British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RedcarRacer

Sheffield For Sale

As I thought, Machin asking very much for very little. He's only got a licence to sell. He has no rider assets and doesn't own the stadium.

Anyone offering big bucks would be a fool what with having to purchase a £20k air fence.

Machin clearly has no interest in running it so may as well take the price for his licence and disappear.

Indeed although the rights to run speedway in a certain stadium i.e the license is akin to having the right to be able to throw money down a particular grid. With the air fence issue the in reality that license probably has a negative value

There are no such thing as rider assets, if a promoter wants to employ any rider simply negotiate a deal with him, no loan or transfer fees apply to self employed tradesmen

Machin has got some rider assets but cant be worth much.Hoggys commented in todays star weve got riders asking to ride for us !!!!!!! We heard that last year and look what we got.I think whoever takes over has got to take over a.s.a.p. get the riders sorted and a new manager with good experience.The longer it goes on we will finish up with the leftover riders nobody wants.I cant see steady,lawson and allen waiting around till we get sorted.Workington managed to get sorted last year and put a solid team together lets hope we can follow suit.

I see the name Lawson mentioned by Charlieboy. Is this the same Lawson?

http://www.lakesidehammers.co/content/?p=6530

Edited by Guest

Indeed although the rights to run speedway in a certain stadium i.e the license is akin to having the right to be able to throw money down a particular grid. With the air fence issue the in reality that license probably has a negative value

There are no such thing as rider assets, if a promoter wants to employ any rider simply negotiate a deal with him, no loan or transfer fees apply to self employed tradesmen

Wrong again.

I'm curious about this rider asset thing. When the company I managed used self employed personnel I had a meeting with the then Inland Revenue to clarify exactly what "self employed" meant. In short, the answer was as soon as we, the employer, made any demands such as working hours, uniforms etc and tried to enforce these with sanctions those workers would be have to be treated as employed. Maybe the rules have changed in the last few years but I would have thought a self employed rider whose track has closed could go where he likes and any attempt to control this by the BSPA would be restraint of trade.

Genuinely would like to know the answer to this.

Exactly. Sheffield had to pay a loan fee for Simon Stead this year.

No they didn't, they may have agreed to pay it but they didn't have to

Like I said there are no such things as rider assetts, Sinon Stead could have ridden wherever he wanted and that track need not pay one penny. The system only stands up because, at the moment, all the promoters see, happy to play along but it will only take one to decide he isn't paying a loan fee for the whole thing to collapse like a house of cards

• Like 1

Ricky Wells signs for a powerful looking Workington for 2014. Worrying.

Not necessarily. Wells clearly had issues last year and you can't blame him taking up the offer of a guaranteed team place at this stage rather than holding on until someone takes over.

No they didn't, they may have agreed to pay it but they didn't have to

Like I said there are no such things as rider assetts, Sinon Stead could have ridden wherever he wanted and that track need not pay one penny. The system only stands up because, at the moment, all the promoters see, happy to play along but it will only take one to decide he isn't paying a loan fee for the whole thing to collapse like a house of cards

I think you are right, but as you say everyone plays the game so loan and transfer fees will be paid.

As I thought, Machin asking very much for very little. He's only got a licence to sell. He has no rider assets and doesn't own the stadium.

Do you know the asking price ? If so, share it with us so that we might judge whether it is reasonable or not. if you don't, your comment has no basis in truth at all.

I'm sure the majority of scunny fans love it when Sheffield fail... like spinny says its rivalry, sure Sheffield fans feel the same about us.... I'm also pretty sure that no fan of either team is that small minded that they would want a rival team to close down.

I am sure that Rob Godfrey has said that Scunthorpe's position is affected by Sheffield and Leicester competing in the PL.

Fingers crossed for the Tigers, at least someone is 'seriously' interested which must be better than nothing. Its a top stadium, a fine racing track and they have some of the best fans in the business.

• Like 1

Ricky Wells signs for a powerful looking Workington for 2014. Worrying.

wells wanted to sign for workington in 2013 aswell but didnt for whatever reason looks like he got his wish for 2014

I've got one of my wishes for 2014. No Wells at Owlerton.

Just waiting for confirmation of the Tigers coming back and I'll have the double.

I've got one of my wishes for 2014. No Wells at Owlerton.

Just waiting for confirmation of the Tigers coming back and I'll have the double.

So you're glad to see the back of our best rider last season are you......words fail me.

• Like 1

So you're glad to see the back of our best rider last season are you......words fail me.

Agree, Ricky was the only reason to follow the Tigers on the road last year he single-handedly saved us from total embarrassment on the road. After a rocky first season with the Tigers he was brilliant in 2013.

Good luck to Ricky in 2014, Worky have made a great signing!!!

• Like 1

Agree, Ricky was the only reason to follow the Tigers on the road last year he single-handedly saved us from total embarrassment on the road. After a rocky first season with the Tigers he was brilliant in 2013.

Good luck to Ricky in 2014, Worky have made a great signing!!!

I think that Ricky was the Marmite Kid at Sheffield, fans either loved him or were not keen.

The problem was that most did not see his true value to the team as most of his best performances were away from Owlerton and most fans odn't travel away.

I am personally sorry to see the fella go, and wish him well for the future.

Edited by spin king
  • Like 2