British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

Glasgow V Edinburgh , Big Spring 2nd Leg , Sun 11/8/13@3p.m.

Glasgow really are truly horrific. Feel sorry for the fans.

Tortuous to watch Sneddon at reserve rack up paid 13, we can't stoop much lower. Edinburgh thoroughly deserved to win with their middle order of Fricke, Pijper and Tabaka coming up with some excellent points in addition to the others. Cook was illustrious again, getting a 5-1 in ht5 when off 15m and going after Screen right to the end in the final race. Dakota North lacked power and Thomsen seemed to have bike problems however it was much of the same from Glasgow. Jim McGregor had a bizarre afternoon, being quite pedantic about riders being at the tapes within the 2 minutes but taking ages between heats to actually put the 2 minutes on.

Glad I went to Tynecastle today instead. Now that was a team filled with young boys, who fought with a determination and pride for the maroon jersey. Led by an experienced captain who was willing to run through a brick wall, and I'm sure the younger players responded to that.

But enough about the Famous. One thing I thought of though today whilst waiting on my train was that Glasgow v Edinburgh meetings have been totally devalued over the years due to the amount of times we race each other in a season. I know football is a totally different kettle of fish, but I do remember the times when I would have felt the way I did this morning (before going to the Edinburgh Derby) on the morning of a Scottish Speedway derby. Now it's just "Meh"

I know it's a "big money maker" for the clubs, although I don't know if that is entirely true these days, but I would like to see us only ride in the league and any Premier Trophy northern section. Scrap the spring cup entirely and even have the Scottish cup run every 2 years.

Well done to Edinburgh today. Going from the updates on the chatzone it was an entertaining meeting, with loads of passing so at least the fans were entertained.

Anyway I'm now off to celebrate some more. (And for any Hibees looking in.....HaHaHaHaHaHaHa)

It is truly horrific watching your team get hammered every week at home, thanks for the sympathy its appreciated.

Racing was actually quite good today as well.

Some top notch racing today. Fricke and ringwood the highlight for me. Track produced the goods. Well done to track staff. Hope this quality of racing becomes the norm.

Who'd be a speedway promoter?

It's always a long drive back along the M8 when you've suffered a home defeat, especially at the hands of your auld enemy.

But it gives you time to think.

Off the track, the promotion have done a marvellous job. Trying to raise the sports profile and finances. Learning their new trade and from their mistakes. They've not been scared to make the big decisions either. You couldn't fault them for effort nor commitment.

The stadium is much more presentable and the track has been worked on to a much improved standard.

Then from left-field comes the bombshell - you need to invest in an air fence before next season starts.

We don't need an air-fence, our bends are so wide it takes half a tank of methanol just to get to one of them!

And of course the support are equally as good and have dug deep!

On the track is where the promotion will need to show the same attitude next year.

First, things first. Edinburgh fully deserved their win today. A workmanlike performance and got the job done, each and every one of them contributing.

At the start of each heat, as their riders came out the pits I thought, he could win this one - for six of their septet. Daunting, to say the least. Ignore the crass, uninformed comments above of emilali - which I'm sure you do already! - that would detract from the efforts of a good team.

So, what of Glasgow?

Even Stevie Wonder can see our Achilles heel is the reserve positions. Joey and Joe have tried hard, but improvement has been limited. Before today, between them, 9 heat wins in 41 meetings and 180 rides, speaks for itself.

Joey (sorry mate) typifies Glasgow riders for me with the exception of Screeny and Grievesy - no presence on track.

When he's behind, you know that's where he'll finish. When he's in the lead, he's there for the taking. Heat 8 was his, but consistently he left so much inside space going into bend 1 and coming out of bend 4 it was only a matter of time before Fricke took him. Joey got out the tapes, as he did in the previous heat, then threw it away. He won't need me to tell him that. One question I do have, are any of his team mates or his manager telling him? Glasgow just do not seem to develop new riders the way Edinburgh do. He's not the only one who's easy to pass at Ashfield - no presence!

We are also weak out the gates. Sean knows that, there's been training to rectify, yet we were second best to the first bend so many times today and without that presence, you just feared that was it, each time.

I'm no team manager, but why have Screeny and Dakota at 1 and 2, when we're obviously weak at 3 and 4?

Grievesy we will all appreciate more when he's not here. I will anyway, I just take it for granted he'll be there week in week out. His win over Cook was brilliant!

