrity, Birks, Kerr, Blackbird, Nielsen etc in and around the squad learning all the time......they won't all make the grade but give them the chance at least. Get Nicholls and Harris involved in some capacity, if they care about GB they'll buy into it. They have the experience and would be good coaches. Get the team practicing together regularly and riding tests home and away, get some team spirit going.

And most importantly get some proper structure to under 15 racing, so that youngsters have more competitive track time. And start trying to recruit moto x riders at a younger age, this is where most of our prospects are coming from but we need to get to them earlier.

Well said that man !

Heres my spin on last night, riders, except tia, just not good enough at this level, poor equipment and not motivated enough. They think they are far better riders than they actually are or will be. Very poor show and quite good we didnt make the final, if we had how badly beaten would we have been by better teams ?

Well well well!

Decent meeting results close!

Team GB (As a team) must be embarressed. (Should be anyway)

Was Scott sat there thinking "If I was in that we could have qualified" ?!

Tai did ok (You have to have a bad race sometime)

Bomber was ok (Still seems to have some passion for it, but sometimes struggles for speed)

Sorry the other 2 realy not at the races! Did not have the speed, smoothness, racecraft to turn it on for a big meeting (Sorry but its true)

The other 3 teams did them selves proud!!!!! Australia through!!!!!!!!!! USA wow (Greg Hancock showed what passion and teamwork can do) !!!!!!!! Latvia fair play to them!!!!!!!!!!

And I am patriotic & gutted!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, didn't Billy Hamill seem to get his team motivated and pulling in the same direction.........

The one thing the USA have always had in abundance is team spirit,the senior riders go out of their way to help the less experienced,very much an all for one and one for all policy.But i think thats just not a speedway thing i think its an American ideology,you have to be PROUD to be an American and when it comes to patriotism they knock us into a cocked hat.

So the promoters of the SWC should put some money into rider development perhaps???? Do they care how TeamGB perform?

So, in a nutshell, the sooner the new stadium at Belle Vue comes to fruition, the better. This is going to be styled on the old Hyde Road / Polish tracks and will give us a facility where we can develop British talent.

Getting a maximum around Lakeside/Wolves/Belle Vue has no relevance at all when looking at the continental tracks. We've seen a World U-21 champion recently look like a novice at Wolverhampton and then perform really well in the SWC for Poland.

PC and Michael Lee were both world champions and used to ride on big British tracks, which set them up well for what they found on the continent. Hopefully, our time will come again

As you say whilst they allocate the British u21 and main Final to tracks like Lakeside and Wolverhampton nothing will change, it might be a good idea to stage the British Final at Lynn especially if its where GB race in a 2014 SWC round.

Some training and practice on learning how to be bloody competitive out of the gate might help as well.

Also, Please Middlo (or whoever ends up as GB team manager next year) - give some of our younger riders a go. At least then if it goes ** up it's because we're chucking our youth in at the deep end to give them experience at this level.

Read a quote from Middlo somewhere whuch says the SWC is not the place to blood young riders, or words along those lines.

So the promoters of the SWC should put some money into rider development perhaps???? Do they care how TeamGB perform?

Unlikely that they care, in an emotional sense, and even more unlikely that they would do any funding.

But BSI are the only people/business with a vested interest in a competitive GB team at the SWC.

I would have thought the BSPA would be quite happy to see the whole competition just evaporate off the calendar.

There is nothing in it for them.

Except the negative impact of it pinching a week out of the fixtures in July when the weather is usually at it's best.

Edited by Grand Central

Well and truly stuffed? We got beat. narrowly, not stuffed.

A nation whose governing body has the ego of a "Manchester United" getting beaten by a team with the resources of "Yeovil Town". Yes I think it was a stuffing.

"Latvia may be racing in the SWC proper for the first time in their history, but they sent last year’s bronze medallists Russia crashing out of the competition and are keen to continue causing shocks."

This was a comment on yesterdays SWC site. So my guess is NO as it seems to have escaped thier notice that the Russian team was missing 3 of the best riders in the world when Latvia sent Russia CRASHING out of the competition.

No wonder the sport is in a mess :(

Read a quote from Middlo somewhere whuch says the SWC is not the place to blood young riders, or words along those lines.

He is right. But of course we don't have any system for doing that particular job.

I cannot understand why everyone is getting excited about the so called World Cup an event which bears no resemblance to anything the title World Cup might convey. It is really the "It's A Knockout, Mickey Mouse Cup" and of little importance. A supposedly major competition which could enable the best team on the night to lose thanks to the joker (fortunately Australia held on). A competition for various reasons many of the top riders do not take part, a competition which encourages cheating, Barker and the American ,whatever his name was. As one example, In any other speedway competition if through disqualification only two riders from the same side are left, the rules state they have to race at a racing speed not slow down to fix the scores, the "It's a Knockout" rules allow cheating . The whole thing is a disgrace and brings the sport down to the level of wrestling. No wonder the press take no interest and none of us true speedway fans should take any interest either.