British Speedway Forum
stansolo

Unforgettable Speedway Names

Count Strachwitz most certainly didn't.But was he the only rider with a title to his name or were there other landed gentry riding speedway bikes? :unsure:

Do you mean this Count Strachwitz? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyazinth_Graf...e_und_Camminetz

I think you are possibly right if you do. At least I don't remember him riding for New Cross.

Count Strachwitz most certainly didn't.But was he the only rider with a title to his name or were there other landed gentry riding speedway bikes? :unsure:

Is the guy who rode in meetings in Paris in the early 1930s?

Bengt Brannefors also rode for New Cross.

Indeed, I haven't got round to populating the pre '65 part of the database yet...could be a while!

Do you mean this Count Strachwitz? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyazinth_Graf...e_und_Camminetz

I think you are possibly right if you do. At least I don't remember him riding for New Cross.

Interesting Norbold.I had imagined Count Strachwitz was some obscure guy with a title,rather than someone with a big write up on Wikepedia.Would seem pretty likely that this is the same guy riding speedway pre-war on the continent,if he "inherited the title..."Sounds like he was the only one with a right to call himself by that name at the right time.And then the mention of his sporting prowess

Who was the the shortest rider Peter Craven, Soren Sjosten,Toby harrysson, Billy Bales anyone know

Surely Ian Turner

Jumbo Webb. Raced at California in the late 1950s, may also have moved to Aldershot.

Is the guy who rode in meetings in Paris in the early 1930s?

Am now wondering if maybe Norbolds link is another Count Strachwitz.Maybe this guy was the one riding speedway bikes before the war?He would have been about 30 when he appeared at the Hamburg Dirt Track Arena in 1929 :unsure:

Mauritz von Strachwitz.....had confirmation that it is definitely not Mauritz

But if it was Norbold's Count Strachwitz we could have had the anti-Communist facing up to Clem Beckett who was also in Hamburg in 1929.Maybe a more likely meeting,than Clem and Fay the Fascist :unsure:

Edited by iris123

Always thought Martin Scarisbrick (Newcastle) and Graham Tattersall (Barrow) had wonderful names.

How about Marshall Pugh who won the San Pardo open in Majorca in 1972

Tallest speedway rider Pete Simmons the now Ipswich team manager who rode for them.

Probably one the most "unfortunate" names for a speedway rider would be Ken Last who rode for Norwich in the 60's :sad:

I agree with Norbold on this one-my vote is for Johnnie Chamberlain.

Bob, I thought you were the world's authority on the worlds tallest speedway rider not the shortest! :shock::rolleyes::shock::rolleyes::lol:

Tom.....

I remember reading in the local Sheffield Star about the rider called A. N. Other..... Sad to say he must have been the unluckiest rider of all times because on race day he was always replaced!.... Glad this isn't a serious topic!....

Reading some of my old Aussie programs the Masked rider rode a few times. Also there was Slipper Hills an East Coast USA rider along with Rubberlegs Vicario!

Tom