British Speedway Forum

Looks the weakest on paper but who knows? If Newman, Davies, Jensen or Kalle can explode into a genuine second heat leader things may be different.

Poor team if Davies is included. I would imagine the Plymouth promotion know this

If the point your getting at is that Davies isn't second heat leader material, Benko is unlikely to do much and Reade could struggle then I'd agree. But who knows!

As I've said before about the Plymouth side - I don't see us finishing in the play-offs but I don't think we'll be bottom.

My worry is Barker, as on starting averages there is a lot of pressure on him to do the business and I've heard his off season hasn't been that great.

I agree with Mikey. I think it looks better than the last couple of years but clearly isn't going to make the play-offs. If Davies can continue his improvement (which would mean holding his average as presumably he rides at #5 he'll face better opposition then they have a second heat leader. I think I saw Jensen's 'real' average was about 6.50 so now he has some experience of being over here I'm sure he can hold his 7.00 if not slightly improve. Barker is Barker at PL level. Again he's sure to hold his average. Newman has always seemed better on the tighter circuits for me and I can only see his average going up (albeit slightly). Benko is awful and will have done extremely well to stay above 3.00. I think Reade has had enough chances to score a true average now, even if I expect it to be 3 something. Plus riding for the Demons will help him get dialled back in to the track. That leaves Kalle who I genuinely believe can put the2 points on his average needed to cancel out the 2 points lost by Benko, especially when he's at reserve. So a team with a roughly overall of no increase but no decrease in average isn't likely to do well but probably won't come last. However you then get Benko alongside Reade at reserve, and 2 men who are both basically 3.00 men which gives no cover to an ok top 5 and Kalle is banging in the points anymore that's when I think they'll struggle. But hopefully Reade will be up and running by then, over his injury and having ridden lots of SBA laps this year to be alright at home which will keep the home wins coming.

I'd like to state I have nothing against Plymouth infact I have been down 3x times, nice little set up

I thought you guys got a good initial balance last year but Kling and Lemon flopped

This year Barker will lead the line no two ways about it 9 point average

Newman and Davies averages in my opinion will drop coming from Somerset

Katajiisto may be a great coup depends which one you get, but while at reserve a Diamond

Benko, Reade = mince

Jensen like Davies is not a 2nd Heat Leader yet

I may be wrong I'd like to see the Devils do well, but this team is under- strength in my opinion

To win any trophies or show any sort of improvement up the table requires an increase in riders averages. To be honest, I'm struggling to see where this is going to happen.

Barker will hold his own.

Davies, assuming he starts, will drop initially due to lack of home advantage, but will be about the same at the finish.

Jensen will drop after his first away meeting,(to around 6.50) but he will, I think, increase by around 1.5 points overall.

Newman will surely drop as his SBA form is abysmal. Maybe if he sorts that out quickly, he might stay about the same.

Benko is the big unknown. is continental form is good, but hey are bigger tracks Can only see a drop in his starting average.

Katajisto will improve while at reserve, overall improve by around 1.5 points

Reade could well hold his own, maybe add a little.The extra track time with the Demons will certainly help his confidence.

Overall, not enough to get near the playoffs. Lower half of the table at best. However, I can see changes being made fairly quickly, so wouldn't expect this line up to finish the season.

Happy to be proven wrong in my assessment.

Edited by Penny Cross

I agree with Mikey. I think it looks better than the last couple of years but clearly isn't going to make the play-offs. If Davies can continue his improvement (which would mean holding his average as presumably he rides at #5 he'll face better opposition then they have a second heat leader. I think I saw Jensen's 'real' average was about 6.50 so now he has some experience of being over here I'm sure he can hold his 7.00 if not slightly improve. Barker is Barker at PL level. Again he's sure to hold his average. Newman has always seemed better on the tighter circuits for me and I can only see his average going up (albeit slightly). Benko is awful and will have done extremely well to stay above 3.00. I think Reade has had enough chances to score a true average now, even if I expect it to be 3 something. Plus riding for the Demons will help him get dialled back in to the track. That leaves Kalle who I genuinely believe can put the2 points on his average needed to cancel out the 2 points lost by Benko, especially when he's at reserve. So a team with a roughly overall of no increase but no decrease in average isn't likely to do well but probably won't come last. However you then get Benko alongside Reade at reserve, and 2 men who are both basically 3.00 men which gives no cover to an ok top 5 and Kalle is banging in the points anymore that's when I think they'll struggle. But hopefully Reade will be up and running by then, over his injury and having ridden lots of SBA laps this year to be alright at home which will keep the home wins coming.

