British Speedway Forum

F2 Speedway - Any Views?

so how many F2 bikes are there around now. Is it still 3

I think that there have been some F2 speedway bike tests recently? Can any forum colleague confirm this. And, if such tests were held, is there any update on how the bikes performed?

I'm sure they were tested/used at Leicester recently but I have no direct feedback other than a couple of 'positive' posts/pics on facebook!

Slightly disappointing, havent seen any of this any where. Hoped they would show it at Rye in the KOC final the bikes where there but no action.

Seemed odd not having them race around.

Slightly disappointing, havent seen any of this any where. Hoped they would show it at Rye in the KOC final the bikes where there but no action.

You may well have seen them and not realised what they were as they are 100% speedway , and if they weren't announced you would not be able to tell the difference .

Nothing said at the time but what was the second half race between Ben Morley and Tyson Nelson about? Certainly Nelson's bike with the huge handlebars looked a bit unusual or maybe he had just put them on a regular machine which, without the covers either; made it look different from the norm. .

Nothing said at the time but what was the second half race between Ben Morley and Tyson Nelson about? Certainly Nelson's bike with the huge handlebars looked a bit unusual or maybe he had just put them on a regular machine which, without the covers either; made it look different from the norm. .

It was a new bike he was testing.

Eh, how about not tuning those engines? In amateur speedway old Jawa 884 last for a life time. Engine parts are silly cheap compared to mx-engines. Funny to hear flat track guys saying that mx-engines are better and last for ever. So does speedway engine if you use full throttle only when you are going straight line. In mx you dont use full throttle for long times without gearing up or braking. And when you ride mx on the top level, full throttle when ever it is possible.. engines are tuned in every possible way and are rebuilt after every race.

• Like 1

Eh, how about not tuning those engines? In amateur speedway old Jawa 884 last for a life time. Engine parts are silly cheap compared to mx-engines. Funny to hear flat track guys saying that mx-engines are better and last for ever. So does speedway engine if you use full throttle only when you are going straight line. In mx you dont use full throttle for long times without gearing up or braking. And when you ride mx on the top level, full throttle when ever it is possible.. engines are tuned in every possible way and are rebuilt after every race.

a couple of my friends ride motox and they ride 450s and they do blow up quite alot. Any engine used like a speedway engine at max revs will blow up ,dosent matter if its made by honda or rolls royce or whoever and to say these motox engine will last without any blow ups is false. As said a jawa or gm or any engine will last a season without service if your just pootling round

It was a new bike he was testing.

Thanks.

a couple of my friends ride motox and they ride 450s and they do blow up quite alot. Any engine used like a speedway engine at max revs will blow up ,dosent matter if its made by honda or rolls royce or whoever and to say these motox engine will last without any blow ups is false. As said a jawa or gm or any engine will last a season without service if your just pootling round

Depends what you call 'pootling around'. A Jawa/GM will last longer on grass track, as it is a different discipline, but would not accuse grass trackers of 'pootling'. And MotoX is different as the bike is running for a far longer period of time. Yes much of that time the revs are not on the limit, but a wet meeting or a sand track and the revs will be up. However, unless Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha or whoever, are onside and willing to supply just engines without complications, it is unlikely to work. It would be more 'healthy' if GM/Jawa and the tuners produced a proper budget 'trainer/NL' version of their engines.

Depends what you call 'pootling around'. A Jawa/GM will last longer on grass track, as it is a different discipline, but would not accuse grass trackers of 'pootling'. And MotoX is different as the bike is running for a far longer period of time. Yes much of that time the revs are not on the limit, but a wet meeting or a sand track and the revs will be up. However, unless Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha or whoever, are onside and willing to supply just engines without complications, it is unlikely to work. It would be more 'healthy' if GM/Jawa and the tuners produced a proper budget 'trainer/NL' version of their engines.

i my personal opinion the honda ktm etc is not the way forward . The way forward is for someone to get jrm to make a budget speedway engine thats just for brirish speedway. Its cheap and you can only use the parts by that manufacutuer which are standard. They could even use the design for the ice engine that they currently make which is a 2valve and make the adjustments for speedway but had anybody got the will to make this happen ? I doubt it but i know one promotor did put this idea forward 5years ago but it never happend

As said a jawa or gm or any engine will last a season without service if your just pootling round

And isn't it supposed to be beginners that these bikes are aimed at? Don't think I've seen any beginners ride full gas for 4 laps so like you I can't see the advantage of these bikes. it would be interesting to see them tested by some good riders independently though.

And isn't it supposed to be beginners that these bikes are aimed at? Don't think I've seen any beginners ride full gas for 4 laps so like you I can't see the advantage of these bikes. it would be interesting to see them tested by some good riders independently though.

Nor do you see young up and coming riders buying brand new engines, but of course this problem would lessen as the new engines became 'old' ones.

you can get old jawa laydown engines for peanuts but unfortunatly the new breed of up and comings insist on the latest offset GM bike with monster stickers and a joker throttle and they cant even slide the bike but they insist on waisting money and for that reason i cant see them wanting to buy or ride an f2bike because thats not what holder/hancock or gollob are riding and in their head thats what matters

. it would be interesting to see them tested by some good riders independently though.

2 were used in the buxton air fence meeting by aidan and les collins .they were not far off the pace although on a big fast track i think they would be lost
  • Like 1