Henning, I just don't get. Why have we stuck with him? I've read suggestions on BSF he'll be in the team next year as we're staging his testimonial.

10 wins in 95 races, he's not going to improve.

So where do the promotion go next year.

Well, I have every confidence in their ability based on how they've conducted themselves off track. It's whether or not they do it on track , and if the speedway gods are with them in getting the right riders.

Hopefully they'll make the big decisions, with Screeny and Grievesy going they have the ideal chance to re-build.

I hope they take it.

Edited by george.m

good performance by the 'smug lot' today to take a convincing victory.

Less said about the tiggers the better as they are rotten.

But taxi for Mr Mcgregor as he was horrid. Heat 5 was a shambles fair enough Cook jumped at it first time but he didn't the second time he just made a great start but not according to the ref as he seems to think that he jmped it again so excludes him. then he excludes Max for delaying the start for some strange reason as max was first out of the pits when the fresh 2 minutes came on and was at the tapes and ready but hey ho we got the 5 -1 out the heat anyway as Cookie picked both tiggers off from 15 meters in no time.

So, what of Glasgow?

Even Stevie Wonder can see our Achilles heel is the reserve positions. Joey and Joe have tried hard, but improvement has been limited. Before today, between them, 9 heat wins in 41 meetings and 180 rides, speaks for itself.

I havent seen Glasgow yet this season,so last night was the 1st time Id seen Joe Jacobs,and from last night I was quite impressed.He got 5 rides,after the Dane Jokobsen was injured,scored 2pts but that couldve easily been more,bearing in mind the kind of opposition he was up against I thought he did more than ok.But then I see his scores for Glasgow and they look like two different riders,history shows that given the time most Aussies do come good,lets hope thats case for Jacobs and Glasgow for 2014.

• Like 1

Who'd be a speedway promoter?

It's always a long drive back along the M8 when you've suffered a home defeat, especially at the hands of your auld enemy.

But it gives you time to think.

Off the track, the promotion have done a marvellous job. Trying to raise the sports profile and finances. Learning their new trade and from their mistakes. They've not been scared to make the big decisions either. You couldn't fault them for effort nor commitment.

The stadium is much more presentable and the track has been worked on to a much improved standard.

Then from left-field comes the bombshell - you need to invest in an air fence before next season starts.

We don't need an air-fence, our bends are so wide it takes half a tank of methanol just to get to one of them!

And of course the support are equally as good and have dug deep!

On the track is where the promotion will need to show the same attitude next year.

First, things first. Edinburgh fully deserved their win today. A workmanlike performance and got the job done, each and every one of them contributing.

At the start of each heat, as their riders came out the pits I thought, he could win this one - for six of their septet. Daunting, to say the least. Ignore the crass, uninformed comments above of emilali - which I'm sure you do already! - that would detract from the efforts of a good team.

So, what of Glasgow?

Joey (sorry mate) typifies Glasgow riders for me with the exception of Screeny and Grievesy - no presence on track.

When he's behind, you know that's where he'll finish. When he's in the lead, he's there for the taking. Heat 8 was his, but consistently he left so much inside space going into bend 1 and coming out of bend 4 it was only a matter of time before Fricke took him. Joey got out the tapes, as he did in the previous heat, then threw it away. He won't need me to tell him that. One question I do have, are any of his team mates or his manager telling him? Glasgow just do not seem to develop new riders the way Edinburgh do. He's not the only one who's easy to pass at Ashfield - no presence!

We are also weak out the gates. Sean knows that, there's been training to rectify, yet we were second best to the first bend so many times today and without that presence, you just feared that was it, each time.

I'm no team manager, but why have Screeny and Dakota at 1 and 2, when we're obviously weak at 3 and 4?

Grievesy we will all appreciate more when he's not here. I will anyway, I just take it for granted he'll be there week in week out. His win over Cook was brilliant!

Henning, I just don't get. Why have we stuck with him? I've read suggestions on BSF he'll be in the team next year as we're staging his testimonial.

10 wins in 95 races, he's not going to improve.

So where do the promotion go next year.

Well, I have every confidence in their ability based on how they've conducted themselves off track. It's whether or not they do it on track , and if the speedway gods are with them in getting the right riders.

Hopefully they'll make the big decisions, with Screeny and Grievesy going they have the ideal chance to re-build.

I hope they take it.