Couldn't agree more about the reserves - Early on Kalle will hopefully do the business but Benko and Reade could be the sticking point. If one or both struggle and we replace them with better then we could well hold our own as a mid-table outfit, if not it could be bottom 3.

If I were a betting man - I'd bet Tim Webster will at some point be in the Devils 1-7!

• Like 1

If Alex Davies does get clearance he could add 2 points to his average, last year he rode as a second string (putting him against 2 heat leaders in most races). Those of us who know can see the talent Alex has, riding @ Plymouth should help his away form. I find it very disapointing there is so much negative talk on this Plymouth forum - you guys deserve Mike (Arthur Daley) Bowden back in charge!!!!

• Like 1

If Alex Davies does get clearance he could add 2 points to his average, last year he rode as a second string (putting him against 2 heat leaders in most races). Those of us who know can see the talent Alex has, riding @ Plymouth should help his away form. I find it very disapointing there is so much negative talk on this Plymouth forum - you guys deserve Mike (Arthur Daley) Bowden back in charge!!!!

That's a bit harsh....... on Arthur Daley! :lol::P

Most of the negative comments are not from plymouth fans,but 'experts' from other clubs

Don't know about that Lewy. I have seen several from one particular Devils fan in the not too distant past.

Plymouth is a great little set up with a super little track. They deserve some success because there is no doubt a decent fan base there. I like the look of Barker as the main rider with back up from Jensen, Newman and Davies, but reckon they will fall short lower down in the side.

Mid table finish at best. Looking forward to making at least a couple of trips down this season.

Don't know about that Lewy. I have seen several from one particular Devils fan in the not too distant past.

Plymouth is a great little set up with a super little track. They deserve some success because there is no doubt a decent fan base there. I like the look of Barker as the main rider with back up from Jensen, Newman and Davies, but reckon they will fall short lower down in the side.

Mid table finish at best. Looking forward to making at least a couple of trips down this season.

Do like the look of Jensen with Rosen at Newcastle i believe they are capable of going on to better things.

If Alex Davies does get clearance he could add 2 points to his average, last year he rode as a second string (putting him against 2 heat leaders in most races).

i think you will be dissapointed

Edited by RobinH88

I agree with Lewy on this one, almost all the Devils supporters have remained on the Plymouth forum so far.

I think/hope the one individual who has consistently had a very low opinion of all things connected with the Devils has either gone elsewhere or broken his keyboard in a fit of grumpiness.

• Like 1

The Plymouth track is now a different animal, 2 metres wider on the bends to provide room for the airfence, significantly more banking, n ew surface material, think there will need to be a new track recordfigure because it is so different. Its looking smooth and fast. There are new spectator 2 metre barriers engineered by Neil Johnson? no worries about leaning on these (No nails!! all metal) Startline stands entirely refurbished with new material. Lighting poles are new and an extra one on each bend.

Many thousands spent to improve things and many many hours of work put in by the magnificent volunteer helpers. The Plymouth Mascots (Neville the Devil and Demon will both be competing in the annual race at the horse race course in Yorkshire in April (Weatherby??)

Very interesting conversation with one of the Marjon Sports science lecturers this afternoon regarding the result of the heart monitor tests carried out last season, heart rate peaks when approaching and sitting at start gate but falls right off by half way around the first race lap. Its going to be a fascinating time looking at the results of the medical tests and all the gym equipment is available to Devils and Demons PLUS all the psysios and treatment facilities should they be needed. I believe this could be the most significant sponsorship deal ever in British Speedway, it has the potential to bring Plymouth riders to a whole new level of physical and mental fitness and dont forget that tucked away in the backgroun d there are some highly qualified sports psychiatrists and £15 million sports research centre.

• Like 4

Most of the negative comments are not from plymouth fans,but 'experts' from other clubs

I don't think anyone is claiming to be an expert, merely commenting on what they see on paper. Its not personal, and you need to learn to take it on the chin when your team isn't fancied. Who knows, you may be able to stick two fingers up to everyone come October.