British Speedway Forum
martin_t

Oh Dear, Lee Guilty Of Drug Possession

What about those that participate in and suffer injuries from 'dangerous' sports, for example speedway riders...

Would you object to the tax payer (NHS) funding their treatment too...

I thought something like that old chestnut would come out. Obviously you can take it to any lengths you like- dangerous sports, smokers, people who eat too much etc, so the question is where do we draw the line. We live in a democracy and the broad will of the people is to make the taking of recreational cannabis illegal, whereas dangerous sports etc are not illegal. I don't see why I should pay for the ailments of someone who by their own choice indulges in the taking of illegal substances likely to cause them harm.

Of course the reality is, that in a civilised society no hospital is going to turn away people who are hurt by doing illegal things, whether it be drugs, fights or drunk driving. However the main point being made is that despite those on here who tell us that smoking a bit of pot is harmless the NHS says different. I can't remember what the NHS spends on treating people with drug-related illnesses but it runs into millions and I would rather see that money spent on legitimate illnesses.

• Like 1

I feel more concern for Michael that his relationship has broke down than the fact he drowns his sorrows in a bit of pot. I have never touched the stuff myself but, aye, if it makes him come through a difficult patch, then so-be-it. And what has his age (as someone brought up) to do with anything? Michael Lee always creates interest, always has. A somewhat wasted talent but with many a tale to tell (I bet) that didn't make his book.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

I thought something like that old chestnut would come out. Obviously you can take it to any lengths you like- dangerous sports, smokers, people who eat too much etc, so the question is where do we draw the line. We live in a democracy and the broad will of the people is to make the taking of recreational cannabis illegal, whereas dangerous sports etc are not illegal. I don't see why I should pay for the ailments of someone who by their own choice indulges in the taking of illegal substances likely to cause them harm.

Of course the reality is, that in a civilised society no hospital is going to turn away people who are hurt by doing illegal things, whether it be drugs, fights or drunk driving. However the main point being made is that despite those on here who tell us that smoking a bit of pot is harmless the NHS says different. I can't remember what the NHS spends on treating people with drug-related illnesses but it runs into millions and I would rather see that money spent on legitimate illnesses.

As you allude too, there are so many easy targets that could be denied free Health Care as has been proposed by a small number of MP's and a bigger number of vested interests...

Does anyone really want to end up in Hospital though..

Denying Health Care would be a dangerous precedent and ultimately lead to the end of the 'free' NHS..

I'm just glad that Tufty taught me how to cross the road properly... :t:

Edited by yerropes

http://www.nhs.uk/Li...bisdangers.aspx

Michael Lee has paid his debt to society so I don't want to comment on him in particular but it does seem that taking cannabis is not the harmless fun that some on here try to tell us it is, although of course some will always tell us the NHS have got it wrong and they themselves know best.. If some peoples lives are so dull that the only way they think they can relax or get a bit of pleasure is to smoke a bit of weed at home fair enough but I do object to them turning up at hospital with drug related illnesses and expecting the tax-payer to fund it from the over-stretched NHS budget.

Like iv already said. I smoked the rubbish for years! Never did me any harm at all nor ANY of my many friends that did/still do. I jacked it all in 7 years ago. No side effects for me old boy. But then i MUST be wrong cos your bullrubbish text book says so dosnt it? Sorry. YOU AND YOUR BOOK are wrong.

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more.

As stated, I know a number of people that smoke a spliff purely for recreational purposes; from all walks of life and various ages. Personally, it's just never 'floated my boat' to try it. I am not aware of ANY of them becoming a financial drain on the NHS.

And whilst I'm not making a pro-drug argument (I don't preach how people should ever live their lives), cannabis is possibly doing less harm to people than junk food; particularly if we bring the UK's apparent ever-increasing levels of obesity into the equation.

But there you go. There are always going to be people such as E I Addio who don't just have an opinion (which is fine) but are actually opinionated.

As for the 'dull lives' reference. Can we HONESTLY say that someone who smokes a spliff has a duller life than us lot - wasting countless hours each year, typing away on a forum associated with a minority sport? ;)

• Like 3

In an article i have just read it said Michael Lee's co promoters licence has been withdrawn, and he could get a lifetime ban from the sport.If he does then maybe some on here will be happy.!

Edited by sidney

But there you go. There are always going to be people such as E I Addio who don't just have an opinion (which is fine) but are actually opinionated.

Who said I don't have an opinion ? I have expressed my opinion if you bother to read it. The opinion expressed is firstly that Michael Lee has paid his debt to society, all £600 of it so I don't want to comment further on him. He has paid his fine, starts again with a clean sheet so there is no point in raking over the coals as far as he is concerned, although he will be an idiot if he goes there again.

Secondly, if I am choosing between NHS scientists who say too much of the stuff can send you do-lally and you may finish up in the loony bin, as opposed to the empirical knowledge of yourself and mrlincolncity , based on nothing more than knowing a few mates then I tend to side with the experts. In fact reading mrlincolncity's posts I am not altogether sure that the "rubbish" as he calls it hasn't cost him a few marbles already. Bottom line is that if people want to indulge in the stuff, let them as long as they don't expect the taxpayer to pick up the bill, given there is clear evidence of a link between the carcinogens in spliff's and cancer, amongst other things.

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more.

As stated, I know a number of people that smoke a spliff purely for recreational purposes; from all walks of life and various ages. Personally, it's just never 'floated my boat' to try it. I am not aware of ANY of them becoming a financial drain on the NHS.

And whilst I'm not making a pro-drug argument (I don't preach how people should ever live their lives), cannabis is possibly doing less harm to people than junk food; particularly if we bring the UK's apparent ever-increasing levels of obesity into the equation.

As for the 'dull lives' reference. Can we HONESTLY say that someone who smokes a spliff has a duller life than us lot - wasting countless hours each year, typing away on a forum associated with a minority sport? ;)

Oh but I think you are!!!

I think you have done so consistently throughout this Thread.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but it certainly differs from mine.

• Like 2

I'm just glad that Tufty taught me how to cross the road properly... :t:

You do know that decades and decades later 'Tufty' is about to be outed and arrested Saville style lol lol.

You do know that decades and decades later 'Tufty' is about to be outed and arrested Saville style lol lol.

And Basil Brush, I understand, has skeletons in his cupboard! Ha ha ha, boom boom!

• Like 2

And Basil Brush, I understand, has skeletons in his cupboard! Ha ha ha, boom boom!

Well would you if you had had somebody's hand stuffed up your ar$e for years. :shock: :shock: :blink: :blink:

• Like 3

Having used speed I certainly wouldn't be having my engines "done" by somone using it to stay awake to work on them.

• Like 2

Who was it said "keep kicking him - the man's down!" I feel very sorry for Michael Lee despite his misdeed. I hope his detractors on here have themselves led blameless lives.

maybe not dealers though, possibly a mate that grows his own and just enough for him and his mate Michael Lee

that would make them friends dealers

if you buy drugs and give some to a friend in the eyes of the law you become a dealer even if no money changes hands you are still supplying drugs