British Speedway Forum

If young Nick Morris wants to do the right thing, he will honour his verbal/written contract with Swindon, and wait for a Premier gig to fall into his lap..

• Like 1

As I have said before, if Nick has signed a contract for Swindon and doesn't ride for Swindon but another team at EL level - he should get a ban as he is effectively withholding services.

I appreciate that Somerset did the dirty on him but two wrongs don't make a right! I have nothing against him maximising his earning potential but to renege on a deal is so unprofessional and unless it is dealt with harshly then it will open the floodgates.

He'll need to earn more now anyway to cover the accommodation that he now has to look for!

Firstly, Nick has not signed a 2014 contract with Swindon, but that is irrelevant really, Nick has no gripes with Swindon or the Rossiter's, who he remains very close to. The bottom line is he needs to ride in both leagues to earn sufficient money and have the required track time. All this tripe about loyalty really annoys me....and i'm sure it annoys Ash Birks who was dropped at the drop of a hat. It works both ways.

• Like 6

Firstly, Nick has not signed a 2014 contract with Swindon, but that is irrelevant really, Nick has no gripes with Swindon or the Rossiter's, who he remains very close to. The bottom line is he needs to ride in both leagues to earn sufficient money and have the required track time. All this tripe about loyalty really annoys me....and i'm sure it annoys Ash Birks who was dropped at the drop of a hat. It works both ways.[/quotte

Your sound more like Rosco with every post

How do you know it wont break him? Your no more privvy to his financial state than anyone else. I agree that Swindon have been done here but IMO its not Morris to blame. He has done what anyone would do and thats made sure he will be financially sound its what anyone would of done

Not what anyone would do ..some people don't put money above everything .

Not what anyone would do ..some people don't put money above everything .

I think when it comes to work the majority do. I don't know one person who would take a 50% wage cut, and with loss of a PL sign on fee plus wages it wouldn't be far off that for Nick.

Sorry - what have Swindon done wrong thus far in this situation?

If someone has a contract then they can be "dumped" as you put it - if they don't perform. I don't agree with "dumping" someone because there is a perceived better option available. It happens but doesn't mean it's right! I stand by my original comment - ban him!

DId Ash Birks get skanked? no difference i am afraid.

Why should they ? Morris agree to ride for them and he should stick to that ....Morris has enough talent to make a packet out of speedway so it's hardly going to break him and in my eyes he should be trying to get a job in Sweden and Poland rather than being allowed to double up in the pl . He's a lucky boy even to be allowed to do that in the first place .

Your in cloud cookoo land is Cook doubling up? not lack of ambition reality pay the bills it is not easy to get places in Sweden and Poland maybe it is in your world.!

I am sure Morris would have had a gig in the PL by the end of March.

However the EL expected to have first rights over the PL, taking out one of their top stars in any fixture clash. A shame Rosco put lodger Morris above Doyle methinks, where the same would apply. For weeks it has been obvious it could only be Leicester and Sheffield for the kid.

So I guess its recall Mads and please come back Ashley Birks, who is a show in at Belle Vue And is Josh Bates the next through the Blunsdon revolving door? If it is Ritchings or Reade should come in, but please god not Lee Smart.

Let Morris and the puppet string pullers sod off and go without him. Its time Swindon Speedway stood up for their fans

p

The little blighter's put in a transfer request. Hope Sheffield have got plenty of money.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/10919965.Morris_hands_in_a_transfer_request_at_Swindon_Robins/

• Like 1

...........so there is no rift or falling out! Hmmm!

I guess that means personally with the Rossiters.

• Like 1

If young Nick Morris wants to do the right thing, he will honour his verbal/written contract with Swindon, and wait for a Premier gig to fall into his lap..

Does anyone know if a rider is an asset for a club aka Morris is at Swindon then there is no need for the club to have a riding contract in place for a particular season i.e. 2014? I am guessing that if you are an asset you cannot just decide to ride for another club without permission from the club that owns you as an asset. However, a riding contract would set out your pay and other T&C's for the season so surely there is always the possibility that although a rider is an asset he can be unhappy at his earning potential and therfore the only way forward is to seek a transfer or a loan deal for a period untill things can work be worked out.

From a Swindon perspective given the current circumstances I would have thought the long term beneficial approach for Swindon would be to loan Morris out for one season and keep the guy happy by letting him earn suitable money for 2014 before recalling him in 2015 by which time his status may be that he does not need PL racing as opportunities will arrise in Poland or Sweden. A case of Swindon promotion avoiding biting their nose off to spite their face?

...........so there is no rift or falling out! Hmmm!

Maybe he just cant see how he can make a living riding only for swindon in 2014?

Maybe if Swindon agree to loan him out for 2014 they will have him back for 2015 and for many more years to come.

I am sure Morris would have had a gig in the PL by the end of March.

However the EL expected to have first rights over the PL, taking out one of their top stars in any fixture clash. A shame Rosco put lodger Morris above Doyle methinks, where the same would apply. For weeks it has been obvious it could only be Leicester and Sheffield for the kid.

So I guess its recall Mads and please come back Ashley Birks, who is a show in at Belle Vue And is Josh Bates the next through the Blunsdon revolving door? If it is Ritchings or Reade should come in, but please god not Lee Smart.

Let Morris and the puppet string pullers sod off and go without him. Its time Swindon Speedway stood up for their fans

p

We have our full quota of double up riders at Belle Vue, so no chance of Birks joining us

Re the asset system, is this THE ONE.

Now I don't know what level of agreement was reached between Morris and Swindon for this season, i.e. is there a binding contract.

However, if any attempt is made to use the asset system to prevent him moving, due to the financial implications from Morris's perspective, then Morris may be the rider to challenge the legality of the system. Not sure the BSPA as a whole would wish to reach that point, as I have little doubt the system would be found to be an unfair restraint on employment. Whilst it remains a method for clubs to exchange riders at profit but in no way prevents an out of contract rider seeking new employment, then it's (reasonably) ok. The moment it is challenged for restraint, that's an entirely different matter. The whole thing would go.

• Like 1