British Speedway Forum
Elephantman

Air Fence Safety Performance - Research?

The only product I can think of that could be used behind an air fence, is used converyer belting. It could be sourced maybe free of charge from belting people when they re-new an old belt as they only throw it away.. It would come in long enough lenths to cover the air bags and can be easily joined and could be buried under the ground part way with the rest abouve grouns fixed in some way.

It is flexible enough to stop the rider from going under the fence and bring them to a safe stop.

Just an idea to work for the re-cycling industry. May just help to save a few guys from some bad injuries.

if air fences are the answer to safety, why dont we have them down the straights, riders still get injured hitting the fence there, or would they cost too much to put all around the track?

and if cost is a factor, how does that fit with rider safety?

if air fences are the answer to safety, why dont we have them down the straights, riders still get injured hitting the fence there, or would they cost too much to put all around the track?

and if cost is a factor, how does that fit with rider safety?

Got nothing to do with cost. In an early GP, Lucas Dryml caught the air fence, just before the start gate, and cartwheeled down the straight, as did his bike. Other riders had to pass so it was decided that the track was safer with just the bends using an air fence, as the straight air fence pulled him into the middle.

The general guideline is that the corner should start as from a line straight ahead from the 3rd gate, and finish once the straight starts.

Got nothing to do with cost. In an early GP, Lucas Dryml caught the air fence, just before the start gate, and cartwheeled down the straight, as did his bike. Other riders had to pass so it was decided that the track was safer with just the bends using an air fence, as the straight air fence pulled him into the middle.

The general guideline is that the corner should start as from a line straight ahead from the 3rd gate, and finish once the straight starts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIASAOxpEaU

• Like 1

Just had to drag this up again... I tried quickly to find the acu rule book about APD's. Did not find one. The question is, how long are the airfences in UK speedway valid from new until they have to be re-inspected? Or are they all FIM homologated?

It's six years. So ACU/BSPA has their own method to check them, since they give a year more lifetime to a fence than the FIM does.

http://www.scbgb.co.uk/pdf/regulations/2014%20SPEEDWAY%20REGULATIONS.pdf

so are you saying this cant happen on the bends as well? and if it does will they be removed on the bends as well?

and will all riders that fall off on the straights get their foot rests caught in the fence?

so are you saying this cant happen on the bends as well? and if it does will they be removed on the bends as well?

and will all riders that fall off on the straights get their foot rests caught in the fence?

No. Where do I infer it.

I find it crazy that anyone would advocate reintroducing AirFences down the straights after the accidents in the past. It's very dangerous

Similar crashes do happen on the bends but most of the speed is scrubbed off and the safety on the bends far outweighs the negatives with high speed crashes.

• Like 1

No. Where do I infer it.

your not, but you are using it as an excuse not to have them on the straights, so again what happens if someones foot rest catches the air fence on a bend? do we do away them on the bends as well?

I find it crazy that anyone would advocate reintroducing AirFences down the straights after the accidents in the past. It's very dangerous

Similar crashes do happen on the bends but most of the speed is scrubbed off and the safety on the bends far outweighs the negatives with high speed crashes.

i am not, i am just asking why is it dangerous only on the straights, but not dangerous on the bends, and it cant just be speed, at sheffield they go into the bends at 60 to 70 mph, so if you hit the fence on entry to the corner you are going faster than you would be on the exit, when you start going down the straight.

another bquestion would be how many riders were injured because of the air fences on the straights, and how many have been injured because there hasnt been an air fence on the straight?

anyone know for sure, ie facts and figures rather than opinions?

your not, but you are using it as an excuse not to have them on the straights, so again what happens if someones foot rest catches the air fence on a bend? do we do away them on the bends as well?

i am not, i am just asking why is it dangerous only on the straights, but not dangerous on the bends, and it cant just be speed, at sheffield they go into the bends at 60 to 70 mph, so if you hit the fence on entry to the corner you are going faster than you would be on the exit, when you start going down the straight.

another bquestion would be how many riders were injured because of the air fences on the straights, and how many have been injured because there hasnt been an air fence on the straight?

anyone know for sure, ie facts and figures rather than opinions?

I might be guilty of stating the obvious but when you go into the bends don't you lean over which moves the footrest away from the fence and then you slide as well which means the back wheel would touch the fence long before anything else?

• Like 2

If your foot rest or handles bars his the fence on the bend then you're in for it big time anyway. Think about it. You're riding parallel to the fence down the straight. On the bend your bike is perpendicular to the fence so it's going to be your back wheel that hits it. If anything other than your back wheel hits the fence you're already out of control and going to hit the fence anyway.

They only had air fences on the straight for a season but Dryml, Hurry and Ermoelnko all got sucked in. I can';t think of a tim a rider has been sucked in on the bend. The closest was Ales Drymls crash at Oxford and by then he was more or less on the straight.