British Speedway Forum
NickRushbrook

Riders Who Come On Later In Their Careers.

If that's the case then I take it back. I've always liked Davey.

He doesn't get many last so perhaps it's good to get two out of the way in a fixture that doesn't count. The law of averages says it looks like a good score in the rerun.

Apart from the whole "winning the world championship in his 20s bit " ?

You may be a troll but you still do my head in. If you want to drag people into your little wind ups, at least do some some research.

Anyway, bow-locks to you...

Mr David Mullett

I've got no input on Bill's riding or his average as it was way before my time. But just hearing his name strikes many happy memories for me and some nights of anecdotes and basically good times with a fantastic bloke.

I have memories of sharing a brilliantly disgraceful night in Zagreb with him and some other high profile figures including perhaps a few of the current sky team ;-) where i was very nearly arrested (not for crystal meth dealing btw but for bleeping a croatian bloke with a bleep) - and an equally horrifying night with Shovlar and Streety in Stockholm.

Good memories with a good bloke.

Doctor i never ever met the man,but had heard from others what a gent he was helping endless youngsters over the years.A great ambassador for our sport in 1972 Streety averaged 5.28 but in 1974 at the age of 43 averaged 7.70 saying that i believe his top average was ? 8.28 in 1966 for Exeter a legend. Edited by sidney

i think Brian Havelock started at about 28 but, despite being reviled these days by Bears fans, became a very stylish 2nd tier heatleader.

Similar story with Paul Pickering, without the revulsion!

i think Brian Havelock started at about 28 but, despite being reviled these days by Bears fans, became a very stylish 2nd tier heatleader.

Similar story with Paul Pickering, without the revulsion!

a bit out of touch these days but why is Brian Havelock so reviled by Bears fans ?

Haven't read through the whole thread, but the most notable example was Ivan Mauger.

A "failure" at 17 and 18 (actually he was a little unlucky regarding the limited league structure at that point - no proper second division in which to home his skills).

I guess he wasn't THAT old when he came back over in 1963, but he wasn't World Champion unitl not far from his 29th birthday. Mauger's peak was from the ages of 28 to 39.

All the best

Rob

Think its more about attitude than age. Most riders could get an extra 20% improvement if they spent more time in the gym, & less time in the pub. Another big factor is sponsorship. Woffie is a good example, because he has dedicated his life to speedway, & is reaping the benefits. Pedersen, Hancock etc are prolonging their careers doing the same.

George Barclay I believe was a late starter in the 1970's. A late finisher too - he still Rides nowadays and trains young Riders at Lakeside I think. :t:

A great servant to the Sport. :t::approve: :approve:

The one that springs to mind is the tiny polish guy who got into the gp's just a couple of years before he retired.Only about 5 years ago.Can't for the life of me think of his name though

Jagus

If you look at Mauger as an example then hans Nielsen couldn't have been much younger when he won his first title.Seemed to explode on the scene as a teenager,but took ages for that first world crown

Edited by iris123

a bit out of touch these days but why is Brian Havelock so reviled by Bears fans ?

i believe he can be a prickly character (ask twk) or look at bears-talk where most fans wish to see him and his colleagues sell up and go

Was Alan Knapkin a late starter? improved later as a rider was an exciting rider around Odsal didn't he have his own business which made speedway difficult to concentrate on.

Vic Duggan would be a prime candidate too, not peaking until nearing the end of his career.

Steve

I`d include Nicki Pedersen and Niels Kristian Iversen , both had a slowish start to their Careers imo

Really? Interesting idea of, "slowish start" :/