Fair points, I mentioned on Easy Tiger that we are paying the price of taking a short term view to team building at the start of the season by fielding a weak line up. How much has it now cost to replace 2 riders then replace the replacements after a month? We have top get it right for next year, we won't get a third go at appealing for a work permit for another untried Australian. After signing a new out and out No1 we should build the team from the bottom up with a minimum of 8.5 points being spent on the reserves who can then interchange with underperforming riders in the main body throughout the season. For the last 2 weeks we have been undone by a 5.50 reserve running riot in Aspgren and Sneddon. Time it was our turn!

I havent seen Glasgow yet this season,so last night was the 1st time Id seen Joe Jacobs,and from last night I was quite impressed.He got 5 rides,after the Dane Jokobsen was injured,scored 2pts but that couldve easily been more,bearing in mind the kind of opposition he was up against I thought he did more than ok.But then I see his scores for Glasgow and they look like two different riders,history shows that given the time most Aussies do come good,lets hope thats case for Jacobs and Glasgow for 2014.

He's been pretty awful at Ashfield for the bulk of the season after a promising start. Interviewed today he said he just can't get out of the starts and was replaced by Ringwood in one heat. Seems to ride better away from Ashfield. His full transfer from Ipswich has gone all quiet.

I am completely flummoxed ( good word that. ) Why so you say ? I say because I'm completely flummoxed. Why so.....aw shut up.

I was watching today's match with mixed emoticons. :rofl::blink::sad: ( Mixed emoticons. ) I am a long standing, indeed sitting at times, fan of the Tigers but am confuddled as to whether to so be from here on in. They couldnae beat an egg these days. I recall spouting about grabbing Santa Claus Vissing when he was availabubble at the start of the season and look who grabbed him, and look how good he is. We went for cheap and cheerful ( not sure it was cheap either wi' the Aussies. Big mistake. We went in search of somebody, anybody to fill the gaps, and we may have found one in the young Dane, but we are looking desperate even for next season again when Joe and James retire.. The new guys have made a bit of a Horlicks of things I regret to say.

There is something else missing this term. I've said before I don't mind if we get scrambled as long as the racing's good. Well the racing's quite good but there's still something missing. I have to confess here, and I don't believe my own fingers are typing this, but I am, whisper it.....bored.. :drink: Bored bored bored. There. I've said it ( three times too. ) Or is it four ? There is a definitive lack of sumthin. I could possibly go on but it wid take too long.

Fact is, apart from Cookie quite rightly throwing a tan trum at that idiotic referee ( what the hell was HE watching ? ) I can't tell you the last time I threw a tan trum mesel ....with excitement. Long time ago noo I think. And that's the problem. No excitement. Good racing... at times, Fairly good presentation....at times, but nae jump oot yer seat yelling yer daft lungs oot excitement. Sorry, but it's twoo it's twoo ( that's a direct quote from Blazing Saddles. )

We fans are a loyal bunch ( so are some of the big wans ) but there is a limit and I for one me myself personally I have mayhaps reached mine. I don't know whether it's my oldness or what, but the old speedway lark is definitely losing some of it's magic. I want to jump up and shout, yes even at my exalted age, not ho hum it's another three all. Three for them and two and one for us. Perhaps I should buy that big box of jigsaws I saw on eBay and just reminisce. ( Another good word that to finish with. ) :sad:

Where you there today to make an informed opinion?

Cracking meeting today despite the referee's best efforts to spoil it . Ok we got thumped again , but the track and the standard of entertainment was superb . Our season has been over for weeks , but if we get a track prepared like that every week , i for one wont mind a bit .

good performance by the 'smug lot' today to take a convincing victory.

Less said about the tiggers the better as they are rotten.

As individuals, they're not rotten. They are what they are.

As a team, there's not enough of consistent high scorers especially at home. Only two at home are reliable - Screeny and Greivesy.

The team lacks a third consistent heat leader to give us backbone.

Each meeting we're looking for riders to up their game and it's expecting too much.

It's the mix that's wrong.

Joe is a born and bred Suffolk lad, not an Aussie lol. Although his winters are spent in OZ with Cam Heeps :P
  • Like 1

Cracking meeting today despite the referee's best efforts to spoil it . Ok we got thumped again , but the track and the standard of entertainment was superb . Our season has been over for weeks , but if we get a track prepared like that every week , i for one wont mind a bit .

Looking forward to meeting up on the weekend mc,paulco.